Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-Recruiting)

Baron

I will say it now...Arch Manning will not red shirt this year....not saying he is going to start, not saying he is going to get a shot, but just a feeling that his maturation process with early enrollment is going to make him a "mature" freshman

3 hours ago, texbound said:

Watching the KC/Jax game and the thought occured to me that Chris Jackson is going to be the UT WR coach. Just the fact that they have not made an announcement by now leads me there. 

I know, I know, not a groundbreaking thought.  I don't like KC, but I want Jax to lose so UT can move forward.

Okay. Jacksonville lost. Let's go get our new WR coach. 

3 hours ago, Hiwood said:

I will say it now...Arch Manning will not red shirt this year....not saying he is going to start, not saying he is going to get a shot, but just a feeling that his maturation process with early enrollment is going to make him a "mature" freshman

What do you mean? You think he will play in 5 or more games, or you think he overtakes Quinn and start 5 or more games?

It hopefully doesn't matter. If he is on campus for more than 4 years, something has gone awry. I would expect him to be around for 3 years, so the redshirt won't really come into play - if its 3 or 4 years. 

Being that it doesn't matter to redshirt him or not, I hope he is able to take the backup spot and I hope enough games go well early that he can get some game action to further develop. I don't hope that he takes over the starting role however, I think that would mean less than great things for the 2023 season.

9 hours ago, BWilk55 said:

What do you mean? You think he will play in 5 or more games, or you think he overtakes Quinn and start 5 or more games?

It hopefully doesn't matter. If he is on campus for more than 4 years, something has gone awry. I would expect him to be around for 3 years, so the redshirt won't really come into play - if its 3 or 4 years. 

Being that it doesn't matter to redshirt him or not, I hope he is able to take the backup spot and I hope enough games go well early that he can get some game action to further develop. I don't hope that he takes over the starting role however, I think that would mean less than great things for the 2023 season.

If last year taught the world of college football anything, its that you need more than one good QB1. Look at TCU, look at Michigan, both of their QB1 were not the starter on day 1. Look at us our QB1 goes down in the 2nd quarter of the game and thank goodness we had HC, and even he should have come out when he got hurt. If you think QE is going to go the entire season without getting dinged or having his bell rung you are being myopic. All im saying is Arch and his family didnt decide on early enrollment because he wanted to get out of high school early, he enrolled so he could be game ready ASAP whether its game 1 or game 6

5 hours ago, Hiwood said:

If last year taught the world of college football anything, its that you need more than one good QB1. Look at TCU, look at Michigan, both of their QB1 were not the starter on day 1. Look at us our QB1 goes down in the 2nd quarter of the game and thank goodness we had HC, and even he should have come out when he got hurt. If you think QE is going to go the entire season without getting dinged or having his bell rung you are being myopic. All im saying is Arch and his family didnt decide on early enrollment because he wanted to get out of high school early, he enrolled so he could be game ready ASAP whether its game 1 or game 6

Arch and his family have long said they wanted a redshirt year. I'm sure he'd play if you asked him to, but he wanted time to grow and develop, which is why Ewers being here didn't bother him.

8 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Arch and his family have long said they wanted a redshirt year. I'm sure he'd play if you asked him to, but he wanted time to grow and develop, which is why Ewers being here didn't bother him.

a normal school term is 9 months....Jan - Sept is 9 months....there is your redshirt year....if he had enrolled in the fall I would agree with you, but honestly I can not see him or his family waiting  till Sept 2024 to take meaningful snaps..QB's get hurt, you know that , you said you played the position in HS, all 3 QB1, QB2, QB3 got dinged or were hurt, most of the year in MM case...Honestly do you see AM sitting behind MM, the same goes for the RB room, this kid Baxter is supposed to be a legit 5 Star, do you see him leapfrogging Brooks or Blue, let alone Kielan R

Arch may leave after 3 years, but on the other hand if things go well he will be set for life making serious NIL money.  He may see his degree as important. If he believes staying an extra year will better prepare him for the NFL then he likely stays.

As far as the back up role, it's silly to assume Murphy has no chance.  It sounds like he too has lots of potential,  so you never know how it will play out next year,  or even going forward. 

44 minutes ago, Hiwood said:

a normal school term is 9 months....Jan - Sept is 9 months....there is your redshirt year....if he had enrolled in the fall I would agree with you, but honestly I can not see him or his family waiting  till Sept 2024 to take meaningful snaps..QB's get hurt, you know that , you said you played the position in HS, all 3 QB1, QB2, QB3 got dinged or were hurt, most of the year in MM case...Honestly do you see AM sitting behind MM, the same goes for the RB room, this kid Baxter is supposed to be a legit 5 Star, do you see him leapfrogging Brooks or Blue, let alone Kielan R

I'm with SHA on this one. He's a team guy and will do what is asked, but prefers to sit it out on his 1st year. Family made sure that everyone knew that was their preference.

4 minutes ago, dssl said:

Arch may leave after 3 years, but on the other hand if things go well he will be set for life making serious NIL money.  He may see his degree as important. If he believes staying an extra year will better prepare him for the NFL then he likely stays.

As far as the back up role, it's silly to assume Murphy has no chance.  It sounds like he too has lots of potential,  so you never know how it will play out next year,  or even going forward. 

Arch is not taking any NIL money this year.  The Family said he probably wouldn't for the 1st couple of years.

7 minutes ago, Big Daddy Cane said:

Arch is not taking any NIL money this year.  The Family said he probably wouldn't for the 1st couple of years.

Thats interesting,  hadn't heard that.  Any explanation of why?

7 hours ago, Hiwood said:

I don't think the Mannings were thinking the same way you are here.

Yes, QBs get hurt. Ours have historically become injured because of an ongoing OL crisis. IMO, that crisis is over. Our QBs should stay upright longer. If Ewers goes down, then Murphy is your guy.

If Ewers and Murphy both become injured, then I think Sark would pull the shirt off Manning.

Don't discount Murphy, who is more ready for prime time than Manning is at this moment. So yeah, I do see Manning learning the system behind Murphy. Behind Murphy.

If Baxter deserves the starting position, then he should have it. RB is a whole different animal. Baxter may be the next Bijan, who was also a 5-star RB in HS. I expect Brooks to get the lion's share of the snaps unless he's injured or Baxter is markedly better.

KR has proven he's not an every down back. Blue regressed during that lost year he had and he hasn't got back to form yet.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, TFloss32 said:

IT reporting Jahmal Fenner, Sr. of Austin LBJ is expected to be the new high school relations guy.

They added Fenner is one of the guys recommended by Chris Gilbert before he left for North Texas, and Sark definitely did his research on how Fenner would go over with the Dallas community.

Arch clearly doesn't want to start as a freshman. Neither of his uncles wanted to start either as Freshman. Eli did RS and didn't start as a RS freshman either. Peyton didn't RS only because the 1st and 2nd stringer got hurt by the middle of the year. 

He does want to compete and I expect the competition this spring between him and Malik to be intense. But either way he fully doesn't expect to start. Even if he showed well, I expect Quinn to win the job back. Arch is all about long term success. The family doesn't want to risk throwing him into the fire too early and losing all confidence.

39 minutes ago, TB14 said:

Arch clearly doesn't want to start as a freshman. Neither of his uncles wanted to start either as Freshman. Eli did RS and didn't start as a RS freshman either. Peyton didn't RS only because the 1st and 2nd stringer got hurt by the middle of the year. 

He does want to compete and I expect the competition this spring between him and Malik to be intense. But either way he fully doesn't expect to start. Even if he showed well, I expect Quinn to win the job back. Arch is all about long term success. The family doesn't want to risk throwing him into the fire too early and losing all confidence.

Bijan's parents felt very much the same way. College is just a stepping stone and not a career for most elite 5* talents.  Bijan's parents didnt want him over used in college, however, when Bijan took the field it was too hard to not give him snaps. He ended up starting the last 6 games as a freshman. 

You can tell when parents are mature, confident, and have their priorities in order.  They dont need their children to give them recognition or use them to make a buck. 

2 hours ago, TFloss32 said:

They added Fenner is one of the guys recommended by Chris Gilbert before he left for North Texas, and Sark definitely did his research on how Fenner would go over with the Dallas community.

Thanks TFloss. Any word on who the candidates are for this role in the Houston area?