Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-recruiting)


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So this post has nothing to do with any UT sports, this is just me being proud of my daughter. She just got accepted into UT pharmacy school. Sorry for going off topic, but I had to brag a little. Bac

Didn't know where to put this, but here ya go. Looks like Derrian Brown on the road to recovery and at the least he could have a normal life!   

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Don't really understand why he wasn't more of a rotational guy. He played well in his one start. I know he's behind Ossai but Ossai needs a rest here and there.

I think it is because he's not a good fit in the new scheme and has been passed over by a walk-on and a former TE. By next year, he'll probably get passed over by some LBs behind him and that's with virtually everyone coming back (there are no senior LBs this year). he doesnt move well laterally and doesnt have good closing speed needed in a 4-2 scheme.  He needs to bulk up and put his hand in the dirt so he can take advantage of his natural abilities.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Slumping stars: Players with disappointing 2020 seasons so far

 

 

SAM EHLINGER, QB, TEXAS

 

It feels sacrilegious to mention a guy who is putting the team on his back each weekend, but Ehlinger hasn’t been what we expected him to be as a senior. Sure, he ranks second nationally with 17 passing touchdowns. He’s also single-handily carried Texas for stretches. But Ehlinger is also part of the reason the Longhorns so often find themselves in a hole.

Ehlinger is completing a career-worst 57.5 percent of his passes. Couple that stat with a career-low seven yards per attempt and seven INTs – already three off tying his career high – and it paints a picture of a quarterback who’s struggling instead of thriving as a fourth-year senior. Part of that is on an offensive line, especially the interior, that hasn’t played well most of the year. But Ehligner has been awful under pressure, completing just 39.3 percent of his passes per PFF College. That’s down from 53.2 percent from a season ago and is worse than even his true freshman rate (41.2%).

And I know what you’ll say: Ehlinger’s impact isn’t fully measured with his passing numbers. You’re right. Ehlinger’s ability to keep Texas in the game with his legs and willpower is commendable. Fact remains, though, the Longhorns needed their senior QB to raise his game if they hoped to win a championship. Instead, he’s regressed (as have his teammates). Thus, a disappointing 3-2 record.

 

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Players-with-disappointing-2020-college-football-seasons-Marvin-Wilson-Dylan-Moses-Sam-Ehlinger-153699791/#153699791_9

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to disagree with most of that article. Sam's been banged up. OL gets a casual mention in that article but is key to why Sam keeps running for his life. Our running game sucks and that's on the OL. And that also puts pressure on Sam.

Sam's numbers are down, but he's fighting like we would all ask him to, same as before.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I'm going to disagree with most of that article. Sam's been banged up. OL gets a casual mention in that article but is key to why Sam keeps running for his life. Our running game sucks and that's on the OL. And that also puts pressure on Sam.

Sam's numbers are down, but he's fighting like we would all ask him to, same as before.

Maybe we should appreciate how good Devin Duvernay & Collin Johnson were and how they made Sam look much better than he was.  Why did Collin have to make acrobatic catch after acrobatic catch?  Because Sam was so inaccurate.  Devin caught just about anything that was around him; again saving Sam's butt over and over again. Sam is getting good enough pass pro to have great numbers but he's not delivering.  What Sam needs more than anything is a good running game so that teams cant sit back in a dime package all game long. THIS is where the OL is failing.  Dropped passes dont help either.  IMO, the bottom line is that Sam is the same. the reality is that his QB skill set is not as good as people wanted to believe

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Soldierhorn said:

Maybe we should appreciate how good Devin Duvernay & Collin Johnson were and how they made Sam look much better than he was.  Why did Collin have to make acrobatic catch after acrobatic catch?  Because Sam was so inaccurate.  Devin caught just about anything that was around him; again saving Sam's butt over and over again. Sam is getting good enough pass pro to have great numbers but he's not delivering.  What Sam needs more than anything is a good running game so that teams cant sit back in a dime package all game long. THIS is where the OL is failing.  Dropped passes dont help either.  IMO, the bottom line is that Sam is the same. the reality is that his QB skill set is not as good as people wanted to believe

No matter what your size, you're going to try to get balls no matter where they come at you. I suppose Terry Bradshaw was bad because of the catches Lynn Swann made?

You recruit those kinds of athletes to Texas.

Agree with everything else

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

No matter what your size, you're going to try to get balls no matter where they come at you. I suppose Terry Bradshaw was bad because of the catches Lynn Swann made?

You recruit those kinds of athletes to Texas.

Agree with everything else

way to miss the point. Ehlinger has grown a little bit but he is still the same inaccurate passer he always was.  This year the receivers are not bailing him out, esp in key moments. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Soldierhorn said:

way to miss the point. Ehlinger has grown a little bit but he is still the same inaccurate passer he always was.  This year the receivers are not bailing him out, esp in key moments. 

So you're saying there are no Lynn Swanns here. lol I don't think your point was missed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

So you're saying there are no Lynn Swanns here. lol I don't think your point was missed.

NO, not yet. there's potential but they are not showing it right now. 

Eagles, Smith, & Moore are suppose to be ballers but are inconsistent and none show the passion for the skill set that Devin & Collin brought every game.  Whittington?  shows promise but cant stay healthy.  Woodard? 5 games & 1 catch.  Omeire?  heard a lot of preseason praise but... nothing.  Epps?  inconsistent and cant block.  T Black shows a lot of spark and he's a senior transfer.

When are the bluechips going to step up and meet expectations? they are not and we are seeing a lot of Brende Schooler & Kai Money, which is great... but that should tell you something; 

The receiver that should become Ehlinger's new best friend is Jared Wiley.  A big body and close to the LOS so Ehlinger doesnt have to be as accurate and he seems to make things happen. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

No matter what your size, you're going to try to get balls no matter where they come at you. I suppose Terry Bradshaw was bad because of the catches Lynn Swann made?

You recruit those kinds of athletes to Texas.

Agree with everything else

You remember? Bradshaw couldn't spell cat if you spotted in the C and the A. 

Hollywood sign hollywood GIF

The gif source is severely lacking

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Soldierhorn said:

NO, not yet. there's potential but they are not showing it right now. 

Eagles, Smith, & Moore are suppose to be ballers but are inconsistent and none show the passion for the skill set that Devin & Collin brought every game.  Whittington?  shows promise but cant stay healthy.  Woodard? 5 games & 1 catch.  Omeire?  heard a lot of preseason praise but... nothing.  Epps?  inconsistent and cant block.  T Black shows a lot of spark and he's a senior transfer.

When are the bluechips going to step up and meet expectations? they are not and we are seeing a lot of Brende Schooler & Kai Money, which is great... but that should tell you something; 

The receiver that should become Ehlinger's new best friend is Jared Wiley.  A big body and close to the LOS so Ehlinger doesnt have to be as accurate and he seems to make things happen. 

 

You do realize that Omeire is out for the season, right?

And listening to what Sam E. had to say today and then filling in the blanks tells you why there is inconsistency with the receiving corp. They continue to rotate receivers in and out way too much instead of going with the 3-4 best. 

Here is his exact quote; "It is challenging to build consistent chemistry with the committee," 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, North Texas Golfer said:

You do realize that Omeire is out for the season, right?

And listening to what Sam E. had to say today and then filling in the blanks tells you why there is inconsistency with the receiving corp. They continue to rotate receivers in and out way too much instead of going with the 3-4 best. 

Here is his exact quote; "It is challenging to build consistent chemistry with the committee," 

People are also making the same excuse for the running game, in that they are swapping out RBs to much to get a rhythm.  Believe that if you want.  A running back room full of blue chips should be plug and play if the OL is creating lanes  to run. what is the common denominator? the OL

Much the same with the receiver corps.  Ehlinger SHOULD be able to hit receivers as they are swapped in and out.  NOBODY plays the same receivers almost every play, esp the ones that go on the deep routes.  Sam seems to throw late, high and behind receivers regardless of whether they are starters or not - that is not a rotation issue.  What is the common denominator?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Soldierhorn said:

NO, not yet. there's potential but they are not showing it right now. 

Eagles, Smith, & Moore are suppose to be ballers but are inconsistent and none show the passion for the skill set that Devin & Collin brought every game.  Whittington?  shows promise but cant stay healthy.  Woodard? 5 games & 1 catch.  Omeire?  heard a lot of preseason praise but... nothing.  Epps?  inconsistent and cant block.  T Black shows a lot of spark and he's a senior transfer.

When are the bluechips going to step up and meet expectations? they are not and we are seeing a lot of Brende Schooler & Kai Money, which is great... but that should tell you something; 

The receiver that should become Ehlinger's new best friend is Jared Wiley.  A big body and close to the LOS so Ehlinger doesnt have to be as accurate and he seems to make things happen. 

 

Well, in all fairness, Omeire was lost for the season before the season really began. Whittington has a "glass jaw" problem, so to speak. And say what you want about Epps, I've seen him do a big thing here and there. He recovered the on-side kick against Tech, for one. He was a three-star coming out of HS, so he was a project in the first place.

I can't speak to the others. I have the same sentiments as you do. Black has made some plays, but has not been the go-to guy I was hoping he'd be.

We should never see Kai Money play ball at Texas. When you have a walk-on getting starter reps on offense, that in itself says a ton about your program. And its not good.

I love me some Jared Wiley. He'll be the next big thing at TE for Texas. Its been a while.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Soldierhorn said:

People are also making the same excuse for the running game, in that they are swapping out RBs to much to get a rhythm.  Believe that if you want.  A running back room full of blue chips should be plug and play if the OL is creating lanes  to run. what is the common denominator? the OL

Much the same with the receiver corps.  Ehlinger SHOULD be able to hit receivers as they are swapped in and out.  NOBODY plays the same receivers almost every play, esp the ones that go on the deep routes.  Sam seems to throw late, high and behind receivers regardless of whether they are starters or not - that is not a rotation issue.  What is the common denominator?

When I get time, I'm going to do a little research on this. I really think the top teams don't swap the RB's and WR's in and out as much as Texas does. But I could be wrong. Will be interesting to see. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 Been saying for years OL is biggest problem

2 At times Samis very inaccurate espicalyon long passes.

3 WRS havent lived up to thier ratings. TE and Moore best IMO. The rest for one reason or another are disapointing.

4 A win this week end will change a lot of how we all feel.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Week
    Opponent
    W/L
    9/12
    UTEP
    W 59-3
    9/26
    @Texas Tech
    W 63-56 (OT)
    10/3
    TCU
    L 31-33
    10/10
    Oklahoma
    L 45-53 (4OT)
    10/24
    Baylor
    W 27-16
    10/31
    @Oklahoma State
    W 41-34 (OT)
    11/7
    West Virginia
    W 17-13
    11/21
    @Kansas
    11/28
    Iowa State
    12/5
    @Kansas State

Our Affiliation

USATDP_Logo.png

Quick Links

Home
Forums
News
Store

Quick Links

Football
Men's Basketball
Baseball
More Sports

Quick Links

×
×
  • Create New...