Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-recruiting)

Question for everyone, who are the top 3 to 4 players on the roster that you're rooting for in 2021.  The guys that maybe don't get all the hype, have disappeared or who haven't quite lived up to their potential yet.

Mine would be:

Roschon Johnson - he may not be nearly as talented as Bijan, but he runs with everything he has all the time

BJ Foster - BJ had a rough 2020 and almost quit the team.  Not sure what was going with him, but Im really hoping he has a stellar 2021

Anthony Cook - Has never lived up to the hype coming out of HS, but does have all the tools available.  Not sure if he will be a starter next year (at least he isn't projected as such right now), but with a new staff he has the possibility if everything clicks for him.

Marcus Washington - the departure of Eagles opens the door for him to compete for major time.  He seems to have some chemistry with Casey, so I'm pulling for him to become this years breakout WR.  Added bonus, his success will shine a light on other STL area kids for recruiting and that area has some skill players.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So this post has nothing to do with any UT sports, this is just me being proud of my daughter. She just got accepted into UT pharmacy school. Sorry for going off topic, but I had to brag a little. Bac

Didn't know where to put this, but here ya go. Looks like Derrian Brown on the road to recovery and at the least he could have a normal life!   

Posted Images

Only second

Ranking College Football's Top Big-Play Threats

2. Bijan Robinson, Running Back, Texas

67d757a6f49bb0de59b4b1ace6a4f981_crop_exact.jpg

Look at the way Lane Kiffin took talented players at Ole Miss like Elijah Moore and Jerrion Ealy and kicked their production up a notch. Now, extrapolate that across a better, more ready-to-win program like Texas, and you've got the kind of offensive development Longhorns fans should expect from Steve Sarkisian in '21.

Perhaps nobody will benefit more than a kid who already has all the trappings of being one of college football's rising stars.

That would be sophomore running back Bijan Robinson, who looks like an All-American waiting to happen. The 5-star Arizona product was brought along slow early but finished with a bang.

After five plodding games to start the year, the 6'0", 222-pound blazer who doubles as a wrecking ball broke out with 113 yards on just 12 carries in a rugged 17-13 win over West Virginia. Iowa State held him in check the next week, but that was the end of that.

Robinson torched Kansas State for 172 yards on nine carries and scored three touchdowns, including a 75-yard scamper in a 69-31 win. He averaged 19.1 yards per carry in the regular-season finale.

Then, against Colorado in the Alamo Bowl, he followed up the performance with 183 yards on 10 carries and a touchdown. He added two catches for 37 yards and another pair of touchdowns.

Of all the weapons Sarkisian inherits, Robinson is the biggest. He may wind up being the most explosive player in college football.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2933224-ranking-college-footballs-top-big-play-threats

This guy is off. Coach PK as the tenth best hire as a coordinator is a joke. Also, Gus  Malzahn over Sark is another.

The best college football hires — coaches and assistants — of the 2021 offseason

2. Steve Sarkisian, Texas

Steve Sarkisian is no push over. He never has been. Personal demons got the best of him at USC, but he's a big-time Power 5 head coach capable of winning championships. He showed it at Washington, and the thinking here is he would have done the same at USC if he remained on the straight and narrow.

Sarkisian has done more than enough to rehabilitate his image personally and professionally while at Alabama, where he coached a historic offense with two Heisman finalists and a winner (the first receiver in 30 years, DeVonta Smith). He could have been a serious contender for the SEC gig at Auburn, but Texas had eyes for him and he had eyes for the Longhorns. If he recruits well and continues to be the coach we all know he can be and has been, he will be successful in the Big 12.

COORDINATORS

College football quarterback battles to keep an eye on as 2021 spring practice gets underway

Texas 

Contenders: Casey Thompson, Hudson Card 

Analysis: It's real tough not to tap Thompson as the likely starter in Austin, but with a coaching transition, it's worth following the coach-speak and assuming "every job is an open competition." Steve Sarkisian and offensive coordinator Kyle Flood no doubt have broken down the tape of Thompson's four-touchdown performance in the 55-23 win against Colorado in the Alamo Bowl, and in that, have seen plenty of exciting potential of what the 2021 backfield with Thompson and all-purpose back Bijan Robinson can do to Big 12 defenses. 

Don't ignore the role that Hudson Card could play in this battle, however. A four-star coming out of the legendary Austin-area football powerhouse that is Lake Travis, Card only trailed three quarterbacks in the 247Sports Composite rankings in the 2020 class -- Alabama's Bryce Young, Clemson's DJ Uiagalelei and Ohio State's CJ Stroud. That kind of company hasn't been seen on the field in the way that Young and especially Uiagalelei got to showcase in 2020, but it's still worth noting when considering how that raw talent with a year of development might be able to impress a new coaching staff more than the (admittedly impressive) highlight reel from Thompson in the bowl win. 

casey-thompson-texas.jpg
Casey Thompson's Alamo Bowl performance has him as the frontrunner at Texas.  Getty Images

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-quarterback-battles-to-keep-an-eye-on-as-2021-spring-practice-gets-underway/

Uh oh. Teams are going to have tape on Bijan.:)

Ranking the Big 12's top 10 running backs ahead of spring football

2. BIJAN ROBINSON — TEXAS

Bijan Robinson Bijan Robinson
(Photo: Tim Warner, Getty)

A five-star recruit and the No. 15 overall player in the 2020 recruiting class, the expectations were already high as ever on Robinson coming into this past season. It took him a while to get a heavy workload, as he carried the ball just 14 combined times in the first three games of the year but when his carries increased, so did his production. Robinson ran the ball 86 times this year for 703 yards and four touchdowns, including going over 100 yards in three of his last four games of the year.

There could be concerns about Robinson being easier to stop with more tape out there on him as a sophomore, but the momentum at the end of 2020 is just too powerful to look past.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Big-12-conference-football-top-10-running-backs-2021-season-Breece-Hall-Kennedy-Brooks-Texas-Longhorns-Oklahoma-Sooners-161804851/#161804851_5

5 hours ago, primal defense said:

College football quarterback battles to keep an eye on as 2021 spring practice gets underway

Texas 

Contenders: Casey Thompson, Hudson Card 

Analysis: It's real tough not to tap Thompson as the likely starter in Austin, but with a coaching transition, it's worth following the coach-speak and assuming "every job is an open competition." Steve Sarkisian and offensive coordinator Kyle Flood no doubt have broken down the tape of Thompson's four-touchdown performance in the 55-23 win against Colorado in the Alamo Bowl, and in that, have seen plenty of exciting potential of what the 2021 backfield with Thompson and all-purpose back Bijan Robinson can do to Big 12 defenses. 

Don't ignore the role that Hudson Card could play in this battle, however. A four-star coming out of the legendary Austin-area football powerhouse that is Lake Travis, Card only trailed three quarterbacks in the 247Sports Composite rankings in the 2020 class -- Alabama's Bryce Young, Clemson's DJ Uiagalelei and Ohio State's CJ Stroud. That kind of company hasn't been seen on the field in the way that Young and especially Uiagalelei got to showcase in 2020, but it's still worth noting when considering how that raw talent with a year of development might be able to impress a new coaching staff more than the (admittedly impressive) highlight reel from Thompson in the bowl win. 

casey-thompson-texas.jpg

Casey Thompson's Alamo Bowl performance has him as the frontrunner at Texas.  Getty Images

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-quarterback-battles-to-keep-an-eye-on-as-2021-spring-practice-gets-underway/

I'm giving the edge to Casey due to what he showed in the 2nd half against Colorado which was awesome.

2 minutes ago, tejasrulz said:

I'm giving the edge to Casey due to what he showed in the 2nd half against Colorado which was awesome.

I think that's a good bet. You certainly can't penalize him in any way after the way he played.

I give him the edge as well. But I'm happy knowing that Card and Thompson will make each other better over time. And each of them will get to learn from Sark.

I'm sure this has already been posted and talked about since it happened over a month ago... but, I was talking to a guy about Thornton yesterday and his commitment to Texas.  Thornton went to a Killeen high school (Shoemaker) and then committed to LSU. There is a lot of talent that comes through the Fort Hood area schools (Belton, Temple, Harker Heights, Killeen, Copperas Cove, etc) and by Texas getting Thornton to come home so to speak, it could pay big dividends in the future.  Not sure  it means anything but just passing it on

FYI, originally in 2016 class but supposedly he has two years of eligibility left

https://247sports.com/player/ray-thornton-79514/

ooops, I posted this on the wrong board. It was suppose to be on the recruiting board.  Mods... move if need be 

• Administrators

Here is the link to the new roster table for those who were asking, but we'll still get it embedded in the pinned thread so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

Two quick notes:

- the table includes the walk-ons who received scholarships last year until we hear otherwise, and also factors in those who have transferred in.

- there may be one or two guys from last year's freshman class who are incorrectly listed as a sophomore or redshirt freshman, but I went off of what stats said for how many games they played in. I will adjust that if needed.

Please let me know if anyone has corrections or comments.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1O-Kgg-CxohtO_KQmirKg9qjL5Vxsdy5G/edit#gid=2133343734