Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-recruiting)

Baron

19 hours ago, 82Horn said:

Texas should stick with Sark minimum of 5 years. Anything else would be foolishness. Lots of progress made so far.

agree. Some coaches just exude the "it" factor; Sark doesnt, IMO.  I get the impression Stark is still learning to be a well rounded head coach, which seems strange talking about a guy in his third P5 head coaching stint. Sark looks like an OC on the sidelines squatting with his head in the clipboard. I think he needs an OC to mentor and leave the in-game play calling & player rotation to the OC.  He needs to pay attention to the game - the whole game.  There is no way he can pick up on nuances that occur during a game being primarily focused on play calling such as if a defensive starter comes out, he could tell the OC to pick a play targeting the substitute player.  Other teams do this very effectively against Texas

I think Sark WILL evolve into a better, more complete, head coach but right now, I think he is still learning.  

Here's the offensive sequences of the 2nd half. When you look at it, Sark got into trouble each time when he tried to run against a stacked box, most notably on the third down and two.

1st Drive: 2 first downs, fumble

2nd Drive: 2 first downs, penalty killed momentum, punt

3rd Drive: behind the sticks due to penalty, questionable 3rd and 2 run into stacked box, 3 and out Punt

4th Drive: 4 first downs, FG

5th Drive: Tried to kill clock. 3 runs into stacked 10 man boxes

6th Drive: Kneel down

48 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Here's the offensive sequences of the 2nd half. When you look at it, Sark got into trouble each time when he tried to run against a stacked box, most notably on the third down and two.

3rd Drive: behind the sticks due to penalty, questionable 3rd and 2 run into stacked box, 3 and out Punt

Of all those, the play I had the most trouble was the last 3rd down run to the short side behind our right tackle. If I need 2 yards, I’m running behind Banks. He’s just a different dude who punishes people.

2 hours ago, Soldierhorn said:

I think Sark WILL evolve into a better, more complete, head coach but right now, I think he is still learning.  

I agree.  What I like about Sark over Herman is he doesn't let his ego get in the way.  I really believe if there is a better way to do something then he will explore it.  He went to LA to pick the brain of the Rams HC.  I'm sure he will learn and grow in all facets of the game.  We all know he is a good playcaller as an OC, but it's different when you're calling plays and trying to manage the game.  I'm sure he will learn and grow, just like his players.

11 minutes ago, NEOkHorn said:

Of all those, the play I had the most trouble was the last 3rd down run to the short side behind our right tackle. If I need 2 yards, I’m running behind Banks. He’s just a different dude who punishes people.

This is a really good point; however I remember them running that play a couple of times before that worked out well.  I'll give credit to the K State player on that one because he sold out and guessed right.  Would've been nice to run off tackle there and let Jones kick him up the field.

I certainly don't fault trying to run there.  Bijan is the one I would trust in that situation.  Next time though, run to Banks side.

1 hour ago, NEOkHorn said:

I vividly remember that play, the RT got beat so bad that Bijan was a cooked goose from the start, I kept thinking did the RT tip the play, it almost looked like he was pass blocking instead of run blocking and the DE just powered past the RT and blew up the play

40 minutes ago, Big Daddy Cane said:

1. Home team automatically gets 3 points from Vegas

2.  tcu has benefited from not playing against the starting qb for a full 4 quarters in a lot of their games.

3. tcu is not good enough to be undefeated without a bit of luck. They are due for an L

I’ll have what he’s having.  Hook ‘em!

5 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Along this line, here are the 1st down play calls by half.

First - 12 passes and 6 runs

Second - 2 passes and 10 runs

5 hours ago, Eastexhorn said:

We all know he is a first half good play caller.

And when Sark was at Alabama he was a first and second half good play caller. When he has time to plan the first half attack, he is great. But it makes me wonder if the head coaching demands take away from his second half play calling ability since he can't really devote his full attention to it. Maybe he needs someone in his ear calling second half plays or someone in his ear making second half head coach decisions. That's probably too much to ask.

1 hour ago, Coot said:

And when Sark was at Alabama he was a first and second half good play caller. When he has time to plan the first half attack, he is great. But it makes me wonder if the head coaching demands take away from his second half play calling ability since he can't really devote his full attention to it. Maybe he needs someone in his ear calling second half plays or someone in his ear making second half head coach decisions. That's probably too much to ask.

Or maybe he needs his players to stop getting foolish penalties and to protect the ball. Do that and the second half looks completely different.

Not sure I buy in about this part about our coach learning, along with our QB. That's not what we were sold.

This part I know for sure, any of us could figure out, 2 games in a row we have a 31 point 1st half, and a 3 point 2nd half. If the concept is to kill clock by running and hold onto the lead, why do we always snap the ball so quickly with 15+ seconds left on the clock, and run out of bounds? 

That last drive by KSU should have never happened if we manage the clock.