Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-Recruiting)

Baron

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Hey, it may be true and it may not be. But I don't think I'll post these things anymore at my own expense. We'll all know in due time. Thats why we have the internet, so we can get information faster so we can dismiss it faster.

Was just razzing you Sir. I hope your friend is correct and always appreciate your info.

7 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Lots of folks are calling for PK's firing right now.

I don’t know if he needs to be fired or not. I said it last night because I was highly pissed off. Either way they need to figure out the defense and like soon. 
I’d like to see more of those young guys rotating on the DL. The guys are trying but they get gassed. Patterson needs to interject with the DBs. This letting them catch it and then hopefully making the tackle we’ve seen over the years for too long. Every pass needs to be contested and if we get a couple of PIs so be it. Remember how his DBs did at TCU? They were all over you. I don’t care what it takes but find a way to get some hits on the QB. Bring however many you need to get hits on the QB. Yesterday their QB was uncomfortable when they were getting back there and it didn’t continue to happen. I guess they gassed. They got 100 plays because we couldn’t get them off the field. It’s going to be interesting to see see what/if anything changes. 

2 minutes ago, NEOkHorn said:

While I understand the frustration , I’m a little confused how Patterson received all the praise for the Bama game and none of the blame for Tech. Plenty of stinkage all the way around for that debacle.

Exactly. We all need to back off the ledge. The season will have its ebbs and flows. Can't get too high or low with any one game.

The team has to play better and Sark needs to take a long deep look in the mirror.

Elasped time?  1 year

Results?  Same

Issues?  Same

Fan Reaction? Same

So what has truly changed?  Nothing

It seems we are all doomed to continue this cycle year after year. We will hear the same under and over reactions from the fanbase and the coaches.  

Hell, I probably should not even post this but rather repost something I said from the previous years boards because it has all been said before.  The Strong, Herman, and now Sark eras have been nothing more that a ride on the merry-go-round.  This message board too.  

I find myself asking why I do this. Allowing myself to believe that this football team will once again soar to the heights of 2005.  Maybe thats on me or on the coaches that beilieve their own coach speak. Hell, maybe its both.  Yet here I sit a fan in search of a team that has long since seen its better days.  Maybe its time to find another hobby. 

For those that would look on the bright side I would say how has that worked out for us over the past 15 years?  Once we move to the SEC it only gets worse. 

I do not know what or if there is an answer for this.  That is what we pay the coaches to figure out.  I do know when I see a pattern.  Maybe the schemes, training, calls, and players are different but the results are not.   

Insert mental note:  Quit believing that anything will change until you get to the end of the season and see the Texas Longhorns actually playing for a conference title.  When it comes to the Longhorns the end of hope is the beginning of seeing things as they truly are and the orange koolaid will no longer have a hold over you.  

2 hours ago, zion3d said:

Elasped time?  1 year

Results?  Same

Issues?  Same

Fan Reaction? Same

So what has truly changed?  Nothing

It seems we are all doomed to continue this cycle year after year. We will hear the same under and over reactions from the fanbase and the coaches.  

Hell, I probably should not even post this but rather repost something I said from the previous years boards because it has all been said before.  The Strong, Herman, and now Sark eras have been nothing more that a ride on the merry-go-round.  This message board too.  

I find myself asking why I do this. Allowing myself to believe that this football team will once again soar to the heights of 2005.  Maybe thats on me or on the coaches that beilieve their own coach speak. Hell, maybe its both.  Yet here I sit a fan in search of a team that has long since seen its better days.  Maybe its time to find another hobby. 

For those that would look on the bright side I would say how has that worked out for us over the past 15 years?  Once we move to the SEC it only gets worse. 

I do not know what or if there is an answer for this.  That is what we pay the coaches to figure out.  I do know when I see a pattern.  Maybe the schemes, training, calls, and players are different but the results are not.   

Insert mental note:  Quit believing that anything will change until you get to the end of the season and see the Texas Longhorns actually playing for a conference title.  When it comes to the Longhorns the end of hope is the beginning of seeing things as they truly are and the orange koolaid will no longer have a hold over you.  

Part of the problem is that we think we know what's going on, we think we know where this is going. We've been trained, like seals, to be this way simply because of the experience of the past 15 years.

The thing I know to be certain and is not speculation is that change happens whether we like it or not. Change is one of life's few certainties.

I look around and I already see change. What would have Tom Herman's team have done against Bama? What would Charlie's team have done? None of their rosters looked like the one I see today.

Across the board we're building a better team. It is not a finished product. Anyone who has ever built anything in their lives knows there are hiccups along the way.

We lost to Tech, in Lubbock, by two points in OT. Thats not exactly losing to KU from last year. Tech is a very good football team. If they play OU like they played us, they'll beat them too. But this was a hiccup.

We're only four games in. This path can lead to anywhere. Things may very well look similar now, but it doesn't mean it will stay that way. We've got some brilliant minds, great teachers on staff. 

We don't know what this team will achieve or not achieve this year. Not yet.

15 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Part of the problem is that we think we know what's going on, we think we know where this is going. We've been trained, like seals, to be this way simply because of the experience of the past 15 years.

The thing I know to be certain and is not speculation is that change happens whether we like it or not. Change is one of life's few certainties.

I look around and I already see change. What would have Tom Herman's team have done against Bama? What would Charlie's team have done? None of their rosters looked like the one I see today.

Across the board we're building a better team. It is not a finished product. Anyone who has ever built anything in their lives knows there are hiccups along the way.

We lost to Tech, in Lubbock, by two points in OT. Thats not exactly losing to KU from last year. Tech is a very good football team. If they play OU like they played us, they'll beat them too. But this was a hiccup.

We're only four games in. This path can lead to anywhere. Things may very well look similar now, but it doesn't mean it will stay that way. We've got some brilliant minds, great teachers on staff. 

We don't know what this team will achieve or not achieve this year. Not yet.

Your optimizism is duly noted.  However, we have had all of these same discussions for the past 12 or so years and the end result for all of those years has been the same, a mediocre at best, team and record. 

The only way I will change my mind about where this is all going will be if the Longhorns win the Big 12 this year.  Anything less and I will not be convinced that we have the right head coach or that we are heading in the right direction as a program.  I alluded to Sarkesians record as a head coach many times to the aggravation of other fans but it is a large sample of what he has been able to do as a head coach.  .452 overall  Stats do not lie.  Now, is it possible that he could change that, sure.  But there are possibilites and probabilites.  I don't think its probable that he can be anything other than what his record as a head coach says he is.  

As far as just handling the OC duties he is a 10. This is what he did at BAMA.  But having to be the head coach and manage the game on top of everyhting else IMO is something that he is not capable of doing.  You can see the poor adjustments, game management, and how it affects the play calling.  

I am not advocating for him to be fired but either the administration or Sarkesian have to acknowledge that he cannot do both.  As far as firing goes, PK would be the first.  It will not happen until the year ends and we are 100th in total team defense again.  

• TFloss32 changed the title to Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-Recruiting)