Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-recruiting)

Baron

• Administrators
2 hours ago, NEOkHorn said:

As for Herman's future, it appears he will remain despite all of the issues going on within the program and the seemingly collapse of recruiting coming which means my Saturdays for the foreseeable future will be feed up for more constructive items.

I wouldn't go that far yet.

Herman isn't winning out, and my guess is he isn't getting out of Stillwater unscathed.

I wouldn't be confident in the team beating Baylor at home before that, if that game even happens.

Even if there's someone out there who likes Herman, it's becoming quite obvious the cost of keeping him far outweighs the price of getting him out.

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, tejasrulz said:

Per a source, Texas has already lost approximately $25M on the expansion project due to what happened during The Eyes last Saturday and that's of today, 4 days after. If correct, that has to hurt an already strapped project.

Something like that is a great example of why you can't simply focus on Herman's buyout cost when deciding what to do with him.

1 hour ago, TFloss32 said:

Something like that is a great example of why you can't simply focus on Herman's buyout cost when deciding what to do with him.

Maybe keeping Herman is the reason they're keeping the money? Turn Herman loose and they loosen up the wallet per say?

2 hours ago, tejasrulz said:

Per a source, Texas has already lost approximately $25M on the expansion project due to what happened during The Eyes last Saturday and that's of today, 4 days after. If correct, that has to hurt an already strapped project.

Actions have consequences. UT better get its act together.

7 hours ago, TFloss32 said:

Per OrangeBloods, Del Conte will be meeting with the players tomorrow for another discussion over The Eyes and how to handle it going forward.

Please take any political opinions to the other thread.

This has to be worked out or other schools will use this as a weapon. This happened to DKR when Texas was slow to integrate..

I would .hate to see UT sell their soul for someone like Urban Meyer and then he fails because he's hampered by recruiting.

6 hours ago, primal defense said:

Where did you get that from?

I apologize, I did not mean to give the impression that I had any inside info. Simply reading what little tea leaves I get here in NE OK. It just does not seem to me that the ptb at the University have the stomach or desire to move on during the season and I wonder how much damage may be caused if a change is not made until the wheels completely fall off.

26 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

IMO  the only thing that hurt DKR recruiting was OU cheating and others buying players.

In the winter of 1972, Royal discussed with Johnson the problems that Texas had recruiting African-American players. Royal had been slow to integrate -- the 1969 team is known as being the last all-white national champion -- and other schools had taken advantage of the opening that lapse created. Houston and Oklahoma, the other schools in which Washington showed interest, had been integrated for some time.

The "racist image," Royal said in an oral history he gave to the LBJ Library in 1987, "carried on down through the years and still exists in some blacks' minds today, and I was having a hard time convincing black student-athletes that we wanted them on campus. And he [Johnson] said, 'Well, let me call Mack Hannah, and let's just meet out here at the Ranch.'"

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/7522643/recruiting-joe-washington-turned-lyndon-b-johnson-texas-longhorns

Is the Washington Joe the RB who went to OU?If so was proably bought same as Billy Simms.

However Trxas had social problems along with every southern school.

DKR became my favorite coach when seting at his desk, an assistant came saying our returninh QB is talking of leaving. What shall I tell him? Without looking up DKR said tell him goodbye. His first yeay at Texas.

• Administrators
21 hours ago, TFloss32 said:

Per OrangeBloods, Del Conte will be meeting with the players tomorrow for another discussion over The Eyes and how to handle it going forward.

Please take any political opinions to the other thread.

OrangeBloods said the meeting with Hartzell, Del Conte, Herman and the football team went down last night.

It was conveyed to the players they are expected to stay on the field for the The Eyes to show respect for the school and fans, but participating is up to them.

• Administrators
44 minutes ago, TFloss32 said:

OrangeBloods said the meeting with Hartzell, Del Conte, Herman and the football team went down last night.

It was conveyed to the players they are expected to stay on the field for the The Eyes to show respect for the school and fans, but participating is up to them.

16 hours ago, primal defense said:

You could say the thing same thing about Darrell Royal in the last 60's. In the 70's that was no longer true.

Hopefully, this will be worked out, so we don't have to find out.

The reason DKR got out when he did and why his recruiting began to suffer is that recruiting became more like a "job fair"...or better..."deal or no Deal"..So many players were getting paid that it got hard to no go along. Frank Broyles threw in the towel before Royal.

In fact , the story was that when DKR went to Earl Campbells house for his "in home" he asked Earl if he had been offered money. Earl just laughed....of course he had....but then he got real serious and told DKR...."Coach, my people were bought and sold like cattle at one time.... aint nobody buying Earl Campbell!"

Sadly, not many felt that way.

9 minutes ago, Ntx dog said:

So we're back to square one?

It sure seems like there is a leadership shortage at UT during a time when real leadership is critical. Meanwhile a university with one of the richest traditions in all of the country is becoming the butt of jokes.

2 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

The reason DKR got out when he did and why his recruiting began to suffer is that recruiting became more like a "job fair"...or better..."deal or no Deal"..So many players were getting paid that it got hard to no go along. Frank Broyles threw in the towel before Royal.

In fact , the story was that when DKR went to Earl Campbells house for his "in home" he asked Earl if he had been offered money. Earl just laughed....of course he had....but then he got real serious and told DKR...."Coach, my people were bought and sold like cattle at one time.... aint nobody buying Earl Campbell!"

Sadly, not many felt that way.

Yes, recruiting was like a job once he couldn't do it on a successful level and yes cheating was aa important factor.  However, your saying that it was the only reason and I'm saying it was the cheating and race used against DKR.

If cheating was the only factor then Fred Akers would not have had the number one recruiting class in country in 1978. That class  had the number one player in the country in AJ Jones. That class also had Donnie Little, Lawrence Sampleton and the future number one pick in the NFL draft Kenneth Sims.

Akers was able to recruit well enough that the 1983 team had the greatest defense in school history. Unfortunately, Akers personality and his lack of a successful offense over time hurt his recruiting ability

The SWC became toxic in the 1980's with the pony express and aggies and UT recruiting was hurt until the longhorns went to the Big 12.

After the 1983 season, 17 Longhorns were taken in the 1984 draft. Nine of the 11 defensive starters were drafted, and the only reason the other two weren’t (Jerry Gray & Tony DeGrate) was because they were juniors. 32 players (including redshirting freshmen) off of that roster would be drafted. Out of that number, 27 would make NFL rosters and play a total of 142 seasons in the league.

• Administrators

247 mentioned this morning Baylor is telling Texas they plan on being in Austin next weekend despite their issues with COVID.

If you missed it, Baylor won't be playing OK State this weekend so that gives them more time to focus on next weekend.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Ntx dog said:

So we're back to square one?

No, it's been reported that the meeting last night was clear and the players are expected to remain on the field for the song.

However, there's a debate going on today about whether CDC did a sufficient job of keeping the football team informed of what's expected of them since this summer, or if Herman hasn't been doing what's asked of him and staying on top of his team about it.

Other UT sports' coaches have told 247 they've known for a while what CDC expects for the school song and there haven't been any problems, but for some reason there's miscommunication/disconnect with the football team.