Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-recruiting)

Baron

59 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

Because we haven't had nearly enough discussion on this topic, i figured I would weigh in on it.

I'm not a Ewers or Card guy either, I'm 100% whoever will run the offense the way Sark wants and needs it to be ran and can win games.

I saw some really good things from Card towards the end of last year, but I do believe he is somewhat limited.  I don't think he goes through his progressions quickly and gets happy feet too fast (coachable).  He is really good at 1, 2 go.  I also don't think, which has been discussed ad nauseum, he can take the top off the defense with downfield throws on a consistent basis. This will limit the playbook and allow a defense to play closer to the LOS.  One major plus is I think he is crafty and agile which might come in very handy with a young OL.

Ewers is a gunslinger and can make every throw in the book.  Having him back there completely opens up the playbook and could make things easier for Bijan.  Not 100% sure about his mobility, but I don't believe he is as mobile as Card, but I also don't think he is a statue.  The big negative on him (and it's a huge one) is that he is a gunslinger and will turn the ball over.  Those turnovers will cost the Longhorns valuable possessions and could cost them games. Big risk, big reward type of QB.

So, I have no idea what Sark is going to do.  Playing Card is going with the somewhat safer pick and will put the offense on Bijan's back (as well as the opposing defense).  Going with Ewers makes things wide open for the offense, but is a HUGE gamble that could completely backfire.

If it was me, 20 years ago I would go with the safer pick and go with Card.  Today, now that I'm older I'm much more the gambler type and would say F it, lets role.  Thank god I'm not the head coach and have to make that choice.  I have the luxury of sitting here giving my opinion behind a keyboard with no consequences.

7 minutes ago, texbound said:

Because we haven't had nearly enough discussion on this topic, i figured I would weight in on it.

I'm not a Ewers or Card guy either, I'm 100% whoever will run the offense the way Sark wants and needs it to be ran and can win games.

I saw some really good things from Card towards the end of last year, but I do believe he is somewhat limited.  I don't think he goes through his progressions quickly and gets happy feet too fast (coachable).  He is really good at 1, 2 go.  I also don't think, which has been discussed ad nauseum, he can take the top off the defense with downfield throws on a consistent basis. This will limit the playbook and allow a defense to play closer to the LOS.  One major plus is I think he is crafty and agile which might come in very handy with a young OL.

Ewers is a gunslinger and can make every throw in the book.  Having him back there completely opens up the playbook and could make things easier for Bijan.  Not 100% sure about his mobility, but I don't believe he is as mobile as Card, but I also don't think he is a statue.  The big negative on him (and it's a huge one) is that he is a gunslinger and will turn the ball over.  Those turnovers will cost the Longhorns valuable possessions and could cost them games. Big risk, big reward type of QB.

So, I have no idea what Sark is going to do.  Playing Card is going with the somewhat safer pick and will put the offense on Bijan's back (as well as the opposing defense).  Going with Ewers makes things wide open for the offense, but is a HUGE gamble that could completely backfire.

If it was me, 20 years ago I would go with the safer pick and go with Card.  Today, now that I'm older I'm much more the gambler type and would say F it, lets role.  Thank god I'm not the head coach and have to make that choice.  I have the luxury of sitting here giving my opinion behind a keyboard with no consequences.

Well said. This is one of the lead stories in College Football right now, and a decision is coming soon. 

IMO it's tough for The Mighty Quinn since it's a new offense for him. Whoever starts has a HUGE problem with Bama, and we saw who got blamed last year. I can feel the boo birds warming up already.

I'm really liking listening to Locked on Longhorns.

27 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

He says; “by all accounts, Card has been the better and more comfortable qb in fall camp”, then says; “reports are the qb battle is too close to call”. I’m a little confused as this seems a direct contradiction. If Card has been clearly better by “all” accounts then the qb battle should not be too close to call.  Then again, I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed. Maybe one of you gurus could help a brother out with an interpretation.

4 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

Well said. This is one of the lead stories in College Football right now, and a decision is coming soon. 

IMO it's tough for The Mighty Quinn since it's a new offense for him. Whoever starts has a HUGE problem with Bama, and we saw who got blamed last year. I can feel the boo birds warming up already.

I'm really liking listening to Locked on Longhorns.

No matter who wins the job, the other guy will always be more popular with the fans.  The backup QB is always the fan favorite.

This really is a damned if you do and damned if you don't for Sark.

1 minute ago, NEOkHorn said:

He says; “by all accounts, Card has been the better and more comfortable qb in fall camp”, then says; “reports are the qb battle is too close to call”. I’m a little confused as this seems a direct contradiction. Then again, I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed. Maybe one of you gurus could help a brother out with an interpretation.

Accounts mean eyewitnesses. Reports means press/press conferences. That's my guess.

I know what I saw.

1 minute ago, texbound said:

No matter who wins the job, the other guy will always be more popular with the fans.  The backup QB is always the fan favorite.

I'd guess if Card gets the start, the fans will be brutal. It won't be popular. I'd say if Ewers gets the start, he'll have full fan support. At practice, the difference was noticeable, and that was just a few thousand. 

Whoever is 1 or 2, we saw last year that injuries change things quickly. 

6 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

Accounts mean eyewitnesses. Reports means press/press conferences. That's my guess.

I know what I saw.

I don’t have the privilege of seeing live practices so I guess I’m stuck with the press reports perpetuating the lies of the HC press conferences about a close qb battle that doesn’t exist. That and the Card family members on this board.😉

Just win baby is all that really matters.

29 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

I'd guess if Card gets the start, the fans will be brutal. It won't be popular. I'd say if Ewers gets the start, he'll have full fan support. At practice, the difference was noticeable, and that was just a few thousand. 

Whoever is 1 or 2, we saw last year that injuries change things quickly. 

If that's true, its wrong. Just wrong. Whoever Sark puts out there should get our full support.

7 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

7 hours ago, TFloss32 said:

Never heard of this guy.

7 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

I thought he is good, seen him a few times now. You?

7 hours ago, TFloss32 said:

Honestly hadn't seen him or the podcast name until now.

Than I gotta assume you don't watch much UT/CFB-related content on YouTube. Because if you did, videos from that "Locked on Longhorns Podcast" channel (& other UT/CFB-related channels) would constantly be recommended to you.

5 hours ago, texbound said:

Bijan knows how to work the NIL angle.  He might be the only one in the NCAA doing NIL right.  Shows the intelligence on him and how properly educated he is on this subject.  He might take a paycut going Pro.  He better stick around for his Sr year here.  Kudos to him and kudos to Texas for doing this right.

Think I would have called it Bijan Dijan.

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

If that's true, its wrong. Just wrong. Whoever Sark puts out there should get our full support.

But this is TEXAS, dont you know the fan base always knows better than the HC. If I guess correctly it really won't matter who is at QB, because I think we are going to see an offense that hasn't ever been seen in these parts, I think we are going to feed #5 the rock, and when defenses load the box receivers are going to get single coverage and get the ball in space, and 10 yd slants are going to be taken to the house....OK I will take off the burnt orange glasses for now

1 hour ago, Johnny Depp said:

I echo TatumTx above, but I didn't know it until i watched that video...i guess I was secretly pulling for Ewers.  Like I said, i always stated whichever one wins the job is one Sark trusts and I'm good with that.  However, I have to admit that I was a tad disappointed when the video said sources were naming Card the starter. 

I guess I got caught up in the hype and was tired of mediocre QB play over the last decade or so.  Sam was good, but he wasn't spectacular.  He was tough and had a will to win. This situation is taking me way back to the Simms/Applewhite saga. 

I'm not a fan of Ketch or Anwar, but they said something that really resonated with me about VY and Colt not really having the light come on until year 3 of the program.  I know Colt had a really good 1st year, but he really struggled in year 2.  Wasn't until his 3rd year when you saw a huge difference and the game really slowed down for him.  Maybe that's what is happening with Card. I will rally behind either QB and hope for huge year.

As always Hook'em and lets turn CFB upside down this year.