Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-recruiting)

26 minutes ago, Wayne said:

They left the Big 12 because of the partial qualifiers.  The NCAA had already gotten rid of the partial qualifier exception in 2005.   They left for the greener pastures of the Big 10 with no recruiting ground left. They couldn’t recruit Texas anymore because if you’re from Texas and want to play in the Big 10 you pick OSU or Michigan or Wisconsin not Lincoln NE. 

So now they can’t recruit Texas and they can’t use partial qualifiers.  They leave anyway.  They did it to themselves. And I was correct. 

2005 is 10 years after the event in question. Obviously, the pastures of the Big 10 just seemed green at the time.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So this post has nothing to do with any UT sports, this is just me being proud of my daughter. She just got accepted into UT pharmacy school. Sorry for going off topic, but I had to brag a little. Bac

Didn't know where to put this, but here ya go. Looks like Derrian Brown on the road to recovery and at the least he could have a normal life!   

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Incorrect. DeLoss Dodds removed their ability to accept partial qualifiers. To that point, Nebraska had made a living on partial qualifiers. And once Dodds conditioned the end of that to our entry into the conference, Nebraska's program was headed south.

Its one reason why our win over them in the conference title game was so sweet. There were partial qualifiers playing for them in that game. It marked the beginning of the end for them.

This grew to be such a sore spot with them that they accused Texas of manhandling the conference, thus leading them to go to the Big 10. Regardless of what conference they went to or remained in, the deterioration of their program was eminent and unstoppable.

This is true and tommyboy took it as a huge slap down and blamed Texas since Texas was the most insistent on PQ restrictions.  Previously, Nebbie was  operating athletically as a power conference community college.  Players like Lawrence Phillips should have gone JUCO if he even qualified for that.  From what I was told way back when was that Texas would not compromise on lowering academic acceptance for athletics or it wouldnt join the new conference but they were willing to vote for somethings that were less objectionable like un-equal revenue sharing (that i agreed with, FWIW); something aggy and nebbie REALLY wanted. Nebbie whining about revenue sharing in 2011 was enormously hypocritical. Texas was insistent that if there was going to be a combined new conference, then there needed to be equal application; otherwise, there is no reason to do it.  Bottom line: the Big8 was just as close to implosion as the SWC was and needed the Texas schools and markets more than Nebraska's influence - they all saw that

I think there were four things that tommyboy used to build his program starting in the '80s when the pressure was on to win a championship.

1. Partial qualifiers to bring in talent from around the country to UN-L that the region was seriously lacking;  [this issue was mitigated by the ncaa accepting what was essentially the Big12 partial qualifier model in the early 2000s]

2. Turn the JV system into a walk-on program that retained a whole roster quantity (about another 60-80 players) from which to grow non-ranked players into depth chart adds and some into draft picks 5 yrs later.  You would only need about 5% of the additional players to grow from diamonds-in-the-rough to roster players for it to turn in to a serious advantage.  Imagine what Texas or Okiehoma could do with an additional roster to pick from as the cream rises to the top. IIRC, during the Fiesta bowl game around 1995 or 96, the nebbie sidelines was so crowded with players that the commentators even mentioned it during the game and stated that they had something like 160 players on their travel squad... again, 160 on the TRAVEL squad. [this was also mitigated later by ncaa limiting total roster numbers - is it 115 players right now?]

3. Strength & conditioning with roids.  NU was WAY ahead of most of the country in S&C, nutrition and facilities; that was a big advantage but not the real issue. During the early to mid '80s (and through the '90s) before most people even knew what roids were and before tests and systems in place to test and prevent it, there were a lot of rumors about nebbie teams using roids. Imagine having an extra roster of players locked in a weight room and taking roids for 4-5 yrs, those original 6-4 190 pound skinny players suddenly look like OL, DL, and LB draft picks four years later.  [This was mitigated by ncaa developing enhancement drug protocols later]

4. Beneficial scholarship programs for football players. I've read nebbie article after article where they say it didnt happen but there was a lot of smoke (kind of like when Art Briles coached in stevenville -  a lot of smoke). Essentially, as I understand it,  the deal was that the state of NE allowed each county to sponsor a student to go to the flagship school (UN-L),  Sounds great until it got around that counties were sponsoring athletes to play for Tommyboy.  If it were limited to walk-ons nobody would really have a problem with it but when it included players that would have been on scholarship that were then not counted towards the football scholarship totals, people started shaking their heads.  [this was also mitigated later by the ncaa as an unintended consequence of what was loosely called the Miami rule. Miami would recruit players and then put them on a track scholarship so they wouldnt count towards the football scholarship limits.] Now, regardless of what type of scholarship you have, if you play on the football team, that scholarship counts toward the total scholarship limit. 

I'm sure there's more stuff I've forgotten over the years but the Big12 put an end to all this nonsense that Tommyboy was getting away with in the Big8 (since they - tommyboy - called most of the shots in the Big8).  And, all these issues that DrOz got angry about and blamed Texas (even though his own Big8 peers voted against him) were  dealt with by the ncaa later anyway.  It's my opinion that tommyboy KNEW that his program would be gutted as a result of the conference paradigm shift in 1995 and he only had a few years left.  It could have been a coincidence but I dont think it was that tommyboy retired after the 1997 season when his last pre-Big12 four year players were finished.  His program model just wasnt conducive to starting from scratch and he knew it. 

2 hours ago, Soldierhorn said:

This is true and tommyboy took it as a huge slap down and blamed Texas since Texas was the most insistent on PQ restrictions.  Previously, Nebbie was  operating athletically as a power conference community college.  Players like Lawrence Phillips should have gone JUCO if he even qualified for that.  From what I was told way back when was that Texas would not compromise on lowering academic acceptance for athletics or it wouldnt join the new conference but they were willing to vote for somethings that were less objectionable like un-equal revenue sharing (that i agreed with, FWIW); something aggy and nebbie REALLY wanted. Nebbie whining about revenue sharing in 2011 was enormously hypocritical. Texas was insistent that if there was going to be a combined new conference, then there needed to be equal application; otherwise, there is no reason to do it.  Bottom line: the Big8 was just as close to implosion as the SWC was and needed the Texas schools and markets more than Nebraska's influence - they all saw that

I think there were four things that tommyboy used to build his program starting in the '80s when the pressure was on to win a championship.

1. Partial qualifiers to bring in talent from around the country to UN-L that the region was seriously lacking;  [this issue was mitigated by the ncaa accepting what was essentially the Big12 partial qualifier model in the early 2000s]

2. Turn the JV system into a walk-on program that retained a whole roster quantity (about another 60-80 players) from which to grow non-ranked players into depth chart adds and some into draft picks 5 yrs later.  You would only need about 5% of the additional players to grow from diamonds-in-the-rough to roster players for it to turn in to a serious advantage.  Imagine what Texas or Okiehoma could do with an additional roster to pick from as the cream rises to the top. IIRC, during the Fiesta bowl game around 1995 or 96, the nebbie sidelines was so crowded with players that the commentators even mentioned it during the game and stated that they had something like 160 players on their travel squad... again, 160 on the TRAVEL squad. [this was also mitigated later by ncaa limiting total roster numbers - is it 115 players right now?]

3. Strength & conditioning with roids.  NU was WAY ahead of most of the country in S&C, nutrition and facilities; that was a big advantage but not the real issue. During the early to mid '80s (and through the '90s) before most people even knew what roids were and before tests and systems in place to test and prevent it, there were a lot of rumors about nebbie teams using roids. Imagine having an extra roster of players locked in a weight room and taking roids for 4-5 yrs, those original 6-4 190 pound skinny players suddenly look like OL, DL, and LB draft picks four years later.  [This was mitigated by ncaa developing enhancement drugs protocols later]

4. Beneficial scholarship programs for football players. I've read nebbie article after article where they say it didnt happen but there was a lot of smoke (kind of like when Art Briles coached in stevenville -  a lot of smoke). Essentially, as I understand it,  the deal was that the state of NE allowed each county to sponsor a student to go to the flagship school (UN-L),  Sounds great until it got around that counties were sponsoring athletes to play for Tommyboy.  If it were limited to walk-ons nobody would really have a problem with it but when it included players that would have been on scholarship that were then not counted towards the football scholarship totals, people started shaking their heads.  [this was also mitigated later by the ncaa as an unintended consequence of what was loosely called the Miami rule. Miami would recruit players and then put them on a track scholarship so they wouldnt count towards the football scholarship limits.] Njow, regardless of what type of scholarship you have, if you play on the football team, that scholarship counts toward the total scholarship limit. 

I'm sure there's more stuff I've forgotten over the years but the Big12 put an end to all this nonsense that Tommyboy was getting away with in the Big8 (since they - tommyboy - called most of the shots in the Big8).  And, all these issues that DrOz got angry about and blamed Texas (even though his own Big8 peers voted against him) were  dealt with by the ncaa later anyway.  It's my opinion that tommyboy KNEW that his program would be gutted as a result of the conference paradigm shift in 1995 and he only had a few years left.  It could have been a coincidence but I dont think it was that tommyboy retired after the 1997 season when his last pre-Big12 four year players were finished.  His program model just wasnt conducive to starting from scratch and he knew that. 

Excellent analysis.

Riley is a hypocrite POS. It seems like old times when the OU coach is a POS.

Oklahoma coach Lincoln Riley defends stance in delaying transfer QB Chandler Morris being released to TCU

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/oklahoma-coach-lincoln-riley-defends-stance-in-delaying-transfer-qb-chandler-morris-being-released-to-tcu/

27 minutes ago, TFloss32 said:

He is one of the highest rated players Texas has ever recruited.  He was not only the best defensive player in the state coming out of high school but arguably the best running back as well.  Imagine how good he could have been at Texas if he didnt do so much stupid crap that put him out of commission several times... like... driving into a brick wall... or, supposedly, innocently falling down a flight of stairs. 

Ramsey-idiot sandwich.gif

1 hour ago, Soldierhorn said:

He is one of the highest rated players Texas has ever recruited.  He was not only the best defensive player in the state coming out of high school but arguably the best running back as well.  Imagine how good he could have been at Texas if he didnt do so much stupid crap that put him out of commission several times... like... driving into a brick wall... or, supposedly, innocently falling down a flight of stairs. 

Ramsey-idiot sandwich.gif

I think the stairs incident, where he cracked his skull, happened after he left UT.

But yeah, I've always wondered how he might have done had UT put him at RB. 

5 hours ago, Soldierhorn said:

so...

ALL GAS - NO BREAKS.!  Are "pauses" simply taking the foot off the accelerator and not applying breaks? 

Just buying time for more offseason conditioning before fully ramping up practice. Lol

14 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Buddha on another site is saying something really bad is about to happen with regard to TEOT, next week.

I have pulled back a lot over the last 5 yrs or so and my convictions tell me to pull back more.  if they decide to give in to the cancel culture, then I'm probably done with college sports.