Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-Recruiting)


Baron
 Share

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

 

I like Joel Klatt and agree with him a lot. But not this time. 

Arch hasn't even enrolled. He has not even taken a practice snap.

Ewers showed early in the season what he is capable of. I think we'll see it return at the bowl.

Ideally, Arch redshirts and Murphy is your firm #2 guy next season.

This is just how all big time programs should be when you’re loaded.  It doesn’t matter if you’re a 5star/4star or a starter, the next guy behind you on the roster is just as talented or even better and just waiting for his turn.  And when he gets his turn, you may have just lost yours.

we’ve needed this at the 40 for so long and haven’t had it since the mid 2000s despite good recruiting classes.  

now let’s hope the coaches play the best guys and not favorites or upperclassmen just to appease them.   I don’t think that’s what I see from Sark and gang.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Sunkist said:

This is just how all big time programs should be when you’re loaded.  It doesn’t matter if you’re a 5star/4star or a starter, the next guy behind you on the roster is just as talented or even better and just waiting for his turn.  And when he gets his turn, you may have just lost yours.

we’ve needed this at the 40 for so long and haven’t had it since the mid 2000s despite good recruiting classes.  

now let’s hope the coaches play the best guys and not favorites or upperclassmen just to appease them.   I don’t think that’s what I see from Sark and gang.  

I agree, but how much better shape would we be in if Ewers beat out Manning and Murphy. I'm ready for another multi-year starter at QB. It can't hurt Texas if Manning can develop for a year under Sark.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dont know how the Ewers-The World is Coming to an End-Saga started, but there is nothing substantial to the whole premise. I hate to make a generalization, but this whole topic sounds like a bunch of old ladies at the local salon gossiping and each one adding a worse scenario. Some of you might consider doubling up on your anti-depressant...or go down to your local beauty salon to get some old ladies' take on something unsubstantiated to worry about.  How about if there is an earthquake in Austin what will become of next year's football season? 🙄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, 63_Texas_1 said:

I dont know how the Ewers-The World is Coming to an End-Saga started, but there is nothing substantial to the whole premise. I hate to make a generalization, but this whole topic sounds like a bunch of old ladies at the local salon gossiping and each one adding a worse scenario. Some of you might consider doubling up on your anti-depressant...or go down to your local beauty salon to get some old ladies' take on something unsubstantiated to worry about.  How about if there is an earthquake in Austin what will become of next year's football season? 🙄

It's probably just me, but I really don't even know what it is you are trying to say here 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Texas football culture seems strong...Anyone notice how at least 4 guys that are gone next year were on the sideline for this game. Roschon, Bijan and Overshown all showed up to support their guys. Angilau was out there too, even though he is transferring to Oregon. Nice to see that and shows that the locker room has healed after the cancer that was Tom Herman.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, BWilk55 said:

With the bowl game stats, Jatavion Sanders set the record for most receptions by a TE. He moved to 2nd in season receiving yards, tied with David Thomas. 

Another successful season next yer and he will move to the top of the ranks for TE catches and yards and potentially TDs for a career.

If he builds on this year with another strong performance, it could be his last year in Burnt Orange. Another reason it would be great to get Duce. If that is even a possibility. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, TFloss32 said:

Worthy needed some humility tonight.

Hopefully he got it.

 

Hopefully.

Right now, I would be hard pressed to waste a draft pick on a player like him if I was an NFL GM.  I'm not going to sit here and say he sucks, because he doesn't.  However, he is too unreliable right now to 1. track the ball or make proper adjustments to the ball; 2. Catch the ball even when put in his hands.  Any NFL GM would look elsewhere to fill that need.  What good is top end speed if you don't have the ball?  Might as well just run track. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, texbound said:

Hopefully.

Right now, I would be hard pressed to waste a draft pick on a player like him if I was an NFL GM.  I'm not going to sit here and say he sucks, because he doesn't.  However, he is too unreliable right now to 1. track the ball or make proper adjustments to the ball; 2. Catch the ball even when put in his hands.  Any NFL GM would look elsewhere to fill that need.  What good is top end speed if you don't have the ball?  Might as well just run track. 

Great points Tex. Two areas that Coach Marion should be able develop if he is the coach we all hope he is. Other than Witt, I didn’t see a lot of development in the WR room this year. Some of that is on the QB but our wr need considerable improvement over the next few months if this team is to take the next step forward.jmho 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, NEOkHorn said:

Great points Tex. Two areas that Coach Marion should be able develop if he is the coach we all hope he is. Other than Witt, I didn’t see a lot of development in the WR room this year. Some of that is on the QB but our wr need considerable improvement over the next few months if this team is to take the next step forward.jmho 

Perfect example was UW last night.  how many times did Penix overthrow his WRs on deep shots?  A lot.  However, his WRs made adjustments to other balls throughout the game.  Case in point was the great catch by the WR for a TD.  WR made an adjustment on a very low throw.  Would Worthy have done that?  probably not.  If it isn't chest level then Worthy doesn't adjust to the ball.  

Another perfect example was on the 1st pass on the last drive.  QE put the ball in a perfect spot (only spot he could put it since the CB was on the outside) and had Worthy squared in front of the S then he might still be running.  Instead, Worthy stayed on a straight line and the S almost made a pick to end the game.  Little things like that make a decent WR great.

I'd like to add one more point on this, being a coach for years I learned that you can only teach so much to players.  Some just have it and some don't.  Marion can preach ball tracking and catching with your hands all day long, but if the player doesn't get it then you can't squeeze it out of him. Like a S, some guys just have the ability to be a ball hawk and have an instinct for the football while others can still be a good S but without the ball skills.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMO there is a problem with X’s development.  I don’t know if its mental or physical but he has issues locating the ball, running the routes correctly, and then dropping balls that hit him in the hands.  He has good speed and quickness but that’s not enough.  Just like with Quinn it’s not enough to be able to make all the throws and have a golden arm.  The application of talent on the field is how guys become superstars.  So far we have the talent but cannot seem to translate it to the field. And once again being able to adjust your play calling is critical.  We seem to have no plan other than our plan and when our plan get stymied we don’t know what to do.  Frustrating loss.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/29/2022 at 8:11 AM, TB14 said:

Ewers will have the job next year. It’s not really a debate. I guess we can try to make it one if we are bored. But barring injury he is your starter. 

Murphy better be ready cause going back to Ewers hs days,he been injury prone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

Our Affiliation

USATDP_Logo.png

Quick Links

×
×
  • Create New...