Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-recruiting)

Baron

3 minutes ago, Soldierhorn said:

I think 2 things: 

1. I think he was hurt more than what was advertised.

2. because he couldnt execute as well as he is accustomed physically he had to rely on his skill set (mind) more than usual and shows he needs a lot more development on his decision making.  Further, I think he has lost some confidence and that can be fixed.  

In addition Babers mentioned that his footwork isn’t good right now, something that Ewers admitted somewhere. So whatever injury he had caused him to over compensate or lose focus on fundamentals. He can get that back.

19 minutes ago, Captain Hookem said:

In addition Babers mentioned that his footwork isn’t good right now, something that Ewers admitted somewhere. So whatever injury he had caused him to over compensate or lose focus on fundamentals. He can get that back.

yes. he still has some bad habits and footwork is one of them. That's a sign of a QB that has become dependent on his dominant physical talent (arm) relative to his competition level

Another bad habit is he flips the ball to the seams the moment he gets it from the center. You dont need the seams to hand the ball off or throw a short pass. That's something that needs to be fixed in the off season.  Also, he was throwing unnecessarily into tight windows and double coverage before but was getting away with it because of his future NFL arm. It seems to me that his throws are floating more than before and he's not getting away with throwing in tight coverage as much now. 

because he use to get away with throwing in tight coverage, his main concern was anticipation of when to throw rather than check down (or #2 receiver). They (Ewers) has missed on a LOT of easier and more effective underneath routs trying to force it to Worthy.  Worthy needs to be the #2 option (used as a decoy) more than the #1.  Similar to basketball, if Worthy is being doubled, then SOMEONE is open or has a favorable matchup. 

I'm getting old and dont remember things as well but, I think it was Harsin that instituted the half field passing scheme in order to simplify the decision making for the young QBs. Essentially, it generally had a deep route (along the sideline most of the time) and an under route crossing into or along with the deep route and a short route for dump offs.  If the QB missed the target, the ball generally just floated out of bounds. If the deep receiver was covered, then the #2 was in the same line of sight so the QB doesnt have to find him. David Ash was very effective with this scheme and was ready to progress before he got hurt.  

I think simplification along this level is what Sark needs to do with Ewers at this point.

2 hours ago, zion3d said:

Not advocating him being fired at all.  Hell, he got Arch Manning so he is here for now.  I am saying that his tenure here is pretty much following the script for Sarkesians time as a head coach.  And saying that it takes time to build a program could be argued as being a straw man for those that want to make the fan base feel better about last year and the failures of this year all be it I think we have somewhat improved in a couple of areas.  I guess the thing that really bothers me the most is blowing all of the leads and losing games because of it.  If Sarkesian knew why it was happening he might be able to fix it.  The fact that it is still an issue means they really don’t know the why so they can’t get to the how to fix it.  

But the comparison isn't worth very much because all you're looking at is wins and losses, not what the conditions are, etc.

It's not a straw man at all. Each program is very distinct in what they have going for them or working against them.

I don't think we saw a problem exclusive to the 2nd half in the loss to TCU. The only TD we had was in the 2nd half. 

I refered to a article on IT.

It covers the Ewers to Worthy. Correct or not it mentions foot work and puts most of blame on deep ball failure on QB.

Also mention running game fails often(when needed) on failure of long ball. Postpattern most of all. 0 -8 and only post pattern completed wasby anoutyer QB vsW. Vig.

All in all its Sarks problem and he will fix it or join the last twocoaches.

The idea of firing a head coach after year 1 without some sort of cause such as fondling footballs too long or something, is idiotic and thank GOD we don't listen to shit like that.

You fire a coach after 1 year and you will have to go to the high school ranks or settle for shit leftovers to get your next coach.

If I were foolish enough to accept that job, I wouldn't bother moving or packing a bag. You may be gone after one season.

We have to be smarter than aggy and I'm not surprised to see an aggy present such nonsense on a Horns board. After all, they extended Jimbo for an incredible sum of money, guaranteed, and now they're stuck with him and can't fire him. The last place we should take hiring/firing advice from is aggy. And I think thats what at work here.

DKR was 6-4-1 his first year if my memory is correct

Design a scheme to fit players. Only High School coaches do that (smaller schools)coledge coaches have their schemesAnd usualy stick with them come hell or high water.

Dykes done a fair job of turning SMU around before TCU.

If Ewers was hurt more than ad vertized why did he play full game

If footwork is bad are his QB coach working full practice on fixing it?

Who is the real QB coach, Milweelisted but Sark is rated as the best.

I sure do nor know the answers can only specilate.

I was once at HS game when a freshman debued at QB. Threw a nice spiral and hit all his recievers. Wonderwhat happened to him.Probly became a announcer.

8 hours ago, 83Dee said:

I see a lot of sentiments like this… I simply disagree.   These stats don’t pass the eyeball test - that occurs when simply  watching the games.  There’s more here than a freshman learning curve, first road game jitters or some such thing.  This strikes me as something psychological.  Do y’all remember Steve Sax?  Or more recently Chuck Knoblauch…. These were two second basemen who all of the sudden couldn’t throw the ball from second base to first.  There was also a catcher who inexplicably all of the sudden couldn’t throw the ball back to the pitcher.  None of these were physical or fundamentals… they were psychological.  Quarterback is a position of fine motor skills, like baseball.  And if you look at Ewers vs BAMA and OU… compared with anything since…. This isn’t learning curve or youth related.   I’m afraid that any suggestion that we ought to expect this from a young QB… well, people are rationalizing or perhaps seeing / saying what they wish were true.

These psychological issues aren’t necessarily insurmountable.  But IMHO, running him out there repeatedly to humiliate himself is making the issue worse.  Sit Ewers, and give him an offseason to get right.

Then there’s the chance that I’m completely wrong here.  I’m open to that as well.  

Generational talents don't have stretches like Ewers has had, but then again there is always Garrett Gilbert to compare it to. About the psychological part of it, does anyone think that Ewers's ego might be a little too fragile to be pulled and Sark knows it or is Sark just being stubborn?

The psychological impasses that the players you referred to has a layman's term. When a golfer (Garcia?) couldn't tee off on the ball they called it the Yips, but that is a very rare occurrence in sports.

Personally, I would have pulled Ewers in the TCU game and sent a message. If that would have ruined his confidence then there is always Manning and Murphy next year.

12 hours ago, Eastexhorn said:

Good points but Sark will never sit Ewers IMO no matter what.

At some point do you worry your takes are not good ?Especially when your only getting one like. The one like that nobody on this board wants ? I feel like I win every time I have a legit post, many like it? That one member who you are aligning with laughs at it…. 

9 hours ago, zion3d said:

Not advocating him being fired at all.  Hell, he got Arch Manning so he is here for now.  I am saying that his tenure here is pretty much following the script for Sarkesians time as a head coach.  And saying that it takes time to build a program could be argued as being a straw man for those that want to make the fan base feel better about last year and the failures of this year all be it I think we have somewhat improved in a couple of areas.  I guess the thing that really bothers me the most is blowing all of the leads and losing games because of it.  If Sarkesian knew why it was happening he might be able to fix it.  The fact that it is still an issue means they really don’t know the why so they can’t get to the how to fix it.  

Noticing the one like you got as well….

9 hours ago, 82Horn said:

At some point do you worry your takes are not good ?Especially when your only getting one like. The one like that nobody on this board wants ? I feel like I win every time I have a legit post, many like it? That one member who you are aligning with laughs at it…. 

FYI I align with no one. Agree with many post and disagree with some.

My parents tought me to think for myself.

As for as number of likes I could care less, they nice. nice however

But I come here for recruiting and long horn sports news. The conversation is nice at times and not so nice at others.

Just be like a duck iet it roll off your back like water.

27 minutes ago, dssl said:

I guess one thread isn't enough for JD vs everyone else.

Sometimes his posts are good, but often he is just stirring the pot trying to create drama. Mostly I ignore it and was happy when it mostly moved to its own thread.

I'm still pushing for that thread to be renamed to the "Johnny Depp Talks to HImself Thread". And then if such a thing is possible, have the mods on here block everyone else from posting in it except for Johnny D. 

Very interesting thread on Orangebloods by the mod who does an analysis every week for how both the defense and offense played in the game. He's really pretty good at it, btw. 

Here's what he said concerning the TCU game.

He put 11 incomplete/dropped passes thrown by Ewers into 2 categories and showed the video replay for each. It very enlightening to say the least. 

There were 6 passes that he put in the category of Balls that absolutely SHOULD have been completed (these passes should never be dropped by college receivers at a place like Texas). 

He put the other 5 passes in the category of Balls that legitimately COULD have been completed (passes like this, while certainly not easy and oftentimes well-contested, are absolutely within the spectrum of "catchable" for Texas-level athletes playing receiving positions).

LIke I say, it was quite interesting.  

51 minutes ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Very interesting thread on Orangebloods by the mod who does an analysis every week for how both the defense and offense played in the game. He's really pretty good at it, btw. 

He put 11 incomplete/dropped passes thrown by Ewers into 2 categories and showed the video replay for each. It very enlightening to say the least. 

There were 6 passes that he put in the category of Balls that absolutely SHOULD have been completed (these passes should never be dropped by college receivers at a place like Texas). 

He put the other 5 passes in the category of Balls that legitimately COULD have been completed (passes like this, while certainly not easy and oftentimes well-contested, are absolutely within the spectrum of "catchable" for Texas-level athletes playing receiving positions).

LIke I say, it was quite interesting.  

Was this just for the TCU game?

4 hours ago, Eastexhorn said:

FYI I align with no one. Agree with many post and disagree with some.

Just be like a duck iet it roll off your back like water.

So you're aligned with Oregon?

Edited by General Hooker
Bolt text not visible.

1 hour ago, General Hooker said:

So you're aligned with Oregon?

Honest quetion or did you forget the smilie

My first memory of Oregon, and my first interset in Horns. Was spring of 42 or 41. When my uncle(from Austin) was talking about a bowl game where Texas eased by the Ducks. My father cared less about football.