Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-recruiting)

Seven teams that could invade the exclusive College Football Playoff for the first time in 2020

2. Texas

Like Florida, Texas is trying to live the dream of the 2000s after a decade in the wilderness. Oklahoma has been the most dominant Big 12 program not just in the playoff era but for the league's entire existence, yet any whiff of Texas potentially returning to title contention has us doing the "back" dance even though "back" has no defined target or well-entrenched set of expectations. But without a doubt, the conversations start with Oklahoma and the need not just to win the rivalry game (something Tom Herman has done) but also take care of business against the rest of the league (something Herman has not done). The Longhorns are 17-10 in Big 12 play over the last three years, and if Texas is going to make the CFP, it has to avoid bad losses. The Longhorns have fallen to an unranked conference opponent in each of Herman's three years in Austin, Texas, and it's those losses -- not necessarily one to Oklahoma -- that have to be eliminated in order for Texas to take the next step. Forget about "back." For Texas, it should be all about "forward." 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/seven-teams-that-could-invade-the-exclusive-college-football-playoff-for-the-first-time-in-2020/

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So this post has nothing to do with any UT sports, this is just me being proud of my daughter. She just got accepted into UT pharmacy school. Sorry for going off topic, but I had to brag a little. Bac

Didn't know where to put this, but here ya go. Looks like Derrian Brown on the road to recovery and at the least he could have a normal life!   

Posted Images

There is 5 key guys I'm most excited to see this first game (this year really):

1. Jordan Whittington - want to see the ball in his hands in open space

2. Jake Smith - watching some limited tape, this kid is precise in his routes, has great speed, and really good hands (not Duvernay hands, but really good)

3. Joseph Ossai - We got a preview in the Alamo Bowl, now it's time for the unveiling for this kid.  Absolute game changer on the DL.

4. Caden Sterns - A healthy Caden Sterns makes a world of difference on the back end.  Can erase a lot of lapses by the Lbs and Cbs.  Like Ossai, a game changer on defense.

5. Last, but not least, Bijan Robinson - see my comment about Whittington.  I hesitated putting him on here because i want to temper my expectations his freshman year.  My expectations were extremely high for Malcolm Brown and Jonathon Gray and while both of them were solid backs, I don't feel like either achieved my lofty expectations freshman year. Nothing on them, I just had Jamal Charles and Cedric Benson final year expectations, which wasn't fair to put on them.

Honorable Mention x2:

D'shawn Jamison - exploded out of nowhere last year and just snatched the starting CB spot.  Also made our ST return game exciting for fans and scary for opposing teams.

Demarvion Overshown - This is his time to make a name for himself.  Excited to see him on the field full-time

T'Vondre Sweat – I think this is his coming out party. Staff wants him and Coburn on the field at the same time. If so, Sweat will make hay. Coburn likely gets doubled a lot. Either way, I love what is possible in the middle for Texas. . . 

Marcus Washington – I've been told for a long time now that this kid will be a star here. This was backed up by all the noise during off-season about his play. Can't wait to see him in action.

Jared Wiley – something tells me the light is about to turn on for this guy. Have heard great things about him for some time. Some people just find the opportunities. He's one of those players.

39 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

T'Vondre Sweat – I think this is his coming out party. Staff wants him and Coburn on the field at the same time. If so, Sweat will make hay. Coburn likely gets doubled a lot. Either way, I love what is possible in the middle for Texas. . . 

Marcus Washington – I've been told for a long time now that this kid will be a star here. This was backed up by all the noise during off-season about his play. Can't wait to see him in action.

Jared Wiley – something tells me the light is about to turn on for this guy. Have heard great things about him for some time. Some people just find the opportunities. He's one of those players.

Where’s Washington on the latest depth chart?

Top 10 Heisman Trophy contenders for the college football season

2. Texas QB Sam Ehlinger: This spot depends on a Texas rebound, which seems possible but far from certain given the program’s recent history. If so, however, the combination of Ehlinger’s personality, back story and the Longhorns’ national draw would make him a formidable contender.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/top-10-heisman-trophy-contenders-for-the-college-football-season/ar-BB18PrPt?ocid=uxbndlbing

2020 College Football Playoff predictions, expert picks, most overrated and underrated teams

Texas: Really? We're doing this again? The notion that "Texas is back" has been a running joke since the Longhorns topped Notre Dame in double overtime in 2016. Suddenly, this is going to be the season? Nah. Not buying it. Sure, Sam Ehlinger is a fantastic quarterback and has experience on his side. But losing wide receivers Devin Duvernay and Colin Johnson is a big deal -- especially considering the disjointed offseason that has limited 7-on-7 work. Is the defense going to improve upon the 6.1 yards per play that it allowed last season? Probably. Experience is on Texas' side there. But I don't have the confidence that it will take enough of a step forward to slow down the high-octane offenses that it will be playing in the Big 12. I'll have to see it before I believe it. After all, shouldn't that be everybody's opinion toward Texas? -- Sallee

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2020-college-football-playoff-predictions-expert-picks-most-overrated-and-underrated-teams/

Breaking down the 11 real College Football Playoff title contenders for the 2020 season

Traditional powers

Florida State, Texas: Scoff all you want, but these two belong on this list. That doesn't mean I'm naive enough to think either will win the national title in 2020, but they have the pedigree. That's a lot more than any other school not on this list can say. Both have talented rosters, and should things click, they are capable of making plenty of noise. Of the two, I think Texas has a better chance in 2020 due to having a senior quarterback, a coach entering his fourth season rather than a third coach in three years, and an easier path to the Big 12 Championship Game

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2020-college-football-playoff-predictions-expert-picks-most-overrated-and-underrated-teams/

Ranking the Top 50 College Football Players for the 2020 Season

11. QB Sam Ehlinger, Texas

Ehlinger has 8,870 passing yards, 1,526 rushing yards and 93 total touchdowns in his three seasons at Texas. He led the Big 12 with 32 touchdown passes last year and logged personal bests in yards (3,663), completion percentage (65.2) and efficiency rating (151.8). He threw for 201 yards and three touchdowns and added 73 rushing yards and another score in the Longhorns' Alamo Bowl win over Utah.

18. OT Samuel Cosmi, Texas

A preseason second-team All-American who has 26 career starts under his belt entering his junior season, Cosmi is unquestionably one of the nation's elite offensive linemen. At 6'7" and 309 pounds, he's a mountain up front, and he'll once again be tasked with protecting Sam Ehlinger's blind side. He should push Alex Leatherwood for the title of top offensive tackle in college football this season.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2908159-ranking-the-top-50-college-football-players-for-the-2020-season