Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Baron

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-recruiting)

3 hours ago, okiehorn said:

Don’t care how you skin it, this is a big blow. Sam better learn to slide. Shane transfers also Texas back to ground Zero 

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Source-Texas-Casey-Thompson-enters-name-in-NCAA-transfer-portal-126783538/

Agree, but I would put money down that the Horns hold on to one of them.  I think Shane and one are gone.  Ehlinger, Rising/Thompson, and Johnson is a respectable room. I dont understand why either of them would want to transfer if it's likely Shane is moving on and one of them is a clear #2.

13 minutes ago, texbound said:

Agree, but I would put money down that the Horns hold on to one of them.  I think Shane and one are gone.  Ehlinger, Rising/Thompson, and Johnson is a respectable room. I dont understand why either of them would want to transfer if it's likely Shane is moving on and one of them is a clear #2.

Why would you commit and sign with a university if they already have a QB committed. If you’re in a 2 QB class you know your either going to compete to start or sit. Crazy to transfer after one season. Honestly if they are that mentally weak, ✌️.

This isn’t anything new. You aren’t going to be able to get two top rated QB’s per year and they all stay happy and wait. It’s never happened and it’s not ever going to happen. Most kids aren’t going to wait 3 years to play. If they aren’t playing that means you’ve got someone that’s doing the job to keep them from playing. We didn’t have any QB’s for a lot of years, now we have several that can do the job at a higher level than we’ve been used too in awhile. It’s a good problem to have. You just have to keep recruiting at a high level because it’s a fact that there will be transfers.

8 minutes ago, RDHookEm said:

I’m sure RoJo seeing this and licking his chops. He’s an early enrollee too if I’m not mistaken

I bet he is.  The big problem is that you need at least 3 QBs in the QB room every year.  Ideally you want 4, in today's world that just isnt feasible. So, if Shane, Cam, and Casey do transfer then the Horns are in a world of hurt next year if Sam goes down at all.  Have to keep one of them, preferably Cam or Casey.

Not good.  You put time,  money, training, playbook and trust in these players, and they leave you at will with all your secrets? Because they think they're worth more? When they haven't really done anything yet to earn their keep? Can't even honor their commitment for two years?  Talk about entitlement.

6 minutes ago, UTfish said:

Not good.  You put time,  money, training, playbook and trust in these players, and they leave you at will with all your secrets? Because they think they're worth more? When they haven't really done anything yet to earn their keep? Can't even honor their commitment for two years?  Talk about entitlement.

Unfortunately, that's the world we live in.  I coach HS Bball and it's no different at that level.  I have Freshman that think because they do well at the freshman games then they should get starters minutes at Varisty.  Some of them have talent, but they will get destroyed at that level because they're not strong enough or they lack in-game awareness.  Every once in a blue moon we get that player that is ready, but that is rare.  It also doesnt help that I'm constantly getting emails from parents expecting their kid to get moved up or they might not play next year.  Yeah, you read that right.  Some parents just arent logical and inflate the egos even more.  I tell them fine, if your kid doesnt want to compete again next year then they wont play for this team.  This is a team and I'm putting the best compliment of players on the floor at any given time.  One parent told me I was holding their freshman kid back.  Whatever!

Was thinking about the situation and if Herman mishandled the situation but it’s hard to say. Usually you’ll see your young QBs take snaps during garbage time, but this season almost all the games we played were to the wire. These young QBs never got a chance to get in. Wish these 2 the best but I hope we keep one of them.

3 hours ago, RDHookEm said:

Was thinking about the situation and if Herman mishandled the situation but it’s hard to say. Usually you’ll see your young QBs take snaps during garbage time, but this season almost all the games we played were to the wire. These young QBs never got a chance to get in. Wish these 2 the best but I hope we keep one of them.

It is a different game today, but we seemed to have some games in hand, but took our foot off the gas and ended up in a dog fight to the finish. DKR NEVER took his foot off the gas....he just ran in a new crew.....when that new crew started piling on, he ran in the third string and let them go at it full tilt....everyone on the bench had some meaningful minutes. Fact is....in the Natty team of 1969, not one starter logged enough minutes to earn a letter( they had to revise their system).....again....different times and maybe that wouldnt work today. I dont know, but all teams are facing some form of this.....hell...look at Bama....same deal.

You sign the best QB's you can sign and hope one competes his way to top level.The other QB's ( and damned good ones at that) have a decision to make at that time. Would you ask you son to ride the pine for 3 years?

2 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

It is a different game today, but we seemed to have some games in hand, but took our foot off the gas and ended up in a dog fight to the finish. DKR NEVER took his foot off the gas....he just ran in a new crew.....when that new crew started piling on, he ran in the third string and let them go at it full tilt....everyone on the bench had some meaningful minutes. Fact is....in the Natty team of 1969, not one starter logged enough minutes to earn a letter( they had to revise their system).....again....different times and maybe that wouldnt work today. I dont know, but all teams are facing some form of this.....hell...look at Bama....same deal.

You sign the best QB's you can sign and hope one competes his way to top level.The other QB's ( and damned good ones at that) have a decision to make at that time. Would you ask you son to ride the pine for 3 years?

No, just other people’s sons:D

15 minutes ago, poconolonghorn said:

Is this list available to the public?

Supposedly the list is only available to the coaches. If that is true, you have wonder who leaked the names. I've asked that question on OB and it's been absolute crickets. 

Maybe Daniel can enlighten us on how it's supposed to work. 

On 12/22/2018 at 4:05 PM, Eastexhorn said:

If they wanted to keep him should have given a few snaps in a few games.

Garbage time snaps likely weren’t going to appease a kid who felt confident he could unseat Ehlinger and Buechele when he arrived on campus. Also the chances for said garbage snaps this year was quite limited when you think about it. 

23 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Supposedly the list is only available to the coaches. If that is true, you have wonder who leaked the names. I've asked that question on OB and it's been absolute crickets. 

Maybe Daniel can enlighten us on how it's supposed to work. 

Supposed to be available for other schools. Not an open to the public kind of deal. 

I know it’s Christmas and all, but I’ll say this. Just because a player’s name is in the transfer portal doesn’t mean it’s for sure they are leaving. One or both players could eventually decide to stay. The portal basically allows them to test the waters and see what interest levels would be. 

It’s safe to say that Ehlinger’s performance this year caught some folks by surprise and now they realize they might have to wait their turn for two more years. Neither player is ready to unseat Sam and that’s coming from a guy who thinks Rising probably has the best arm talent on campus right now. 

There also hasn’t been any whispers of Buechele leaving at this point. Will be interesting to see how this is navigated by the staff.