Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-Recruiting)

Baron

26 minutes ago, Sugabread said:

They need to take out the suspended for next half.

^^^THIS^^^ I don't understand why it just isn't a personal foul and 15 yard penalty. Hell, I don't think the player should even be disqualified unless he's a multiple offender. No way should being suspended for a half even be part of this...ESPECIALLY on a call as subjective as targeting...

1 minute ago, DBut82 said:

^^^THIS^^^ I don't understand why it just isn't a personal foul and 15 yard penalty. Hell, I don't think the player should even be disqualified unless he's a multiple offender. No way should being suspended for a half even be part of this...ESPECIALLY on a call as subjective as targeting...

The reason is they want a more severe penalty to protect the "defenseless" player.  Without the ejection teams wouldn't take the issue as seriously. 

1 hour ago, dssl said:

The rules have changed. Teams need to adjust to the new rules, or this will happen allot.

It's easy to attack the ruling, but to do so ignores the new rule and the new reality.

I have no idea what a defender can do in these situations. I guess this will make coaches blitz less, and probably also change the game in ways that are impossible to predict.

Then qbs should not be able to run if the defender can't tackle them.  He was not defenseless.  I guess college should go to 2 hand touch football.

7 minutes ago, Sugabread said:

Then qbs should not be able to run if the defender can't tackle them.  He was not defenseless.  I guess college should go to 2 hand touch football.

I agree that if they feel the QB is "defenseless",  then the defender should be able to end the play by some kind of minimal contact. Unfortunately that isn't part of the current rules, so the defender can't do much. The current set of rules will dramatically change the game.

2 hours ago, dssl said:

The rules have changed. Teams need to adjust to the new rules, or this will happen allot.

It's easy to attack the ruling, but to do so ignores the new rule and the new reality.

I have no idea what a defender can do in these situations. I guess this will make coaches blitz less, and probably also change the game in ways that are impossible to predict.

Bunch of knee injuries for QBs. 

3 hours ago, dssl said:

Would have liked to see more clarification on what Overshown could have/ should have done differently.  

I guess the bottom line is a blitzing linebacker is very limited in how he can tackle a QB who is looking to pass. I have no idea exactly how this will change the game , but likely it changes it allot.

It seems to me that it's good that they want to protect the players, but if the defender can't tackle the QB looking to pass then the QB should be ruled down after any contact. In this case instead of tackling Harris,Overshown could have reached out and created some much less forceful contact.

I guess they need to put flags on the QB and defenders go after the flags...

IMHO the reason we are having so many issues with targeting is that proper blocking and tackling fundamentals are no longer being taught to kids from Pop Warner to high school, all these kids emulate the Deion Sanders school of tackling, they go for the strip or they chip guys with their shoulder and many kids are told to stick their helmet in his chest which leads to spearing...If you have ever seen the OLD video clip of DKR showing how they taught guys to hit people with their shoulder and then wrap them up with their arms, How many times do we get to see a clean open field tackle. Lots of cheap shot gang tacklers that somehow made it to Canton and the HOF..watch how rugby players and Aussie rules football players tackle, those fundamentals are not even taught in our schools anymore

8 hours ago, Hiwood said:

IMHO the reason we are having so many issues with targeting is that proper blocking and tackling fundamentals are no longer being taught to kids from Pop Warner to high school, all these kids emulate the Deion Sanders school of tackling, they go for the strip or they chip guys with their shoulder and many kids are told to stick their helmet in his chest which leads to spearing...If you have ever seen the OLD video clip of DKR showing how they taught guys to hit people with their shoulder and then wrap them up with their arms, How many times do we get to see a clean open field tackle. Lots of cheap shot gang tacklers that somehow made it to Canton and the HOF..watch how rugby players and Aussie rules football players tackle, those fundamentals are not even taught in our schools anymore

Agreed but part of that is that practice time and especially practice time in pads has been drastically reduced. Over the past 10 years, spring ball has been limited to no consecutive padded practice days and in season padded practices are greatly reduced. Makes it difficult to have enough time to properly teach technique. At least in Oklahoma.

15 hours ago, TFloss32 said:

I stated on Sunday they wouldn't overturn this (fox watching the chikens). Bad call, bad rule, call it whatever, it was just bad. In the replay you can see the QB pull the ball down. Throughout the game he did that just before he eluded the pass rush to scramble for yards. Maybe Jack Lambert was correct, QBs need to wear dresses.

So many acting like this was a bad or missed ruling on the O'Show. 

It was intentional, just like the previous one. HE IS BEING TARGETED by the Big 12. The booth is doing it. They are corrupt. If we win the Big 12 Championship, it will be beating all the teams AND THE REFS. Get used to it. 

The fact that teams have no recourse is ridiculous with the amount of money involved Texas should sue the refs personally. It's ruining the sport, gambling and faith in institutions to do the right thing.

13 hours ago, UTfish said:

How can a rule be implemented when there are so many different opinions as to what the rule is? Let's see if all the refs call it the same way every time. 

Another NCAA brain fart.

To most fans it seems arbitrary.  It seems like they should work harder to clear up the rule.

My understanding is if the tackler contacts helmet to helmet the "defenseless " QB then they will call targeting, even if it's a perfect form tackle like we saw on Saturday.

I don't like the rule , but don't think it's subject to opinion. 

• TFloss32 changed the title to Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-Recruiting)