Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-recruiting)

Yes and I just saw clips of Oliver running around on the field before the game. I am not a coach but I think I would have a rule that if you are able to play and you choose to sit out so you won’t get hurt and mess up your draft status then you don’t need to be hanging around on the sidelines or with the team. I know there is a lot of money on the line to be drafted but, every coach preaches team and be one unit. Christian McCaffrey started this as best I can remember and I just don’t like players sitting out. Of course a lot of players doing it now. 

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So this post has nothing to do with any UT sports, this is just me being proud of my daughter. She just got accepted into UT pharmacy school. Sorry for going off topic, but I had to brag a little. Bac

Didn't know where to put this, but here ya go. Looks like Derrian Brown on the road to recovery and at the least he could have a normal life!   

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, TexCoyote said:

Yes and I just saw clips of Oliver running around on the field before the game. I am not a coach but I think I would have a rule that if you are able to play and you choose to sit out so you won’t get hurt and mess up your draft status then you don’t need to be hanging around on the sidelines or with the team. I know there is a lot of money on the line to be drafted but, every coach preaches team and be one unit. Christian McCaffrey started this as best I can remember and I just don’t like players sitting out. Of course a lot of players doing it now. 

These prima donnas are selfish quitters. They attained their lofty positions due in part with help from their team mates and now abandon them..

2 hours ago, dillohorn said:

These prima donnas are selfish quitters. They attained their lofty positions due in part with help from their team mates and now abandon them..

It would not surprise me if pro scouts see this as a red flag for holding out for more money when a player is not getting paid what he thinks he's worth, not his actual team value.

I agree, dillo, Leaving early for the draft is one thing.  Choosing to abandon your teammates for any game during your final year with them is another.

This wonderful college sport is becoming more professional all the time and I really hate to see that.

13 minutes ago, UTfish said:

It would not surprise me if pro scouts see this as a red flag for holding out for more money when a player is not getting paid what he thinks he's worth, not his actual team value.

I agree, dillo, Leaving early for the draft is one thing.  Choosing to abandon your teammates for any game during your final year with them is another.

This wonderful college sport is becoming more professional all the time and I really hate to see that.

Just think of how much better both college and pro sports would be if players couldn't be taken until college eligibility was over. The increase in quality would be enormous.

12 hours ago, texasdalton said:

I know we are fans of a university over any one player however I dont have a problem with Ed’s stance. He has conducted himself with integrity his entire time at UH. He is now in a position that will benefit him and his family’s future. 

If him having jacket on a cold night during a game he wishes to sit out is being a prima Donna then we might as well put every person in the stands in that category as well.

Major is a jackass trying to make an example of a player that has given more to that university than any other player.

any coach would turn their back on the contract and commitment that they have made to a university if it was for their benefit.

Whooaaa there Dalton my friend.

This is a regular season game, not a bowl game. I can understand sitting out a bowl game. But a regular season game is part of the job description. What if the rest of the team decided to "take a night off?" What world do we even live in now where thats okay?

If you conducted yourself with integrity for your short career at Houston, why stop before it's over? Did Usain Bolt stop 10 meters before the finish line during his last race?

I take my hat off to Major for doing what he did, even when its his best player. No one player is better than the team.

As it is, a very fine player made a complete ass of himself on national TV. Get mad about a jacket? If thats the worst thing that happened to you on ANY given day of your life, then you had a very good day. Geez.

2 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Whooaaa there Dalton my friend.

This is a regular season game, not a bowl game. I can understand sitting out a bowl game. But a regular season game is part of the job description. What if the rest of the team decided to "take a night off?" What world do we even live in now where thats okay?

If you conducted yourself with integrity for your short career at Houston, why stop before it's over? Did Usain Bolt stop 10 meters before the finish line during his last race?

I take my hat off to Major for doing what he did, even when its his best player. No one player is better than the team.

As it is, a very fine player made a complete ass of himself on national TV. Get mad about a jacket? If thats the worst thing that happened to you on ANY given day of your life, then you had a very good day. Geez.

Yea, really not understanding taking Oliver's side on this one. Pretty cut and dry if you ask me. 

@horninoregon .... but if I remember correctly it looked as if Herman checked out on UH during the regular season as he was getting paid $3mm. Jumbo checked on FSU during the regular season getting paid more than $5mm. I’m not an apologist for Oliver but he hasn’t been paid yet. An injury could cost him millions of dollars. I don’t have that much. I’d be more than tempted to make sure I got that money. Especially at a school that’s not going to win a national championship. 

Major is a millionaire. Oliver wants his millions. 

Here’s my point about Oliver. Let’s say I’m a CPA and it’s the middle of tax season and I’m working for $75k a year. Now I get an offer for $100k but I have to take it now.  I can’t wait until tax season is over.  Do I owe it to my current firm to finish tax season or do I owe it to my family to take the new job? 

What would you do?  Be honest.

For me, the deal with Oliver is about the lack of respect for someone in a position of authority. There are rules and, if he didn't follow the rules, then it's all on him as far as I'm concerned. Of course, I'm an old. 

And, I really don't see the connection with a coach leaving a school for another one. 

Okay.  Good points, Wayne, but I'm a med student at the top of my class with one year to go.  I get an agent who says he can get me a job with a pharmaceutical company starting at a million bucks/ year, but I must take the offer now.

However, if I finish med school and get my doctorate, I will have another year to increase my medical knowledge even more and could make ten million per, like doclonghorn.

The players are still learning as seniors and generally improving their value.  I believe I know what my family would want.:)

1 hour ago, Wayne said:

@horninoregon .... but if I remember correctly it looked as if Herman checked out on UH during the regular season as he was getting paid $3mm. Jumbo checked on FSU during the regular season getting paid more than $5mm. I’m not an apologist for Oliver but he hasn’t been paid yet. An injury could cost him millions of dollars. I don’t have that much. I’d be more than tempted to make sure I got that money. Especially at a school that’s not going to win a national championship. 

Major is a millionaire. Oliver wants his millions. 

Coaches are professionals and can be fired at any time as well while these college players are still considered amateur 

UTfish, 

good point.  But Oliver is a top 5 pick.  Say you have the opportunity to get that med job that pays 10 million this year and if you go 1 more year there’s a chance that somebody in school tackles you and you lose either the manual dexterity or mental acuity to be doctor and you are on disability for the rest of your life.

7 minutes ago, Wayne said:

UTfish, 

good point.  But Oliver is a top 5 pick.  Say you have the opportunity to get that med job that pays 10 million this year and if you go 1 more year there’s a chance that somebody in school tackles you and you lose either the manual dexterity or mental acuity to be doctor and you are on disability for the rest of your life.

So Oliver should tell his team mates....."F you. I got mine "?  

1 hour ago, Wayne said:

Here’s my point about Oliver. Let’s say I’m a CPA and it’s the middle of tax season and I’m working for $75k a year. Now I get an offer for $100k but I have to take it now.  I can’t wait until tax season is over.  Do I owe it to my current firm to finish tax season or do I owe it to my family to take the new job? 

What would you do?  Be honest.

Parable:....................Sarge.....I don't want to go on patrol today. I only have 16 days until I leave this war and go home. Get another platoon member to take my place....after all these other guys have not been over here very long.

I’m pretty pro player/athlete in these cases, but given the things I’ve gathered I’ll say this... I don’t blame Ed for trying to protect himself given the scare he had earlier in the season with his knee. But if he was going to hold out then he should probably go the Bosa route and just said he was going to focus on rehab and training. The running around pre-game catching passes when you aren’t playing isn’t a good look and no doubt rubbed people wrong. Major coming at him over a jacket seemed silly until you realize an assistant/manager asked him to take it off and he refused, which is when Major intervened. 

Maybe Major should have kept his hands to himself and not began peeling the jacket off of Oliver. Maybe Major could have waited until they went into the locker room and avoided any public confrontation. But if Ed was being defiant, as the HC you gotta put your foot down and that’s how it was handled and the rest is history. 

I’m sure Oliver will have to some questions to answer in the coming months about this, but at the end of day I don’t expect it to hurt his pockets. Just something to learn from going forward. 

I’m no millennial. I’m a 55 year old Marine Corps vet who served in DS/DT.  The players are amateurs because those are the NCAA rules not because they chose to not be paid.  Who has the most at risk in a football game player or coach?  Who is paid the most?  The only mass spectator sports in America or the world for that matter where the coach is paid more than the players are college sports. I think the entitlement might be on our side.  Sure I would want him to play.  But he’s risking something (see Junior Seay and the list goes on).  I’m risking stubbing my toe on the way to the fridge to get a cold one.  

I don’t agree with his behavior.  

5 hours ago, texasdalton said:

I guess that is a good point SHA, it is a regular season game.

well put.

i am just starting to have a hard time watching the lack of commitment from coaches however we hold the kids to a higher standard.

And you have a good point as well, Dalton. Coaches leave for better jobs, or simply don't follow through with what they promised a kid and his parents. Its an issue thats been around a while and needs a solution.