Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-recruiting)

Baron

4 hours ago, DMAC said:

Strong lost to Kansas in Lawrence 21-24 in 2016. 

Herman barely beat KU at DKR 50-48 in 2019

Sark obviously lost 56-57

This is much more than coaches.  This is a trend for many years spanning different coaching regimes.

Winning is hard.lol

Seriously though, I'm not sure Sark can turn it around or who actually could. I am convinced however, that he has a better chance of doing so than any of the 3 that preceded him. I'm also convinced that this crap show is several years in the making and the work of more than the current regime. As you so eloquently pointed out.

113 points lit up on that scoreboar!. The cannon blasting all night. Fabulous weather and a totally entertaining college game. I woke up in my Texas t-shirt and still bleed orange. I don't hate this team, but they will get some well deserved tough love from me. What a great sport.

1 hour ago, Austin Horn said:

How about Woman’s basketball. That’s what happens when you hire somebody that is great not someone that you think can be great. 

Football a putrid game. Mens basketball , putrid game. Volleyball wipes the floor with oklahoma. Women's basketball upsets 3rd ranked Stanford. Guess we know who had the balls to carry the longhorn torch this weekend.

Utterly amazing that we have gotten worse each week since the second half against Oklahoma.  Oh what could have been.  Lets be clear, this is Sarks team whether its his recruits or not.  When you sign that multi-million dollar contract you accept what is with the football program.  The question is, if we took Urban Meyer or Nick Saban and gave them the same team and let them coach at Texas would we be 4-6 with the wheels falling off of the bus?  IMO, no.  In a previous post the most concerning thing is that Sarks resume as a HC does not support those that think he is the right man for the job. IMO Saban and Meyer have the ability to bend the wills of people to think, react, and work their way. I don't know if Sark has that ability. We will give it 3 years and if he stays true to his record we will then move on to the next guy. 

When was the last time that we all said we were beaten by a team that has not won a road game in the Big12 since 2008?  Enough said...

Tired of hearing the argument of coaching vs players vs talent.  IMO a football team is a reflection of the men that are leading and teaching them, the coaches.  Texas has talent, not Bama talent, but not Kansas talent.  Talent alone does not win games as we have just seen.  Coaching is the difference.  Why do you think Bama has been elite for so long.  That's right Nick Saban's coaching.  Everything you see from Alabama is what Saban has instituted.  You could say the same of Urban Meyer minus his dubious ethics.  So IMO it is coaching because it is their responsibility for the scheme, development, depth chart, discipline, culture, etc...  As the head goes so goes the entire body.  

1 hour ago, zion3d said:

Utterly amazing that we have gotten worse each week since the second half against Oklahoma.  Oh what could have been.  Lets be clear, this is Sarks team whether its his recruits or not.  When you sign that multi-million dollar contract you accept what is with the football program.  The question is, if we took Urban Meyer or Nick Saban and gave them the same team and let them coach at Texas would we be 4-6 with the wheels falling off of the bus?  IMO, no.  In a previous post the most concerning thing is that Sarks resume as a HC does not support those that think he is the right man for the job. IMO Saban and Meyer have the ability to bend the wills of people to think, react, and work their way. I don't know if Sark has that ability. We will give it 3 years and if he stays true to his record we will then move on to the next guy. 

When was the last time that we all said we were beaten by a team that has not won a road game in the Big12 since 2008?  Enough said...

You may be correct about Saban and Meyer but please correct me if I'm wrong but I do not remember either of them actually being interested in taking the job. In fact, names like Peterson, Fickell, and even Fleck weren't interested. Given that, who do you suggest as a better alternative? There is NO question that Sark has a lot to learn but I do not see the next Saban or Meyer walking through the door anytime soon so what are the alternatives at this point. Not trying to be argumentative bc I'm frustrated as well. Just asking some open ended questions and seeking some kind of answers like a lot of folks.

7 minutes ago, zion3d said:

Tired of hearing the argument of coaching vs players vs talent.  IMO a football team is a reflection of the men that are leading and teaching them, the coaches.  Texas has talent, not Bama talent, but not Kansas talent.  Talent alone does not win games as we have just seen.  Coaching is the difference.  Why do you think Bama has been elite for so long.  That's right Nick Saban's coaching.  Everything you see from Alabama is what Saban has instituted.  You could say the same of Urban Meyer minus his dubious ethics.  So IMO it is coaching because it is their responsibility for the scheme, development, depth chart, discipline, culture, etc...  As the head goes so goes the entire body.  

Well said again. Pretty sure that Bama had talent when Saban took over as well. Maybe not Bama talent of today but still pretty good talent. It wasn't until Saban remade the culture at Bama that they became the team we all know today. Granted we will not reach the 7 wins he did in his first year but it could be argued that this Texas culture has been a dumpster fire longer than Bama was when he took over. 

You are correct, neither Saban or Meyer wanted the job.  I will say that an absurd amount of money could have possibly lured them here but its likely an amount that the admin could not live with as I don't think they are as concerned about winning as the fans are.  My only point was that we needed to make every effort to hire a HC that has won a natty as a HC and not an assistant.  It seems that this has never worked out for us.  Who knows maybe a Dave Aranda type is out there and could be successful.  Yes, I guess it is a crap shoot at best but I do think that you can better your odds by going with someone that has done it. 

The biggest criteria in my mind beside the natty is that coaches ability to command the room.  To bend the will of others to his.  That is what I think we need.  Charlie, Tom, and not even Sark appear to have that trait.  Am I wrong?

1 minute ago, zion3d said:

You are correct, neither Saban or Meyer wanted the job.  I will say that an absurd amount of money could have possibly lured them here but its likely an amount that the admin could not live with as I don't think they are as concerned about winning as the fans are.  My only point was that we needed to make every effort to hire a HC that has won a natty as a HC and not an assistant.  It seems that this has never worked out for us.  Who knows maybe a Dave Aranda type is out there and could be successful.  Yes, I guess it is a crap shoot at best but I do think that you can better your odds by going with someone that has done it. 

Please list your top 3 coaches that have won national titles and you think could come to Texas.

I mean, maybe we should've hired Mack away from UNC... It worked the last time didn't it ?!

Okay I get the sarcasm.  There are currently 5 head coaches with a natty.  Of those 5 there are 2 that you would have to hold your nose on hiring because of their ethics.  Of the 3 remaining I believe that we could find 1 that could be bought given enough money.  

No one on this board or even the smartest minds in college football can guarantee that any coach will win a natty.  I am going with those that don't have to prove they can because they already did.  If we cannot get one of those coaches then you go with the coach that has a proven record of winning conference championships.  

At the time of the Sarkesian hire there might not have been a better choice but this goes back to Charlie and Herman as well.  Texas has always had issues finding the right head coach minus a couple of good ones.  

3 minutes ago, TFloss32 said:

Sark saying he sees a path for 33 new scholarship players next season.

Almost 40% of the roster turned over.

A necessary move. My only question about this (which I don't think anyone has asked) is why didn't he do this last season?

Did he just want a chance to see everyone play for a year to see what we had? He couldv'e gone back and watched game tape, but maybe he wanted a chance to coach them all himself. 

22 minutes ago, zion3d said:

At the time of the Sarkesian hire there might not have been a better choice but this goes back to Charlie and Herman as well.  Texas has always had issues finding the right head coach minus a couple of good one

Hard to believe this has proven so accurate for such a prestigious university but it sadly true.

23 minutes ago, Captain Hookem said:

A necessary move. My only question about this (which I don't think anyone has asked) is why didn't he do this last season?

Did he just want a chance to see everyone play for a year to see what we had? He couldv'e gone back and watched game tape, but maybe he wanted a chance to coach them all himself. 

Not sure he had time when he took over to turn that much of the roster over and still field a team that could compete with Kansas...wait, we still can't.😢

Sark has lost the locker room long ago. He lost the fans. Even the forums are quiet. Social media and Youtube are full of Sark dirty laundry. 

These players see things with the same eyes we do. They have the same doubts about schemes and play calls  and personnel moves as we do.

I'd imagine Sark might finish out of the top 10 if he had a online football tournament against his players. They aren't stupid. They see we have been outcoached.

23 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

They see we have been outcoached.

The way I see this.  There are obviously 3 choices.  Coaches fault, players fault, or Both.

If its the coaches then Strong, Herman, and Sark all suck.  This is definitely plausible.  So its all on the coaches for the Kansas game?  I remember Acho saying a few years ago there was absolutely no excuse for letting Kansas score 48 points in DKR.  That was a different coach as well.  To be fair different players too.  He also mentioned the players didnt come out ready to fight they just went through the motions.  Kansas is the only team that has scored 48+ at DKR twice.  OSU didnt even come close.  What does that tell you?

This team packed it in after OSU loss.  Its Sark's responsibility bottom line but because our LT Jones cant block and directly responsible for 2 turnovers does that mean Flood sucks too? 

There is an argument that has been mentioned here many times.  I guess all these coaches forgot how to coach once they got to Texas.  Flood spent 2 years at Alabama but somehow its either his doing that Jones cant block anyone or maybe just maybe Jones sucks at pass blocking or maybe Jones doesnt care to block anyone and isnt afraid of the bench.  You pick one

Edited by DMAC

20 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

Sark has lost the locker room long ago. He lost the fans. Even the forums are quiet. Social media and Youtube are full of Sark dirty laundry. 

These players see things with the same eyes we do. They have the same doubts about schemes and play calls  and personnel moves as we do.

I'd imagine Sark might finish out of the top 10 if he had a online football tournament against his players. They aren't stupid. They see we have been outcoached.

I don't think Sark has lost anyone that matters. Yeah, you have some players who probably need to exit stage left. That is painfully obvious. So I don't think fans hold that against Sark. He played the hand that was dealt to him.

The locker room – who cares? They SUCK. They lost to Kansas. They gave up the season back at halftime of the OU game.

Those who are worth their salt and worth our future will stick around. The problems, hopefully, will just leave.

I know you've been wanting to fire Sark for a couple of months now. I'm not going to repeat the same logic over and over again to you. So you know the reasons. They haven't changed.