Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-Recruiting)

Baron

44 minutes ago, zion3d said:

Your optimizism is duly noted.  However, we have had all of these same discussions for the past 12 or so years and the end result for all of those years has been the same, a mediocre at best, team and record. 

The only way I will change my mind about where this is all going will be if the Longhorns win the Big 12 this year.  Anything less and I will not be convinced that we have the right head coach or that we are heading in the right direction as a program.  I alluded to Sarkesians record as a head coach many times to the aggravation of other fans but it is a large sample of what he has been able to do as a head coach.  .452 overall  Stats do not lie.  Now, is it possible that he could change that, sure.  But there are possibilites and probabilites.  I don't think its probable that he can be anything other than what his record as a head coach says he is.  

As far as just handling the OC duties he is a 10. This is what he did at BAMA.  But having to be the head coach and manage the game on top of everyhting else IMO is something that he is not capable of doing.  You can see the poor adjustments, game management, and how it affects the play calling.  

I am not advocating for him to be fired but either the administration or Sarkesian have to acknowledge that he cannot do both.  As far as firing goes, PK would be the first.  It will not happen until the year ends and we are 100th in total team defense again.  

might be a lotta truth to what you speak of...For example Mack was a great CEO type because he didnt have to call plays and he had some great DC.....Sark so far has shown he is a great play caller but his DC has not covered his backside , and maybe Sark isn't capable of wearing both the OC and CEO hats simultaneously....not sure what the solution is but this is not a TEAM quite yet

3 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

What game did you watch? 

To my point Mr Depp.  Yesterday was a debacle.  Other games which would be most from last year he wasn’t much better.  

Something is going wrong in the second half when we have a lead.  The defense folds and the offensive play calling is not coherent.  I just think he is overwhelmed and cannot make the right decisions regarding adjustments, play calling, and game management when he has to the the head coach whereas him being just an OC like at Bama he was quite good with the play calling.  Of course having that kind of talent doesn’t hurt.

8 minutes ago, zion3d said:

Of course having that kind of talent doesn’t hurt.

Having the Greatest College Coach of All Time at Bama didn't hurt Sark's OC success. 

If Sark is overwhelmed we hired the wrong guy. If everyone from announcers to fans can see what play is coming, we hired the wrong guy. 

7 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

Having the Greatest College Coach of All Time at Bama didn't hurt Sark's OC success. 

If Sark is overwhelmed we hired the wrong guy. If everyone from announcers to fans can see what play is coming, we hired the wrong guy. 

Yep, and even Saban while he is involved to a small degree with the defense he mainly operates as a head coach.  Lincoln Riley is one of the few coaches that can seem to handle both duties.  

And yes you are right but the administration wanted Sark as OC and HC.  No way to change that now.  So if he is failing as OC because of HC duties we will be looking for another coach in the near future.  I will say that getting manning bought him some time.  I just don’t think Sark would hire an OC so he could concentrate on HC duties.

1 hour ago, zion3d said:

Your optimizism is duly noted.  However, we have had all of these same discussions for the past 12 or so years and the end result for all of those years has been the same, a mediocre at best, team and record. 

The only way I will change my mind about where this is all going will be if the Longhorns win the Big 12 this year.  Anything less and I will not be convinced that we have the right head coach or that we are heading in the right direction as a program.  I alluded to Sarkesians record as a head coach many times to the aggravation of other fans but it is a large sample of what he has been able to do as a head coach.  .452 overall  Stats do not lie.  Now, is it possible that he could change that, sure.  But there are possibilites and probabilites.  I don't think its probable that he can be anything other than what his record as a head coach says he is.  

As far as just handling the OC duties he is a 10. This is what he did at BAMA.  But having to be the head coach and manage the game on top of everyhting else IMO is something that he is not capable of doing.  You can see the poor adjustments, game management, and how it affects the play calling.  

I am not advocating for him to be fired but either the administration or Sarkesian have to acknowledge that he cannot do both.  As far as firing goes, PK would be the first.  It will not happen until the year ends and we are 100th in total team defense again.  

I'm not trying to change your mind. Thats up to you. I just wanted to give a different perspective.

I think you made a good point about Sark's limited experience at HC. Like players, coaches learn from their mistakes. At least the good ones do. We'll see which one Sark ends up being.

I'd like to see PK let go and move Patterson in his place. But then again, Patterson had a lot to do with the game plan we just witnessed. He didn't take a week off.

Tech logged 100 offensive plays. Part of that was because our defense allowed them to, and part of that is because our offense wasn't consuming much clock.

Tomorrow has promise. If it didn't, there'd be no point in getting up in the mornings.

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I'm not trying to change your mind. Thats up to you. I just wanted to give a different perspective.

I think you made a good point about Sark's limited experience at HC. Like players, coaches learn from their mistakes. At least the good ones do. We'll see which one Sark ends up being.

I'd like to see PK let go and move Patterson in his place. But then again, Patterson had a lot to do with the game plan we just witnessed. He didn't take a week off.

Tech logged 100 offensive plays. Part of that was because our defense allowed them to, and part of that is because our offense wasn't consuming much clock.

Tomorrow has promise. If it didn't, there'd be no point in getting up in the mornings.

We keep having these discussions because up to now no one has been able to solve the riddle that is Longhorn football since Mac Brown in 2005.  If we were winning year in and year out the topics and discussions would be much different.  There would be no need for you to talk me off of the ledge. 

Boiling it all down all of us fans, coaches, and players want to win.  The problem is how and who can get us there.  We are 0-2 at bat and are swinging at the 3rd pitch as I speak.  Time will tell if we strike out or not.  I think we all can agree that at minimum we need to win 7-8 games this year to hold the recruting class together and even at that we still might lose a few.  That is why yesterdays loss was so difficult.  It's not just the now but the future that this loss affects. 

8 minutes ago, Captain Hookem said:

How does this affect the future? Are we losing Arch because we lost to Tech?

We win this week and most of the tech game is forgotten. Until we take another loss and people think the world is ending again.

I said this before the season and I will say it again, we (at least I did) expected this team to drop 2 games on the road that everyone expected them to win.  I just did.  Young players will do that.  Young, inexperience OL; young and inexperienced QB. 

Say all you want about this being year 13 of this, but it still is only year 2 for this staff and year 1 or 2 for a lot of these players.  Sure they dropped a lot of close games last year and this feels the same, but I hope they can string a couple of wins together in a row and show growth from last year.  Long way to go.  Go 3-1 in the next 4 and 3-1 in the 4 after that and this team is still moving upwards. Just my thoughts, but then again I'm an optimist.

It's always frustrating to suffer a loss when you are expecting a win. The natural tendency is to think the sky is falling. 

The thing people need to remember is we are generally not nearly as bad as people think after a  bad loss, or as good as people think after a good win.

Hopefully the team will learn from this game and it will just be a painful blip in the season. 

1 hour ago, Captain Hookem said:

How does this affect the future? Are we losing Arch because we lost to Tech?

We win this week and most of the tech game is forgotten. Until we take another loss and people think the world is ending again.

I think he's referring to the conclusion of Texas being back. The Bama game showed that. The Tech game didn't.

What is probably more accurate is that it might affect the immediate future. Like you said, start winning and that goes away as a fluke loss.

39 minutes ago, dssl said:

It's always frustrating to suffer a loss when you are expecting a win. The natural tendency is to think the sky is falling. 

The thing people need to remember is we are generally not nearly as bad as people think after a  bad loss, or as good as people think after a good win.

Hopefully the team will learn from this game and it will just be a painful blip in the season. 

17 years and we have no reason to over react to such a terrible loss?  No, its not life ending or in the big scheme of things not really important.  This is a passion for a game and a team named the Texas Longhorns.  Just keeping it within that thought process I for one will never be satisfied to be mediocre.  So that being said, "Hell yes", after seeing the same movie for 17 years in a row, to me the sky is falling.  I am weary of hearing we are changing the culture, having to rebuild a team, or getting our guys in the program.  Take a look at USC with Riley at the helm, who by the way has only been there a few months.  4-0 we are 2-2 in Sarkesians second year.  I do not understand why it is so wrong to say there is something wrong with the Longhorn program and we have to find a Lincoln Riley or someone with those kind of proven chops to fix this program.  If Sarkesians coaching record was as good as Riley's I would think he could be that guy, but .452 winning percentage is just below average.  That will not cut it.  I'm not calling for anyone to be fired other than PK.  Sarkesian however has to take resposibility for that crap show that we saw in Lubbock. I saw no anger no self-deprication from him.  No emotion at all other than he looked tired from being in the hot sun.  That kind of thing worries and makes me wonder if he truly has what it takes to be a head coach.  Maybe an OC but not a head coach and OC.   

1 hour ago, Captain Hookem said:

hould make all of us just a buHow does this affect the future? Are we losing Arch because we lost to Tech?

Arch Manning is not the whole show.  He is a big part of it but there are a lot of other recruits that will bail if they think we are not moving forward as a program.  With the transfer portal and being that none of these recruit have actual signed their LOI's should make all of us just a wee bit nervous.  If we tank again this year no one in the right mind would expect us to be able to hold on to these recruits.  

2 hours ago, zion3d said:

Arch Manning is not the whole show.  He is a big part of it but there are a lot of other recruits that will bail if they think we are not moving forward as a program.  With the transfer portal and being that none of these recruit have actual signed their LOI's should make all of us just a wee bit nervous.  If we tank again this year no one in the right mind would expect us to be able to hold on to these recruits.  

Wronk post tomanswer but you have said noyhing wrong. The football program needs questioned.

Too bad it is not by some one who counts. Big cigar

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ci8b9KdtUfq/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY%3D&fbclid=IwAR3C_yjw17qGyWoJMAN5xoAbZmUCKXpV5il3q0VMEPx5HotH7qgFAr_IRHU

Coach Joey is usually a class act but this fell quite short. If it didn't mean anything to Tech to beat Texas, why do they rush the field every single time it happens?

He needs to learn more about the school that employs him.

56 minutes ago, TFloss32 said:

So weird.

The consensus on the board was 9 wins would be a somewhat successful season. Long way to go yet but judging by our play so far and the way some of these teams are playing, anyone see 7 wins here?

19 hours ago, Dillohorn1 said:

Firing Sark now would be plain stupid.

I don't get this fan base sometimes.  Does it suck to lose to Tech?  Absolutely.  Why can't we stay patient and let something build?  Did Mack Brown lose to Tech in year 2 of his tenure?  yes he did.  Did Mack go 9-5 in year 2?  yes he did.  I don't know about you guys, but I'm kind of glad we didn't knee jerk fire him after 2 years.

Losses like this happen. Shit, Texas beat OU under Strong and that Texas team sucked bad.  OU still went 11-2 that year.  Texas played above their heads in that game because it was OU.  I can tell you without a doubt TT looks at Texas the same way Texas does OU.  problem is, Texas doesn't look at TT the same way.  It's been 13 years since Texas was relevant, but their still a "signature" win for these other programs like TT.  How sad is that?  This Texas team needs to  learn they're every ones Superbowl and need to play at least a B+ game.

It's true, we suck until we don't.  however, let the suck have time to be washed away.

This team is being built the right way, from the inside out.  Herman tried to build with skill players and left the inside cupboard bare. 

• TFloss32 changed the title to Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-Recruiting)