Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-Recruiting)

Baron

14 minutes ago, longhorn_mig said:

I don't know if @TFloss32or anyone else already shared this here, so sorry if this is a repost.

Think that gives some good perspective, and remember, that was a team that went 7-6 in Sam's freshman year.

I think this is typical of freshman QBs. They are average at best. They get better with game experience. This is why I don't like starting freshman QBs. You never know what you will get. They aren't consistent enough to gage what they will do one game to the next.

Read some phony on twitter that supposedly “heard” Worthy hitting the portal for USC following the year…. Although it’s probably troll because he said he is “unhappy with QE” still makes ya wonder…. Worthy doesn’t seem “all In” when I watch on Saturday’s. Still doubtful but thoughts?

7 minutes ago, Utjb1 said:

This is why we should not have been so hard on Hudson Card 

We weren't. We had a bunch of people putting Card's name out there in a bad position. People just responded by speaking their minds. Thats what the board is for. I wish that had not happened though there was obviously no stopping them.

I don't understand why Card's name would even come up right now. He's done nothing. He's a non-factor in this problem. This is a Sark-Ewers thing.

When Card gets called upon to play, then he gets into the mix because at that time, he will bear some responsibility. Right now, he simply doesn't.

Just now, okiehorn said:

Read some phony on twitter that supposedly “heard” Worthy hitting the portal for USC following the year…. Although it’s probably troll because he said he is “unhappy with QE” still makes ya wonder…. Worthy doesn’t seem “all In” when I watch on Saturday’s. Still doubtful but thoughts?

If thats true, I won't be upset. What would we be losing? A WR who catches 35% of the passes thrown to him? And why would USC get worked up about that? He's quit on routes, dropped passes, am I missing something here?

3 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

If thats true, I won't be upset. What would we be losing? A WR who catches 35% of the passes thrown to him? And why would USC get worked up about that? He's quit on routes, dropped passes, am I missing something here?

I agree, just seemed like a good talking point. He did have a huge year last year but doesn’t seem to be the same player in 2022… at least my opinion. 

5 minutes ago, BruiseLee said:

Hudson Card isn't a freshman quarterback.  This is his second year in this system so naturally you'd think he'd be more comfortable and would be able to go through his progressions faster....

Yes, but he doesn't have the game time experience. That is what makes you better (faster). I think he has improved since last year but still needs seasoning as does Ewers.

And who will be the better qb next year and the year after? 
We were never going to win a natty this year. We will have a better record than last year and show improvement, but we are not championship material yet. 
Sark and CDC knew that. 
So, the question is, who gives us a better chance next year or year after to win a natty? 

Seems to me Sark thinks Ewers will. That’s why he is going thru the growing pains with him.

Remember when Mack pulled Vince Young and put Mock in and saved that game.  That helped Vince in the long term.  Sit him to settle him.  Not saying that it would go the same way.  Just saying sometimes you need a spark.  I am in the boat that ewers will be the better qb but a small and short change was needed in the game.

9 minutes ago, Sugabread said:

Remember when Mack pulled Vince Young and put Mock in and saved that game.  That helped Vince in the long term.  Sit him to settle him.  Not saying that it would go the same way.  Just saying sometimes you need a spark.  I am in the boat that ewers will be the better qb but a small and short change was needed in the game.

I obviously have no issue with that. It puzzled me this last game that Sark didn't make the move.

Remember when we jumped out to a big lead on OU and we got into Spencer Rattler's head early? Riley pulled him until the 2nd half. He ended up playing pretty well in that 2nd half.

Sometimes you just have to shake things up.

8 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

As of right now, he has more game time experience than Ewers.

Everyone progresses at a different rate. Sark thought Ewers was the better choice.

Ewers is having the type of year you would expect a freshman QB would have. I don't see a problem benching him if he does poorly and we aren't winning. 

I foresee the same problem when Manning takes over in a couple of years--inconsistency.

2 minutes ago, hookemhorb said:

Everyone progresses at a different rate. Sark thought Ewers was the better choice.

Ewers is having the type of year you would expect a freshman QB would have. I don't see a problem benching him if he does poorly and we aren't winning. 

I foresee the same problem when Manning takes over in a couple of years--inconsistency.

I'm hoping Manning gets to redshirt.

2 minutes ago, hookemhorb said:

Hopefully, Manning gets to redshirt and then really compete for the job as a RS Sophomore after being in the system a couple of years. 

9 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I'm hoping Manning gets to redshirt.

I'm sure he will redshirt his freshman year, but fully expect him to compete for the starting job his 2nd year. If he starts then, he will be inconsistent. It would be nice if he could sit another year and play sparingly his 2nd year as a backup. Ewers might be around for a while longer.

Can we all agree that pulling out some QB’s past stats because it’s close to where Ewers is has nothing to do with winning.  This is my problem with the Ewers struggles.  It’s understandable that he is a freshman and will have growing pains but the goal gentleman is to win games by whatever means necessary.  What is the harm in allowing Ewers to sit for a series or two and let Card play?  If Card is not better send Ewers back in, problem solved.  I could care less about the emotional impact on Ewers confidence.  If Sarkesian really believed that Ewers was the way to go I simple disagree.  We all have seen pro QB’s pulled in games and backups put in.  This is more Sark being bull headed imo because he made the choice that it would be Ewers no matter what, minus injury of course.  I think they owed it to the team and all of the fans to do their best to win those games by trying everything possible.  We will never know if sitting Ewers and putting in Card was the right call because he was never given the opportunity.  And let’s remember that Ewers did not win the QB competition battle by a mile, it was rather close. Maybe I am too simple minded.

Play Ewers now so he ill be better next year. Is that hat some are saying?

Sure hope not. Wins this year are just as important

Has Worthy regressed a lot from last year? I doubt every ones arling to down on him this year. What is thedifference last to this year.

I and others do not see him giving up on routes.

16 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

Play Ewers now so he ill be better next year. Is that hat some are saying?

Sure hope not. Wins this year are just as important

Has Worthy regressed a lot from last year? I doubt every ones arling to down on him this year. What is thedifference last to this year.

I and others do not see him giving up on routes.

I assure you, we don't make this stuff up. I commented in the game thread in real time when it happened. 

Worthy's stats aren't what they were last year. He certainly has more drops.

I like him. I hope he bounces back. But it is what it is.

2 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

Sark has plenty of Goodwill built up, and plenty of money. He has time to do it his way. Be patient, in 6-10 years you’ll see it pay off. Better right than rushed. 
 Just like Jimbo knows a 6 game 50 year record losing streak is temporary but necessary pain to get things going the right direction. 
 The people in charge didn’t get there by being stupid. The common man fails to grasp the master plan. 

6-10 is that a sentence that all the fans have to serve?  Lol. What about LSU or Tennessee it sure seems they got on the winning track after a year or two.

• TFloss32 changed the title to Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-Recruiting)