Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Baron

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-recruiting)

11 hours ago, drgilbert said:

I hope he is better than the s*** show that was UCLA this season.  Definitely need some grad transfers for next season.

just read the article which said he had actually transferred from Texas Tech to UCLA.  Weird.  

1 hour ago, texasdalton said:

I would bet that Sam is going to leave for the NFL next year. It’s a two year wait for any of our Qbs. Then again Sam is always hurt.

If Sam does not quit missing wide open receivers he will never make an NFL roster. Even though the pro game is changing, the QB's job there will always be to pass the ball.The pros wont give a damn how well he runs.

That said, it looks to me like he will be damned hard to displace the next 2 years. I dont blame the freshmen QB's for starting to look around.It is one thing to wait 2 years, but 3 is too much.

2 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

If Sam does not quit missing wide open receivers he will never make an NFL roster. Even though the pro game is changing, the QB's job there will always be to pass the ball.The pros wont give a damn how well he runs.

That said, it looks to me like he will be damned hard to displace the next 2 years. I dont blame the freshmen QB's for starting to look around.It is one thing to wait 2 years, but 3 is too much.

And right there is how a QB room gets depleted.  I really hope Cam Rising strikes around because I think he is going to be very good. He just looks like he has an innate feel for the game.  I dont know much about Thompson, but he is extremely athletic.

3 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

QBs would be best if they stayed 4 years and started Jr/Sr. Very few guys and no one on our roster will be NFL ready in less than 4. Heck, Vince was here 4 years and was only super status for a season and a half. Sam's no where close to being NFL ready. 

I thought Vince was only here 3 years.....anyway, that is not the point. The point is that these guys are thinking...how will I get NFL ready sitting on the bench for 3 years?

I am not promoting the idea of these guys better think about leaving....I am only saying that I understand why they would.

1 hour ago, oldhorn2 said:

I thought Vince was only here 3 years.....anyway, that is not the point. The point is that these guys are thinking...how will I get NFL ready sitting on the bench for 3 years?

I am not promoting the idea of these guys better think about leaving....I am only saying that I understand why they would.

Vince left after his RS junior season.

We were told Rising recently planned to meet with Herman about a transfer, but were given no indication that he would follow through with those intentions. 

Rising is a talented player who the coaches definitely want to keep and it would be disappointing to see him bolt after one year. 

3 hours ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

We were told Rising recently planned to meet with Herman about a transfer, but were given no indication that he would follow through with those intentions. 

Rising is a talented player who the coaches definitely want to keep and it would be disappointing to see him bolt after one year. 

If they wanted to keep him should have given a few snaps in a few games.

QB transfers bound to happen.  I’ll take 2 more years of Sam vs worrying about an underclass transfer.  Of course Sam needs to stay healthy.  If Buechele moves on we will have talent on campus still, but young and unproven.  I recall numerous QBs who left UT over the years who were successful elsewhere: Clements to BYU, Kinne to Tulsa,  Snead to Mississippi, Adam Dunn to MLB, and of course Marty Cherry to the modeling runways of Paris:D.  Always makes me wonder if maybe a few of those guys were better than what we had on campus, but it usually worked out for us with the guy who stuck around.   Now let’s go Sam!

21 minutes ago, Bevostuntdouble said:

Wtf is up with this mass exodus as QB?! Wtf

A couple of things. 

1. Either QB transferring is not a done deal. They are exploring their options. 

2. It could very well be an indication that Shane has indicated he is staying. 

I would think that it would be almost unheard of to have 5 scholarship QB's on the roster and I would also be surprised if both QB's transfer considering that they have to sit out another year. 

Who would want to ride the bench for 2 more years and not start until basically their redshirt junior year?  From Rising’s stand point I can absolutely understand why he wants to transfer, he’s better than Sam in my opinion

2 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

A couple of things. 

1. Either QB transferring is not a done deal. They are exploring their options. 

2. It could very well be an indication that Shane has indicated he is staying. 

I would think that it would be almost unheard of to have 5 scholarship QB's on the roster and I would also be surprised if both QB's transfer considering that they have to sit out another year. 

Yeah, but exploring their options is pretty clearly also saying that they are not happy in their current circumstance. 

If Shane isn’t going to be the guy I would certainly like to move on to one of the younger guys, preferably Rising. 

28 minutes ago, Bevostuntdouble said:

Yeah, but exploring their options is pretty clearly also saying that they are not happy in their current circumstance. 

If Shane isn’t going to be the guy I would certainly like to move on to one of the younger guys, preferably Rising. 

Agree, I think Shane's ceiling has been met. Time to give the ball to Rising, should Sam go down. If Rising stays, that needs to happen this spring.

If Rising leaves, then Thompson should be given 2nd team snaps.

Casey Thompson has now put his name in the transfer portal, according to TFB. Apparently, there are some issues at home in combination with the lack of PT here. He will not be practicing with the team this Saturday and instead will be going home to discuss his future with his family.

According to my friend in Austin, Thompson seems the more likely to leave as of now (between him and Rising). But it could easily turn in to both leaving.

To compound matters, looks like Buechele may be seeking a grad transfer thing.

Suddenly, its Sam and Roschon?

Me-llinials

me first attitude.  Want to play immediately.  You think you’re good enough to start at Texas, but the only way to play immediately is an FCS school.  If you transfer to another FBS school you’re sitting regardless.    The thought process is dumb to me.