Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-Recruiting)

Baron

Well boys, in spite of everyone saying there is no QB controversy, there has been one all year and it's only going to get bigger now with Card on a roll and QE not 100% and a small sample size. 

Some saying Card has earned respect now must not have seen the 1 legged wonder against Bama?

Card has not been at his best playing on a bad ankle, especially the plant foot on deep throws limiting him. 

Quinn not being 100% means he may not have the arm angles that makes him special.

Luckily, there really is no wrong decision. The schedule ahead is brutal, and we have no margin for error. 

IMO it's Card's rock.

1 hour ago, Johnny Depp said:

Well boys, in spite of everyone saying there is no QB controversy, there has been one all year and it's only going to get bigger now with Card on a roll and QE not 100% and a small sample size. 

Some saying Card has earned respect now must not have seen the 1 legged wonder against Bama?

Card has not been at his best playing on a bad ankle, especially the plant foot on deep throws limiting him. 

Quinn not being 100% means he may not have the arm angles that makes him special.

Luckily, there really is no wrong decision. The schedule ahead is brutal, and we have no margin for error. 

IMO it's Card's rock.

Oh boy you’re jumping right in it there JD. As a huge Card fan, I’ve seen him play since he was 14 yrs old and think he’s been treated terrible by the UT fan base. Gone are the days when young QB’s are allowed to improve and develop but I digress…Ewers talent is unmistakable. 

The problem for the fickle UT fans is, they’ve built Ewers up to be something he may not be, with a very small sample size of scripted plays which we all know Sark excels at and frankly so has Card.

So what does Sark do? It pains me to say this but, if Ewers is healthy he starts. The difference may be, if he struggles from time to time we could see Card come in like a relief pitcher to change the flow. My guess is almost everyone on this site likely agrees with this but let’s see if anyone doesn’t.

9 minutes ago, HornsUpAllDay said:

Oh boy you’re jumping right in it there JD. As a huge Card fan, I’ve seen him play since he was 14 yrs old and think he’s been treated terrible by the UT fan base. Gone are the days when young QB’s are allowed to improve and develop but I digress…Ewers talent is unmistakable. 

The problem for the fickle UT fans is, they’ve built Ewers up to be something he may not be, with a very small sample size of scripted plays which we all know Sark excels at and frankly so has Card.

So what does Sark do? It pains me to say this but, if Ewers is healthy he starts. The difference may be, if he struggles from time to time we could see Card come in like a relief pitcher to change the flow. My guess is almost everyone on this site likely agrees with this but let’s see if anyone doesn’t.

Watching Youtube's there is a strong argument for Card as QB1, many picking him to start at OU even if it's just to give QE more time to heal. The tide has definitely turned on this subject with Card's (unexpected by most) performance threatening the "status quo".

19 minutes ago, TFloss32 said:

The alternative is forcing the run and neutering the offense like Sark did in Lubbock.

I’ve blocked depp but still see him when other people comment. His ignorance knows few bounds. Running the ball to get first downs and run out the clock is not garbage time. WV had their first team in the game trying to stop him. 

9 minutes ago, Wayne said:

I’ve blocked depp but still see him when other people comment. His ignorance knows few bounds. Running the ball to get first downs and run out the clock is not garbage time. WV had their first team in the game trying to stop him. 

Hudson has carried this team for 4 games as the team leader with a mostly terrible running game. 

I don't disagree about running the clock, but it hadn't worked all night. We took our foot off the gas. We need to consistently put up 50, we'll be in some shootouts soon enough. Recruiting isn't excited by scoring in the 30's.

48 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

Hudson has carried this team for 4 games as the team leader with a mostly terrible running game. 

I don't disagree about running the clock, but it hadn't worked all night. We took our foot off the gas. We need to consistently put up 50, we'll be in some shootouts soon enough. Recruiting isn't excited by scoring in the 30's.

You've never asked the question, "Why were opposing defenses stacking the line to stop the run?" The answer is because we had young QBs, and Card had yet to prove he could beat anyone with his arm.  Opposing defenses best chance were to force him to make mistakes and throw picks. You aren't old enough to remember, but we've seen this many times breaking in new QBs. 

So yes we're a pass first team right now because that's what defenses are giving. Our run blocking isn't good enough yet to force situations where the box is stacked. Up and until the point defenses worry more about getting beat deep than forcing 3 and outs or getting picks, that's what we'll see every week.

Card had a great day yesterday and deserves all the credit. He's shown improvement every week. Yesterday he was making decisions faster and taking yards when available. He was able to scramble and make plays happen. 

However it's hard to have an honest conversation about where he's at if you keep blaming everyone else in areas where he needs to improve. He needs more touch on his deep balls. Young QBs have a tendency to throw fast balls everywhere because they don't want to leave a ball hanging (yes, we've seen that before as well). However on deep throws this reduces the amount of time a WR can adjust and results in missed opportunities. This is true for some shorter throws as well, such as the missed connection with Roschon. A little more touch on that ball and Roschon doesn't slip try to stretch out and make the catch. 

I can guarantee you that if Card starts putting deep balls in stride with Worthy, opposing defenses will pull guys out of the box which will open up the running game. Yesterday's win was a good sign the team is headed in the right direction. Everyone has something to work on. 

Card has done well as a backup QB. No disputing that. However, to say he would start over a healthy Quinn is rediculous beyond belief. Card did well against WV....but he missed on more than several deep passes that would have put the game out of reach early. Not only did he miss some wide open recievers, but on 3 deep balls that were completed, the WR had to stop or come back to the ball. That is the difference between a nice completion and a TD.

https://www.si.com/college/texas/football/texas-longhorns-qb-hudson-card-career-night-quinn-ewers-west-virginia-mountaineers

backup quarterback Hudson Card has made his case as more than just a 'break glass in case of emergency' option, and has now emerged as arguably the best No. 2 quarterback in the country. 

In fact, it feels as though Texas is playing with a bonafide veteran starter at the position and one that can win them big games. 

And Longhorns coach Steve Sarkisian agrees. 

“To me and our team, it doesn’t feel like we’re playing with a backup,” Sarkisian said.

1 hour ago, oldhorn2 said:

Card has done well as a backup QB. No disputing that. However, to say he would start over a healthy Quinn is rediculous beyond belief. Card did well against WV....but he missed on more than several deep passes that would have put the game out of reach early. Not only did he miss some wide open recievers, but on 3 deep balls that were completed, the WR had to stop or come back to the ball. That is the difference between a nice completion and a TD.

IIRC we scored on all 3 of those drives, nice spin on history though. Card started the game 9-11.

2 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

IIRC we scored on all 3 of those drives, nice spin on history though. Card started the game 9-11.

Johnny....I wasn'tcomplaining that we didnt score because of the off target pass.....I was merely pointing out that had the WR been able to catch the ball in stride it would have been a TD....right then with no risk.

• TFloss32 changed the title to Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-Recruiting)