Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-recruiting)

Baron

7 minutes ago, Wayne said:

One of our problems could be is that all the guys on the lines that we want to recruit want to play in the SEC or Ohio State or Clemson. There is really no great line in the Big 12. 

In general this may be true but it's an odd statement considering we signed the number 1 Oline class, and a highly rated Dline class.

There are definitely players that want to play in the SEC and once TX and 0U join that phenomena is likely to increase substantially. 

6 minutes ago, dssl said:

In general this may be true but it's an odd statement considering we signed the number 1 Oline class, and a highly rated Dline class.

There are definitely players that want to play in the SEC and once TX and 0U join that phenomena is likely to increase substantially. 

Give the coaches credit for playing the long game, but a lot had to fall in place in order for us to land that OL class. The coaching carousel helped a ton, but dont expect it to happen every year. Kids want to play in the sec. The earlier the better, IMHO.

2 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

When Alabama comescalling we will see how ready we are.

We may not be ready in 2022, but joining the SEC in 2023 should help our recruiting. Hopefully we will continue on an upward trajectory to the top.

5 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

OL Isaiah Hookfin being put on medical scholarship per Anwar Richardson on OB. 

Huh? Someone thought I was  on some edge when I said  we were 1 for 9 unless you want to claim Jones as a player which gets us to 2 for 9 with 1 GT in Braun. Are we considering Braun and Jones as more than warm bodies? 

Way to go Herman and Hand.

9 hours ago, dssl said:

It’s also funny that we didn’t sign that OL class until after we announced our move to the SEC.

1 hour ago, Wayne said:

It’s also funny that we didn’t sign that OL class until after we announced our move to the SEC.

The SEC announcement certainly didn't hurt, although the SEC announcement only guaranteed them to play in the SEC in there fourth year.

If you look at a school like Clemson you can see that a school with a top notch coaching staff can succeed in recruiting and on the field in a conference that isn't the SEC, or the B1G.

All this being said my hope and expectations is that this will be our last season in the BIG12.  I totally agree that SEC membership will help us on the recruiting trail. I also believe that after the SEC expansion the SEC schools will enjoy an even greater advantage. 

1 hour ago, TFloss32 said:

Schools like Texas have a huge advantage in the new world of NIL and the transfer portal, but I am surprised CDC would say it out loud. 

31 minutes ago, dssl said:

Schools like Texas have a huge advantage in the new world of NIL and the transfer portal, but I am surprised CDC would say it out loud. 

I'm more surprised that we haven't tapped into our resources in a bigger way. Addison's decision will tell a lot.

7 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

#4 of the 2019 class to medically retire. add in 16 transfers from that class and Liebrock who is essentially medically retired, that class took a beating with only saving grace being Rojo

It's sad when you look at both the `18 & `19 classes which should be the srs. and jrs. the last couple of years. 

Just look at the incompetence at both the OL and LBs in these classes. 

In `19 the LBs class of 5 with 1 medical retiree, 3 transfers, and Gbenda still here. To go along with the `18 LB class of 2 transfers. Luckily, I guess, Overshown moved from safety to LB.

The OL class from both classes is 2 for 8 freshmen, 2 GTs, and 1 medical retiree, and 5 transfers. 

Yet both classes were #3 ranked classes. 

That's  Herman, Hand, and Orlando for anyone wanting to defend them.