Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-Recruiting)

Baron

Sark is setting himself up by not closing out games.  He's 7-9 and to reiterate...  His teams held a lead in 5 of those 9 losses at half time, 5 of those 9 losses in the 4th quarter, and had a double digit lead in 4 of the 9.

Forget irrational fans and their opinions,  the facts are...he's not getting it done.  Let's see how they respond!

Let me say one final thing about this TT game and I will be done.  Texas is more talented than TT across the board, but the previous 2 trips to TT would've been losses if not for Sam.  He pretty much single- handedly brought them back from  defeat in Lubbock on both occasions.  Problem with this game, we didn't have a Sam at QB to will the team to victory.  Don't tell me TT doesn't circle this game every year above all others. 

18 minutes ago, TexExSpur said:

Sark is setting himself up by not closing out games.  He's 7-9 and to reiterate...  His teams held a lead in 5 of those 9 losses at half time, 5 of those 9 losses in the 4th quarter, and had a double digit lead in 4 of the 9.

Forget irrational fans and their opinions,  the facts are...he's not getting it done.  Let's see how they respond!

Absolutely, but how much of that can be attributed to Texas not having the depth and experience up front to close out those games? Sustain drives and suck the life out of the opponent.  Getting a lead is great, but you need the horses up front to take a game over and secure the victory.  Texas simply did not have the OL last year to do that.  To me, it's as simple as that.  Sure, his play calling and design could be better, but the game is always won up front.  Hat on hat, man on man up front.  Win your battle and the game is easier.  The OL is simply not getting it done on a consistent basis. The defense was bad last year, but the offense played their part in not keeping them off the field and putting them in bad positions.

I really believe they have the OL they need to do that now, they just need time to get there.  It is absolutely on the coaches and Sark should take all the blame right now.   

Being a coach for years I believe in the statement, coaches take all the blame for losses and players get all the credit for wins.

2 minutes ago, texbound said:

Absolutely, but how much of that can be attributed to Texas not having the depth and experience up front to close out those games? Sustain drives and suck the life out of the opponent.  Getting a lead is great, but you need the horses up front to take a game over and secure the victory.  Texas simply did not have the OL last year to do that.  To me, it's as simple as that.  Sure, his play calling and design could be better, but the game is always won up front.  The defense was bad last year, but the offense played their part in not keeping them off the field and putting them in bad positions.

I really believe they have the OL they need to do that now, they just need time to get there.  It is absolutely on the coaches and Sark should take all the blame right now. 

sadly we do not have the DL we need. Maybe we need to up the NIL money for DL to 100,000. I am sick to death of not being able to stop anybody!

1 minute ago, texbound said:

Absolutely, but how much of that can be attributed to Texas not having the depth and experience up front to close out those games? Sustain drives and suck the life out of the opponent.  Getting a lead is great, but you need the horses up front to take a game over and secure the victory.  Texas simply did not have the OL last year to do that.  To me, it's as simple as that.  Sure, his play calling and design could be better, but the game is always won up front.  The defense was bad last year, but the offense played their part in not keeping them off the field and putting them in bad positions.

I completely agree. We don't have the DL or OL to beat people. We have talent but it's too young, not experienced. Playing freshman OL means we suck. They can't compete with 22 or 23 year olds. Ain't gonna happen.

The D lost that game. You can't let a team continually run 15+ plays a drive every time they have the ball. Put 10 on the line and let them beat you if they can. At least the D won't be out there 100 plays.

We may be 8-5 or 7-6 at the end of the year but I do see some improvement, or at least moreso that in previous years. Get great DL and OL and we will start winning even if we have 3 star running backs. When we start creating holes all of us can run/walk through, then we'll be back. Until then....we suck until we don't. At least we're getting good at that. 🙄

33 minutes ago, texbound said:

I don't get this fan base sometimes.  Does it suck to lose to Tech?  Absolutely.  Why can't we stay patient and let something build?  Did Mack Brown lose to Tech in year 2 of his tenure?  yes he did.  Did Mack go 9-5 in year 2?  yes he did.  I don't know about you guys, but I'm kind of glad we didn't knee jerk fire him after 2 years.

Losses like this happen. Shit, Texas beat OU under Strong and that Texas team sucked bad.  OU still went 11-2 that year.  Texas played above their heads in that game because it was OU.  I can tell you without a doubt TT looks at Texas the same way Texas does OU.  problem is, Texas doesn't look at TT the same way.  It's been 13 years since Texas was relevant, but their still a "signature" win for these other programs like TT.  How sad is that?  This Texas team needs to  learn they're every ones Superbowl and need to play at least a B+ game.

It's true, we suck until we don't.  however, let the suck have time to be washed away.

This team is being built the right way, from the inside out.  Herman tried to build with skill players and left the inside cupboard bare. 

Yeah Sarks 13-27 overall road record, 1-5 road record at Texas, and history of giving up double digit leads all confirm he’s not a bad coach! Oh don’t forget to add the 0-23 record when behind at the half!

People are being tough on him for no reason!

33 minutes ago, texbound said:

Absolutely, but how much of that can be attributed to Texas not having the depth and experience up front to close out those games? Sustain drives and suck the life out of the opponent.  Getting a lead is great, but you need the horses up front to take a game over and secure the victory.  Texas simply did not have the OL last year to do that.  To me, it's as simple as that.  Sure, his play calling and design could be better, but the game is always won up front.  Hat on hat, man on man up front.  Win your battle and the game is easier.  The OL is simply not getting it done on a consistent basis. The defense was bad last year, but the offense played their part in not keeping them off the field and putting them in bad positions.

Being a coach for years I believe in the statement, coaches take all the blame for losses and players get all the credit for wins.

I thought it became a bit silly on offense from the third quarter on.  Texas Defense had 44 pressures on the QB and were on the field for 100 plays.  Sark calls the offense.  It's his pill to swallow.

Tech only had 12 pressures on our QB and 1 sack in 60 plays.  The "Young" OL is holding up.

23 minutes ago, TexExSpur said:

I thought it became a bit silly on offense from the third quarter on.  Texas Defense had 44 pressures on the QB and were on the field for 100 plays.  Sark calls the offense.  It's his pill to swallow.

Agree with you.  It's much easier for me to sit back behind a screen and analyze after the fact.  It is on Sark, but I just can't imagine where he felt confident calling a play on offense.  Maybe more runs to the outside and counters would've worked or a TE screen or two to Sanders.  Texas had a hobbled 2nd string QB, an OL that seemed to be blocking air and no deep threat to soften up the defense.  Even if he did have a deep threat, it's 50/50 if the QB could get it to him and if he would catch it.  Hudson played his heart out, but there were a lot of plays left out on the field by him.  I saw the TE open a couple of times and he was late on a couple of throws, especially the 3 and 3 to JWhitt.

TT sat back in a single high S look the entire 2nd half and stacked the box with 8.  Outside of the one Bijan run, the run blocking wasn't there.  Shit I saw one play where Cole Hutson tried to block his man with his chest and never got his hands up.  His man went right around him.  I saw too many run plays where 3 white jerseys were on the ground 2-3 yards ahead of where the tackle was taking place for TT. 

Maybe I am a Texas sunshine pumper, but I think this will start working.  Saturday will be a telling day.

36 minutes ago, texbound said:

Agree with you.  It's much easier for me to sit back behind a screen and analyze after the fact.  It is on Sark, but I just can't imagine where he felt confident calling a play on offense.  Maybe more runs to the outside and counters would've worked or a TE screen or two to Sanders.  Texas had a hobbled 2nd string QB, an OL that seemed to be blocking air and no deep threat to soften up the defense.  Even if he did have a deep threat, it's 50/50 if the QB could get it to him and if he would catch it.  Hudson played his heart out, but there were a lot of plays left out on the field by him.  I saw the TE open a couple of times and he was late on a couple of throws, especially the 3 and 3 to JWhitt.

TT sat back in a single high S look the entire 2nd half and stacked the box with 8.  Outside of the one Bijan run, the run blocking wasn't there.  Shit I saw one play where Cole Hutson tried to block his man with his chest and never got his hands up.  His man went right around him.  I saw too many run plays where 3 white jerseys were on the ground 2-3 yards ahead of where the tackle was taking place for TT. 

Maybe I am a Texas sunshine pumper, but I think this will start working.  Saturday will be a telling day.

I have not abandoned the Sark express.  I still like where this team is headed.  Just frustrated. 

First of all I have no bias whatsoever against any of the Texas coaches.  It just defies logic that we did not learn from the mistakes of last year.  Our adjustments in game and after halftime seems to be an exercise in futility.  We shut everything down and play very vanilla.  Why???

I am not a coach or teacher of the game of football but I also can see with my own eyes when decisions are being made that make no sense.  This is happening on offense and defense.  

We had to have played off shear emotion and adrenaline against Bama. But can you show that when you are on the road in front of 60,000 and not 105,000 in your own stadium?

What troubles me more is that neither Sark or PK seem to acknowledge that this is a play calling and strategy issue.  They always say we did not play well.  When is a reporter going to confront Sark on why he folds his tent up on O and D after getting a lead.  Why are they content to coast?

It’s frustrating to hear the outside noise saying that we will fold and we can’t

finish because they are right.  Same old Texas Longhorns.

• TFloss32 changed the title to Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-Recruiting)