Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-Recruiting)

Baron

From CTJ

"If there is a year to play Alabama in Tuscaloosa under Nick Saban not called 2007, 2023 is it. Seriously, folks should go look at what they're losing and what they return. The transfer portal didn't go the way they hoped it would, either. We'll what they land in the May 1-15 period, but the rest of the college football world has already sent them a dead guy in the elevator with the words "Ho Ho Ho. Now I have a machine gun too." written in blood on his sweatshirt for them to recognize. 

On offense, they lose 3 starting OL, Bryce Young, Gibbs, and Latu. Milroe isn't an answer at QB and Simpson didn't have a great fall from folks who would know. They tried to lure Drake Maye with $4M in NIL of which they didn't even have a quarter of that raised. Speculatively, they'd conveyed the same Bryce Young corporate treatment would be there but couldn't guarantee it. For one, you can't have a guy in the Heisman House who didn't win a Heisman if you're Nissan. Their WRs don't scare anyone. Burton isn't a witch. McLellan is fine but he's not Gibbs. 

On defense, they lost 8 starters and other key backups. They lost 3 DL including Will Anderson. They lost To'oTo'o and Moody at LB. They lost 4 of their 5 starters in the seconday including Branch, a projected 1st rounder. They do return Dallas Turner, who had a shit season, and McKinstry, both of whom are projected 1st rounders after next season, fwiw. I know and get it, "Alabama replaces tons of guys every year and doesn't miss a beat." That's true until it isn't. The guys they're reloading with this year have less experience and less hype than any group before them. Also, they've rarely lost the vast (64%) majority of their starters in a single cycle."

More CTJ

"Regarding Roberson, I am betting Gerry would have preferred to not say shit about him coming in to visit, but the high schools have way too much college coach and reporter traffic going through them right now for that shit to not get out between now and then. Carrington is the guy making the push to ASU. 

Regarding overall secondary outlook, things look good in terms of roster development and retention. Roberson is just too good not to go after once his sentiments towards Texas changed. Williams is a head hunter, Roberson is a better candidate for coverage. Would be great to have both of them. Allen has gotten big, so this will be a big spring in terms of seeing if he's going to get looks at safety and make the most of them.

While the CB signee is exciting, Texas is pretty loaded at CB. Watts, Holmes, and Brooks are all going to get starter's minutes irrespective of who the actual 2 starters are, and they're apparently fine with that. Muhammad and the others from 2022 are going to have to get in where they fit in.

Other '23 stuff - 

-Hill's question mark is coverage, since he hasn't had to show as much of that. He's the best downhill LB in the last few classes, which is helpful for Texas, but if we're talking high performing, high draft pick type, we're going to find out he can really cover too.

-Vasek is expected to push for starter's minutes at one of the outside spots as an early enrollee. I'm skeptical, but passing it on.

-The move to the SEC played a big role for this class, and of course will for those in the future, and more than the 2022 class, as figured, but it wasn't a trivial impact. 

-ATM's 2022 season is evidence of what happens in recruiting when you have NIL and nothing else. You can still land some guys that are all about the NIL but building high quality depth is going to be tough for non-contenders. NIL is first and second on recruits' and their handlers' minds, but development and relationships are essential to the mix for most guys. We know this, but the example maybe puts it in sharper relief. 

-North Carolina's combo of their 2021 season and being flatfooted on NIL combined to show off a 28th ranked class after UNC had been spending time in the top 10 in prior classes. I give Mack one more season. 

-Make of this what you will, but even though Bama's class was #1 on paper, some folks don't feel like they've signed the true difference makers in the past two classes that they're normally signing. Those guys are going elsewhere, slowly but surely. Nick Saban is 71 and even while feasting off the blood of small, nubile children can't delay the inevitable. Recruits in this next cycle will be talking to a guy who will be 75 their true junior season. Go look at what happened with Bowden when he hit his 70's and he had neighbors competing for and winning national titles. They started picking his pocket bit by little bit."

5 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

From CTJ

"If there is a year to play Alabama in Tuscaloosa under Nick Saban not called 2007, 2023 is it. Seriously, folks should go look at what they're losing and what they return. The transfer portal didn't go the way they hoped it would, either. We'll what they land in the May 1-15 period, but the rest of the college football world has already sent them a dead guy in the elevator with the words "Ho Ho Ho. Now I have a machine gun too." written in blood on his sweatshirt for them to recognize. 

On offense, they lose 3 starting OL, Bryce Young, Gibbs, and Latu. Milroe isn't an answer at QB and Simpson didn't have a great fall from folks who would know. They tried to lure Drake Maye with $4M in NIL of which they didn't even have a quarter of that raised. Speculatively, they'd conveyed the same Bryce Young corporate treatment would be there but couldn't guarantee it. For one, you can't have a guy in the Heisman House who didn't win a Heisman if you're Nissan. Their WRs don't scare anyone. Burton isn't a witch. McLellan is fine but he's not Gibbs. 

On defense, they lost 8 starters and other key backups. They lost 3 DL including Will Anderson. They lost To'oTo'o and Moody at LB. They lost 4 of their 5 starters in the seconday including Branch, a projected 1st rounder. They do return Dallas Turner, who had a shit season, and McKinstry, both of whom are projected 1st rounders after next season, fwiw. I know and get it, "Alabama replaces tons of guys every year and doesn't miss a beat." That's true until it isn't. The guys they're reloading with this year have less experience and less hype than any group before them. Also, they've rarely lost the vast (64%) majority of their starters in a single cycle."

Don't  know who nor care who CTJ is, but I'll call some B.S. on the Alabama stuff. Will have to go through it more to see what he/she/it ( for the non binary people).  

What does he mean by Allen has gotten bigger? 

7 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I think it does

The title says "5-stars who"... and doesn't say anything about p5 schools.  

It could be that only 5-stars have accomplished this , but you can't tell that from the title. I would guess this isn't uncommon at jucos, o other non BCS schools. 

9 hours ago, dssl said:

Interesting list. I wonder how much longer the list would be if it included all true freshman from P5 schools.

The list can also indicate where depth/talent is missing which is why the list is shorter.  Getting dinged and out for a game also shortens the list.  I was most surprised that Alabama had 2 as Saban has had better depth, although they also have had more 5 starts.  The surprise to Cal/UH having one is that they got a 5 star.  Regardless, a very nice list to be on.  Congrats Kelvin.

9 hours ago, BWilk55 said:

Great to see the university and athletic department showing support for the many LGBTQ+ students and student athletes on campus. 

This is showing way too much support for a very small segment of society.   Should the university also support heterosexual day as well?   Why must we inject this crap into our sports?   Why not just promote the team and let people enjoy watching a sport separate from any political ideology?

Sports are meant to be a reprieve from our day to day responsibilities and trials.  Stop throwing this crap in our faces; especially those of us who believe the gay lifestyle is immoral and inconsistent with our religious beliefs. 

2 hours ago, UT1983 said:

This is showing way too much support for a very small segment of society.   Should the university also support heterosexual day as well?   Why must we inject this crap into our sports?   Why not just promote the team and let people enjoy watching a sport separate from any political ideology?

Sports are meant to be a reprieve from our day to day responsibilities and trials.  Stop throwing this crap in our faces; especially those of us who believe the gay lifestyle is immoral and inconsistent with our religious beliefs. 

exactly. 

Additinoally, is WBB doing so well with the woke crowd that they can piss off or irritate the majority of paying fans?  I dont know ANY women's sports that can afford to do that. 

When my daughters were young, I use to take them to UT WBB games in spite of Jody Conradt. My grandkids are about the age to go to games without trouble. There is NO WAY I'm going to take them to a game that openly advocates homosexuality or lifestyle.  aint happenin,'  there's too much other positive stuff to do

25 minutes ago, tejasrulz said:

I was at the Texas vs ou game when he started for an injured Shea Morenz. When we heard Shea wasn't going to play, we were worried. Then we watched The King of Soul do his thing, along with Stoney Clark. 

I was at that one. I will never forget Stoney “stoning” the ou back at the goal line and the place going crazy! 

11 hours ago, david ficken said:

Don't  know who nor care who CTJ is, but I'll call some B.S. on the Alabama stuff. Will have to go through it more to see what he/she/it ( for the non binary people).  

What does he mean by Allen has gotten bigger? 

Let me know when you're ready to make your case.

Allen has gotten bigger. He has been in a weight program.

6 hours ago, dssl said:

The title says "5-stars who"... and doesn't say anything about p5 schools.  

It could be that only 5-stars have accomplished this , but you can't tell that from the title. I would guess this isn't uncommon at jucos, o other non BCS schools. 

I think you can assume that there are not very many Freshman players who start the entire season, from game 1.

2 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I think you can assume that there are not very many Freshman players who start the entire season, from game 1.

Certainly not many, but I would be surprised if there wasn't a single non 5-star from any school to meet the criteria. 

10 hours ago, UT1983 said:

Been bleeding orange since 64 Cotton bowl,but now having 2nd thoughts