Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-recruiting)

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So this post has nothing to do with any UT sports, this is just me being proud of my daughter. She just got accepted into UT pharmacy school. Sorry for going off topic, but I had to brag a little. Bac

Didn't know where to put this, but here ya go. Looks like Derrian Brown on the road to recovery and at the least he could have a normal life!   

Posted Images

I looked at it this morning and since the Championship game in 2009 when Colt McCoy got hurt, Texas has a 73-58 record between 3 coaches. That’s been 10 years ago. A few nice wins in there where we all thought maybe we’re turning the corner. It was said a couple of times during this timeframe that Texas is Back. 

Mack did alot of great things at Texas but after that game it almost seems like he checked it in but instead retiring/leaving he stayed an drew a bunch of money. Mack seemed to change after that night. Stopped recruiting as hard, fired and hired a bunch of coaches. Seemed to start deflecting more blame at his assistants. Stayed 4 more years and I really think that started setting us back. A lot of rumors but I think we would have had Saban if Mack had retired. Of course they didn’t want to fire him. He’s a nice guy and done alot for the University. I’d heard they were talking to Saban while Mack was still there and it pissed him off, so at that point he wasn’t going to go quietly. This hurt us. 

So then they go out and hire Charlie Strong. He was just over his head here. Red was right.......he’s a good coordinator but you don’t hire him as your head coach at Texas. Loses to Kansas.....gone

So they go out and hire a hot young coach, supposed to be one of the best offensive minds in the country. Wins his bowl games impressively. Ok we’re about to turn the corner. Loses some that he should win. New AD comes in and let’s him change nearly all his staff. Pays up the assistants. Got an offensive coordinator so Herman can have more time to manage the whole program. Recruited 3-3-8. Herman said he got out coached again Saturday against TCU. 2 out  of 3 weeks we have gotten out physicaled. He got an extension to 2023 for alot of money. COVID hit and the athletic department lays off a bunch of people and a bunch more take pay cuts. Athletic department losing alot of money probably for the first time ever. So I guess we’ll see how the story develops. BUT this has been a long 10 years.......especially when you see a guy like Rhule come in and start kicking ass in year 2 with probably the # 30 recruiting class. It’s just been exhausting. I guess we just keep “hoping”. 

After that championship game: 

Mack Brown was 30-21

Charlie Strong was 16-21

Tom Herman is 27-16

1 hour ago, TFloss32 said:

FWIW, IT mentioned they're keeping their eyes on two potential transfers in addition to CB Kenyatta Watson II.

One wouldn't be a surprise, and the other would be a tad surprising.

Tfloss, this is no way directed towards you, but I hate this type of reporting.  All this does is get people in a state of hysteria and speculation.  

In regards to Kenyatta, I guess I don't understand the timing of this or the thought process.  Wherever he goes (D1) he will likely sit out all of next year and not play until 2022, right?  About the time he would be starting at Texas.  Difference being is he would've waited his time and been in a system he was comfortable with.  Doubt he would get a waiver to play.  Then again, it is the NCAA which is synonymous with unpredictable and makes no sense. 

1 hour ago, texbound said:

Tfloss, this is no way directed towards you, but I hate this type of reporting.  All this does is get people in a state of hysteria and speculation.  

Agree. One of the reasons I don't follow IT and OB is they are always stirring the pot. Why not wait until something occurs and report it as FACTS, not  SPECULATION. Then again, today's journalism is not based on facts but who can report something first - regardless if it is true or not. 

29 minutes ago, TexCoyote said:

Has Byron Vaughns played yet? I haven’t seen him. Was just wondering. I thought he played some last year. 

Thanks

He may have seen a few snaps, but the thing is – if he did he was not noticed. I really thought he'd be further along by now.

2 hours ago, texbound said:

In regards to Kenyatta, I guess I don't understand the timing of this or the thought process.  Wherever he goes (D1) he will likely sit out all of next year and not play until 2022, right?  About the time he would be starting at Texas.  Difference being is he would've waited his time and been in a system he was comfortable with.  Doubt he would get a waiver to play.  Then again, it is the NCAA which is synonymous with unpredictable and makes no sense. 

I'm not saying I'm taking Kenyatta's side here. But I think we can all agree that Watson had improved and shown flashes of some real talent. He had certainly earned the playing time, IMO. I see no excuse for him getting shutout of the last two games.

I hate to say it, but I think we just lost what will be a very good CB who was on his way up.

Just rewatched the game. Suprising except for QB runs defense was good

TCU got the most penaltys but Texas was hurt by thiers..Texas was realy hurt by uncalled penaltys that were out in open field.

Worse call was targeting on Mitbhell. Iowa St. had a simular call vs OU.

zTom pulled Rocshon after along run why not Ingram after two?

Everone should rewatch the game very different when not in heat of battle.

3 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I'm not saying I'm taking Kenyatta's side here. But I think we can all agree that Watson had improved and shown flashes of some real talent. He had certainly earned the playing time, IMO. I see no excuse for him getting shutout of the last two games.

I hate to say it, but I think we just lost what will be a very good CB who was on his way up.

You think maybe playing players that quit during a game had a bearing on his decision?

32 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

Speclation is thier game. Still it is news and often true.

No offense, but that is my point: 

"Speculation is their game." Speculation is not factual; it's guessing. Their may be often true, but it is speculation, not true journalism; i.e.,factual. Their primary function is being the first one with the stories; thus, drive subscribers, not report verifiable facts. 

On other note of IT, their head editor was the biggest cheerleader for hiring Herman. One of his observations was Herman expected his assistants at Cougar High go keepp their desks and offices clean in case a recruit showed up unexpectedly. He said Herman was a stickler on detail. I asked what about his coaching ability and the country club turned on me. LOL I haven't been at IT for years now,  but I wonder what are his thoughts on the guy he did cartwheels for.

Ketch - his shenanigans speak for themselves to drive subscriptions.

45 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I agree with you that losing Watson is going to hurt.  I'm just saying I don't understand the timing of it.  It's 3 games in and he is going to lose training time.  I still believe in Jamison, Thompson and Green and I thought Watson was right there.  I also believe Ash is a better evaluator of DBs than me and feel if he thought Watson was better he would play him.  I hate losing him, but it's done now.

2 hours ago, texbound said:

I agree with you that losing Watson is going to hurt.  I'm just saying I don't understand the timing of it.  It's 3 games in and he is going to lose training time.  I still believe in Jamison, Thompson and Green and I thought Watson was right there.  I also believe Ash is a better evaluator of DBs than me and feel if he thought Watson was better he would play him.  I hate losing him, but it's done now.

I've long thought Watson's ceiling was higher than Jamison, Thompson or Green.