Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-Recruiting)

Baron

36 minutes ago, RickyFlair said:

He wouldn’t discuss “coaching” with his agent.  He’s agent would discuss employment opportunities. 
You can look at it however you would like but his tweet leaves plenty of wiggle room. 

Okay. I have never been good with prevarication.

All of this wouldn't even been discussed if IT would have kept their mouths shut.  Meanwhile. here we are worrying about something that has not happened or may not happen. Why not wait until there is real news to report as oppose to hearsay and rumors. Oh, silly me.  It is about subscriptions. What was I thinking? 🙄

5 minutes ago, 63_Texas_1 said:

All of this wouldn't even been discussed if IT would have kept their mouths shut.  Meanwhile. here we are worrying about something that has not happened or may not happen. Why not wait until there is real news to report as oppose to hearsay and rumors. Oh, silly me.  It is about subscriptions. What was I thinking? 🙄

Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor not a magazine editor!

53 minutes ago, RickyFlair said:

He wouldn’t discuss “coaching” with his agent.  He’s agent would discuss employment opportunities. 
You can look at it however you would like but his tweet leaves plenty of wiggle room. 

Plus… the fact that there is no hire yet lends credibility to this rumor…. Maybe we’ll hear something after Sunday??

I think a fascinating position to watch in the Spring will be OL.  We have a great OL coach - with a wealth of talent.  With Christian Jones returning, I wouldn't be surprised to see the starting OL look something like this:  Center - Majors (I wasn't a huge fan until this past season).  If he would stop double clutching his snap and taking a 5 yard penalty once per game, he'd be even better.  Guards:  Jones and Campbell.  I don't think Campbell can be kept out of the starting lineup in 2023, and Jones projects as an NFL guard - not tackle, so I don't think he'd object to the move.  Tackle:  Banks and Williams.  This would put two starters from last year as top backups - getting a lot of reps.  Connor (starting guard in 22) could actually backup at Tackle and Robertson (starting guard in 22) is a true Guard.  There's also Umeozulu - who will push hard for playing time somewhere and several other talented redshirts and freshmen coming in. 

The future is bright here!  I project this to be the best OL in a long, long time.  Probably since the Mackovic years (Neil + Brockermeyer).    

2 hours ago, 83Dee said:

I think a fascinating position to watch in the Spring will be OL.  We have a great OL coach - with a wealth of talent.  With Christian Jones returning, I wouldn't be surprised to see the starting OL look something like this:  Center - Majors (I wasn't a huge fan until this past season).  If he would stop double clutching his snap and taking a 5 yard penalty once per game, he'd be even better.  Guards:  Jones and Campbell.  I don't think Campbell can be kept out of the starting lineup in 2023, and Jones projects as an NFL guard - not tackle, so I don't think he'd object to the move.  Tackle:  Banks and Williams.  This would put two starters from last year as top backups - getting a lot of reps.  Connor (starting guard in 22) could actually backup at Tackle and Robertson (starting guard in 22) is a true Guard.  There's also Umeozulu - who will push hard for playing time somewhere and several other talented redshirts and freshmen coming in. 

The future is bright here!  I project this to be the best OL in a long, long time.  Probably since the Mackovic years (Neil + Brockermeyer).    

That is a solid OL right there.   Completely agree on Campbell.

I'm still not 100% on Majors.  I thought he did a yeomans job at C, but I could see an open comp this year and Hutson sliding over to C.

One additional question though, we keep throwing Cam Williams in there at RT, but are we sure he is ready?  I haven't seen any news about his progression. Some guys need a couple of years before they're ready.

If Cam Williams is ready, then I would like to see an OL from L to R:

Banks, Campbell, Majors/Hutson, C. Jones and Williams.

70% of the runs to the left side behind Banks and Campbell.  Jones can be that veteran presence help bring Cam along at RT.

7 hours ago, 83Dee said:

If the Oline is good that means Ewers will be great and so will the RBs and WRs.

a good Oline is the missing piece.

10 hours ago, 83Dee said:

Good thoughts. I'm about 90% complete transferring my 2022 spreadsheet to 2023. I'm trying to visualize what you are saying. Is what is circled in red close to what you are saying? I spend a lot of time on the OL & DL because I think that is where real success originates

2023 UT OL-DL spreadsheet(edit).jpg

1 hour ago, Soldierhorn said:

Good thoughts. I'm about 90% complete transferring my 2022 spreadsheet to 2023. I'm trying to visualize what you are saying. Is what is circled in red close to what you are saying? I spend a lot of time on the OL & DL because I think that is where real success originates

2023 UT OL-DL spreadsheet(edit).jpg

That is lineup I would like to see.  Like I said, I think Majors and Hutson could battle it out for the starting C spot, but the rest should be it (if Cam Williams is ready).

47 minutes ago, texbound said:

That is lineup I would like to see.  Like I said, I think Majors and Hutson could battle it out for the starting C spot, but the rest should be it (if Cam Williams is ready).

Technically, Robertson was recruited as a center and he will have a year under his belt. I have heard Agbo might get a shot there. I think they like Majors but want more out of the position.

25 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Technically, Robertson was recruited as a center and he will have a year under his belt. I have heard Agbo might get a shot there. I think they like Majors but want more out of the position.

Nice.  As I said, Majors did a decent job, but he got handled a lot. Maybe another off-season to bulk up and stronger will do the trick.

On 1/18/2023 at 7:23 PM, texbound said:

A couple of days ago, IIRC, IT's Gerry Hamilton stated that he's hearing that Campbell will play RG in Spring training while Neto will compete at LG. Apparently, the coaches want to train Cam William at both LT and RT.  Its a good idea to train the probable 2024 LT.

LT Banks    Williams
LG Conner    Neto
OC Majors
RG Campbell
RT Williams

I diont read too much into these kind of statements in the off-season because the coaches might simply want to evaluate different possibilities; however, it could give an indication where the coaches might want to go with personnel changes if they need to.  IT also said that Hutson went through soldier surgery and would likely be out of spring training; this pus Campbell at RG anyway.  Supposedly, Robertson will also miss spring training, also with a shoulder injury.  

58 minutes ago, Soldierhorn said:

A couple of days ago, IIRC, IT's Gerry Hamilton stated that he's hearing that Campbell will play RG in Spring training while Neto will compete at LG. Apparently, the coaches want to train Cam William at both LT and RT.  Its a good idea to train the probable 2024 LT.

LT Banks    Williams
LG Conner    Neto
OC Majors
RG Campbell
RG Williams

I diont read too much into these kind of statements in the off-season because the coaches might simply want to evaluate different possibilities; however, it could give an indication where the coaches might want to go with personnel changes if they need to.  IT also said that Hutson went through soldier surgery and would likely be out of spring training; this pus Campbell at RG anyway.  Supposedly, Robertson will also miss spring training, also with a shoulder injury.  

Thats too bad. This would have been a good time for Robertson to shine.

It sure is nice to have quality OL and quality depth.

I went on ahead and added Adonai Mitchell to the recruiting/scholarship section of my spreadsheet as a transfer from UGA

He needs to be wherever he is going this week and the reports are he is on campus now.  The Georgia portal has Mitchell 100% CB to Texas 

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Season/2023-Football/TransferPortal/?institutionkey=24100

WR-recruiting spreadsheet[230119].jpg

3 minutes ago, Soldierhorn said:

I went on ahead and added Adonai Mitchell to my spreadsheet as a transfer from UGA

He needs to be on wherever he is going this week and the reports are he is on campus now.  The Georgia portal has Mitchell 100% CB to Texas 

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Season/2023-Football/TransferPortal/?institutionkey=24100

WR-recruiting spreadsheet[230119].jpg

Cool spreadsheet.  Question, I see you have Jelani McDonald at WR.  I was under the impression he would be on defense (either LB or S).  I know he was listed as an athlete and played WR in HS.

16 minutes ago, texbound said:

Cool spreadsheet.  Question, I see you have Jelani McDonald at WR.  I was under the impression he would be on defense (either LB or S).  I know he was listed as an athlete and played WR in HS.

yeah, that's the problem with ATH designation and you are probably right. Not always but generally speaking they either end up as a receiver or DB. I put the 2023 class on there about 2 weeks ago and  waiting on confirmation. From a sheer numbers standpoint, I should go ahead and move him to DB; that makes more sense. Once the info is on the spreadsheet, it's an easy data move.  I'll input a note so I dont forget