Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-Recruiting)

Baron

1 hour ago, Big Daddy Cane said:

There's too many bowl games anyway. I'm ok not watching Middle Tenn St. play Northern Arizona in the ijustgothit.com or the Mcribisback bowl.

I agree, bowl games have become meaningless unless you are in the CFP rotation

2 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

We are the faster and more talented team. They have strong QB play and good supporting cast. I'm hoping our pass rush can keep him off balance throughout the game.

There are plays to be made on that defense though.

They have the #2 P5 offense. That's gonna be a tough out for the defense.

16 minutes ago, Hiwood said:

I agree, bowl games have become meaningless unless you are in the CFP rotation

They've always been meaningless in that sense. This is true both in the BCS era and before. 

Back then, players didn't skip bowl games. Bowl games were a chance to showcase your team (and your personal skills) on a national stage. Teams often played their best games in bowls. Lots of pageantry and hype. Most bowls just tried to get good competitive match ups.

But the national champ has always been decided by one or two bowls and thats it.

Think about the Ice Bowl II, I think it was the '79 Cotton Bowl, Houston vs ND (Montana). When you see clips of that game, notice people showed up despite the horrible and bone chilling weather. People cared.

I think these days it has become watered-down too much. Too many bowls, too many 6-6 teams in bowl games. So you end up with bowl games that really shouldn't exist and the public doesn't have much of an appetite for 6-6 matchups.

I'll probably watch a couple of games I otherwise wouldn't because I know I won't see college football again for several months.

4 hours ago, david ficken said:

The women's volleyball regional games start later this morning with Gophers vs. Buckeyes at 11am ct on ESPN 2 followed by Marquette vs. Texas 30 minutes after the end of the 1st game. The regional final on Saturday at 6pm on ESPNU.  

ESPN is showing all the games. Oregon and Nebraska are tied 1-1, would be a huge upset if the Ducks hold on.

I've often wondered if a player can drop out of football but retain a scholarship to complete his academic course of study to graduation. That would provide a path for those who have been unable to break into the two deep to stay in school and not enter the portal. Seems like the team would benefit by making the football scholarship available and the student would benefit by being able to complete his degree.

• TFloss32 changed the title to Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-Recruiting)
1 hour ago, Coot said:

I've often wondered if a player can drop out of football but retain a scholarship to complete his academic course of study to graduation. That would provide a path for those who have been unable to break into the two deep to stay in school and not enter the portal. Seems like the team would benefit by making the football scholarship available and the student would benefit by being able to complete his degree.

He would have to apply and be given an academic scholarship for that to work and go up against all the other applicants. They quit they are still enrolled, but would just have to pay. Athletic scholarships are only good for a year so teams pull scholarships all the time. Why a ton of these players end up in the portal.

9 hours ago, david ficken said:

The women's volleyball regional games start later this morning with Gophers vs. Buckeyes at 11am ct on ESPN 2 followed by Marquette vs. Texas 30 minutes after the end of the 1st game. The regional final on Saturday at 6pm on ESPNU.  

#PointTexas Horns win and advance to the Elite 8! 3 sets to 1.

13 minutes ago, tejasrulz said:

Volleyball team wins 3-1 and will face #3 Ohio State who upset #2 Minnesota earlier today. If yall remember, it was the Gophers who eliminated Texas in Austin last year.

Oregon did upset Nebraska 3-2 and it was a great game to watch. Baylor loses to Louisville 3-0.

We lost to Nebraska last year 3-1 at the Greg