Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-Recruiting)

Baron

33 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

Johnny....I wasn'tcomplaining that we didnt score because of the off target pass.....I was merely pointing out that had the WR been able to catch the ball in stride it would have been a TD....right then with no risk.

Put it in crayon, he may understand you then

Anyone have the player snap counts from last week? I know I’ve seen it posted a few times before and would love to see it this week. 

Taafe got to play more than special teams and didn’t look terrible. Curious how much he played. Also pretty sure Sulser played a series or two. 

On 10/2/2022 at 9:19 AM, Johnny Depp said:

Well boys, in spite of everyone saying there is no QB controversy, there has been one all year and it's only going to get bigger now with Card on a roll and QE not 100% and a small sample size. 

Some saying Card has earned respect now must not have seen the 1 legged wonder against Bama?

Card has not been at his best playing on a bad ankle, especially the plant foot on deep throws limiting him. 

Quinn not being 100% means he may not have the arm angles that makes him special.

Luckily, there really is no wrong decision. The schedule ahead is brutal, and we have no margin for error. 

IMO it's Card's rock.

😉 🤔 I've been thinking the same thing. Cooper Rush has won every game he has started for the Cowboys. They need to bench Dak and make Cooper the starter. 🙄

There is a reason why Quinn is the starter and Card is the back up. Does that mean Card can't win games? No. Does that mean Card couldn't start on most teams? No. Is he the best QB on the roster? No. Could he become the best QB on the team? Anything is possible, but at this time, he has shortcomings that opposing teams are taking advantage.

21 minutes ago, hookemhorb said:

😉 🤔 I've been thinking the same thing. Cooper Rush has won every game he has started for the Cowboys. They need to bench Dak and make Cooper the starter. 🙄

There is a reason why Quinn is the starter and Card is the back up. Does that mean Card can't win games? No. Does that mean Card couldn't start on most teams? No. Is he the best QB on the roster? No. Could he become the best QB on the team? Anything is possible, but at this time, he has shortcomings that opposing teams are taking advantage.

Cool, another voice of reason. Maybe the board is returning to some sense of reasonable thought. Wouldn’t that be nice.😉

24 minutes ago, hookemhorb said:

Quinn was below average in game 1. Game 2 Sark's script had him looking good, although only accounting for 3 points, and failing to protect himself got hurt. He is a Freshman QB with virtually no experience or game reps who comes with a lot of hype, like most highly rated recruits. At this point he won't be 100%, and could easily risk further injury. Quinn's ability to avoid or survive pressure is questionable, especially with a suspect O-line. The sentiment is strong to see his potential upside deliver results, while there is still uncertainty of those results having never taken a snap in the Big 12, and only a few against a P5 team. Quinn is still a project and experiment, far from a proven player like Dak. Ohio State isn't missing him, and in QB prospect shootouts he had accuracy issues, and threw lots of int's. in the open practice. His style of quick release is a bit of a hope and a prayer hoping the offense is successful in pulling down passes when not open, far from the ball control style we are seeing now. A week ago I would reluctantly agree to put him in and see what happens, while keeping him on a short turnover leash. Anyone stating as fact that QE is the superior QB at this point in his career is merely opinion, there is no "book" on him. 

To continue the false premise of teams loading up the box and stopping Card after putting up 28 points in barely a quarter is ignoring the truth where there is a book on him. With no run support, Sark and Card carved up WV masterfully, just like the week before, and the week before etc. The team is behind Card and the O has been putting up plenty of points to win. Trying to fix what isn't broke, with an unknown quantity when every game counts is a risky move. If Card wasn't keeping Quinn honest as a clear cut winner in the QB1 competition, why did it take so long?

5 minutes ago, texbound said:

Did I just go back in time 22 years?  I'm on the Chris Simms train here.  Simms is a NFL QB that can make every throw in the book and opens up the playbook.  Applewhite is gritty and plays his heart out but has limitations.

You are going to make that argument? You sure?

Applewhite led Texas to two Big 12 Championship games, to victory in 2 Bowl games, and set 48 school records along the way.

1 hour ago, Johnny Depp said:

Quinn was below average in game 1. Game 2 Sark's script had him looking good, although only accounting for 3 points, and failing to protect himself got hurt. He is a Freshman QB with virtually no experience or game reps who comes with a lot of hype, like most highly rated recruits. At this point he won't be 100%, and could easily risk further injury. Quinn's ability to avoid or survive pressure is questionable, especially with a suspect O-line. The sentiment is strong to see his potential upside deliver results, while there is still uncertainty of those results having never taken a snap in the Big 12, and only a few against a P5 team. Quinn is still a project and experiment, far from a proven player like Dak. Ohio State isn't missing him, and in QB prospect shootouts he had accuracy issues, and threw lots of int's. in the open practice. His style of quick release is a bit of a hope and a prayer hoping the offense is successful in pulling down passes when not open, far from the ball control style we are seeing now. A week ago I would reluctantly agree to put him in and see what happens, while keeping him on a short turnover leash. Anyone stating as fact that QE is the superior QB at this point in his career is merely opinion, there is no "book" on him. 

To continue the false premise of teams loading up the box and stopping Card after putting up 28 points in barely a quarter is ignoring the truth where there is a book on him. With no run support, Sark and Card carved up WV masterfully, just like the week before, and the week before etc. The team is behind Card and the O has been putting up plenty of points to win. Trying to fix what isn't broke, with an unknown quantity when every game counts is a risky move. If Card wasn't keeping Quinn honest as a clear cut winner in the QB1 competition, why did it take so long?

Johnny Depp being Johnny Depp once again 😉

16 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

Just IMO on QB's.

1 Card is a better QB than a lot give him credit for

2 Ewers is not the QB that some give him credit for. Will be but one quarter of experence does not make a Great QB. Time does that.

I would say thats a pretty good and fair assessment.....what I dont get from others that think the QE is just going to step on the field after being out 3.5 games and light the place up is myopic, even #12 who wears a Green Bay uniform doest do that

36 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

Just IMO on QB's.

2 Ewers is not the QB that some give him credit for. Will be but one quarter of experence does not make a Great QB. Time does that.

Until you have 100 attempts it's hard for a QBR to show a real snapshot.

I'm getting this Rattler/Williams feeling this weekend.

1 hour ago, Eastexhorn said:

Just IMO on QB's.

1)  I give credit to Card for being good, not great.

2) Disagree.  It was 5 quarters before he got hurt and except for the 1st drive of the first game QE was better than good.  Time isn't needed to develop a great college QB.  My examples:  CJ Stroud, Bryce Young, Trevor Lawrence.  Those guys were all great from game 1.  There are other examples.  One I just can't mention.  But the game has changed a lot.   

• TFloss32 changed the title to Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-Recruiting)