Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-Recruiting)

Baron

9 hours ago, david ficken said:

Two take aways from this.

1. Great to see Cain not only adjust in mid air to make a 1 handed catch. 

2. Ewers almost over threw a 6'4" guy that made a great adjust to lauch himself and make a 1 handed catch or a defender.

1. Great to see Cain do anything.

2. That was the only way that pass could be thrown without it being an INT.

Just a couple of notes from TFB's practice report, with info coming from a coach who was at practice.

1. Kitan Crawford is going to be a star at safety. He is standing out in a big way. 

2. Cook is playing well as Crawford's partner.

3. Bijan is looking better than the last time you saw Bijan. Apparently, this is possible.

4. Said Card looked better Saturday, but Ewers had some nice long passes. OL is a problem, so far. This has not helped the QBs.

15 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Just a couple of notes from TFB's practice report, with info coming from a coach who was at practice.

1. Kitan Crawford is going to be a star at safety. He is standing out in a big way. 

2. Cook is playing well as Crawford's partner.

3. Bijan is looking better than the last time you saw Bijan. Apparently, this is possible.

4. Said Card looked better Saturday, but Ewers had some nice long passes. OL is a problem, so far. This has not helped the QBs.

Can't go far without an OL.

54 minutes ago, dssl said:

Also hopefully some of the stud OL guys joining the team this summer will be able to contribute early,  if not immediately. 

I was thinking a similar thing, are 2 transfer OL better than two incoming 5 star freshmen? Transfer guys may have more early success but the freshmen may be better by the end of the season. Playing the freshmen is also a likely better long term play opposed to 2 one year rentals in transfers.

I'm sure the staff would gladly take two stud transfers but I am not sure there are any our there right now. If no studs, may be better to take some early lumps with freshmen. 

9 hours ago, texbound said:

Not good.  Was really hoping that they could find a good, solid 6 or 7 guys and allow the freshman to develop a year.  Starting to get concerned.

Part of the issue is numbers. The room is 6 people short, so they have to carefully manage the reps to avoid overworking the guys. Definitely not an ideal situation, but hopefully coach Flood will be able to work some magic over the summer with his full roster. 

10 minutes ago, dssl said:

Part of the issue is numbers. The room is 6 people short, so they have to carefully manage the reps to avoid overworking the guys. Definitely not an ideal situation, but hopefully coach Flood will be able to work some magic over the summer with his full roster. 

I'm really hoping your assessment is right.  This team (offense) is not going far without a solid OL.  It doesnt have to be great or dominating at this point, but just solid.

1 hour ago, Ntx dog said:

Really amazed that no OL was secured from the portal.

Who was in the portal?  I didn't see many O lineman.  Once spring training is done and kids see where they stand a new crop may arise but they will be guys who aren't starting for one reason or another on different team.    

9 hours ago, TFloss32 said:

IT saying LB Jaden Hullaby was working with the RBs today.

He was originally signed as an H-back before moving to LB.

This is an interesting move, IMO.

We need depth at LB, but they remove him from that room and put him in a room where we already have plenty of depth. IMO, I don't see him ever taking a snap at RB outside of practice. 

So there's more here than meets the eye. We're not in a position to give up LB depth. Yet, this happens.

8 hours ago, Wayne said:

Who was in the portal?  I didn't see many O lineman.  Once spring training is done and kids see where they stand a new crop may arise but they will be guys who aren't starting for one reason or another on different team.    

This is a good point. On the norm, these aren't players who will help you much – unless, they come from Bama or Ohio State or someone else who recruits as well. At least you know you're getting some type of quality.

3 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

This is an interesting move, IMO.

We need depth at LB, but they remove him from that room and put him in a room where we already have plenty of depth. IMO, I don't see him ever taking a snap at RB outside of practice. 

So there's more here than meets the eye. We're not in a position to give up LB depth. Yet, this happens.

I could see him in some type of Fullback/H-Back role where that personnel has a certain number of plays they use in short yardage. Don't have that type of player on the roster. All the Tight Ends are more Y-TEs by nature.

I assume he was running 3rd team at LB?

13 minutes ago, TB14 said:

I could see him in some type of Fullback/H-Back role where that personnel has a certain number of plays they use in short yardage. Don't have that type of player on the roster. All the Tight Ends are more Y-TEs by nature.

I assume he was running 3rd team at LB?

I think he used to be a TE.

• TFloss32 changed the title to Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-Recruiting)