Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-recruiting)

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So this post has nothing to do with any UT sports, this is just me being proud of my daughter. She just got accepted into UT pharmacy school. Sorry for going off topic, but I had to brag a little. Bac

Didn't know where to put this, but here ya go. Looks like Derrian Brown on the road to recovery and at the least he could have a normal life!   

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Eastexhorn said:

Maybe team will get the breaks and win big this year. If not the search for next DKR will be on. Of the ten coaches I can remember he is head and shoulders above the rest.

DKR coached like every game was his last. He often talked about the sleep he never got, some of those hours lost to work and some lost to nerves. It took its toll on him. When he realized how the game was changing (OU's cheating), I think he lost that drive he had so many years. Cheating is something he just couldn't do, thus he would not compete that way.

He was an excellent spokesman for not just UT, but Texas in general. 

16 hours ago, Texas2725 said:

LHN isn't going to allow the kids to make real $.  LHN was to be added exposure, or perceived that way, but in reality it's not much different.  Having the platform, city, and backing of your athletic dept to monetize your likeness is on a completely different stratosphere and a HUGE advantage that Tom is taking advantage of as he should.  It will truly allow Texas to separate itself due to the factors mentioned.

And you mentioned how LHN added all kinds of extra duties for Mack and was bad so I concluded you felt the same would happen to Herman.  He's doing a great job of leveraging it in my opinion.

The biggest gripe from other schools when the LHN started emerging was it would tilt the scale in recruiting.  That was when they were discussing having High School games on it.  The LHN may not make the players money but it makes the school a bunch of money and the Coaches have to Pay a lot of attention to it.  

I worry about the players worrying more about making money off their name (as a distraction) instead of focusing more on the season and games.  It will be a huge distraction if allowed to be.  Don’t kid yourself either, Texas isn’t the only one promoting something like this

9 hours ago, Drb522 said:

The biggest gripe from other schools when the LHN started emerging was it would tilt the scale in recruiting.  That was when they were discussing having High School games on it.  The LHN may not make the players money but it makes the school a bunch of money and the Coaches have to Pay a lot of attention to it.  

I worry about the players worrying more about making money off their name (as a distraction) instead of focusing more on the season and games.  It will be a huge distraction if allowed to be.  Don’t kid yourself either, Texas isn’t the only one promoting something like this

Totally agree and would be shocked if other schools didn’t promote it.  I do think we’re doing it well.

35 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

I belive opting out still counts to the 85. If so no ships.

Yes, it still counts and they will get an extra year of eligibility, which is the security blanket this decision provides.

With the way Texas has handled things, I'd feel very confident right now but not everybody sees it that way.

33 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

I belive opting out still counts to the 85. If so no ships.

If the NCAA is going to let seniors come back for an additional year, I'd think there has to be some adjustment made to the scholarship limits to accommodate those opting out. I may certainly be wrong but it makes too much sense not to happen.

29 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Yes, it still counts and they will get an extra year of eligibility, which is the security blanket this decision provides.

With the way Texas has handled things, I'd feel very confident right now but not everybody sees it that way.

With Omiere injured, Harrison opting out, and Lewis apparently leaning that way, the depth chart pickup of Schooler is looking very smart right now.  Black, Eagles, Smith, Whittington, Moore, Washington, Schooler, Woodard and Dixon is plenty deep and talented.

Not Texas related, but I have question that I'm sure someone here smarter than me can answer.  Why and how was JT Daniels granted immediate playing time as a transfer?  Did he graduate early?  I know he is a RS Soph.  Just curious on the reasoning behind granting him immediate playing time.  Thanks in advance.

43 minutes ago, texbound said:

Not Texas related, but I have question that I'm sure someone here smarter than me can answer.  Why and how was JT Daniels granted immediate playing time as a transfer?  Did he graduate early?  I know he is a RS Soph.  Just curious on the reasoning behind granting him immediate playing time.  Thanks in advance.

I'm not smarter than you and I don't know the answer to your question. . . just in case you were wondering . . . lol

Maybe he got a waiver from the NCAA is my best guess. I know he applied for one at some point.

2 hours ago, NEOkHorn said:

If the NCAA is going to let seniors come back for an additional year, I'd think there has to be some adjustment made to the scholarship limits to accommodate those opting out. I may certainly be wrong but it makes too much sense not to happen.

Oh they have to. And its going to create a logjam for playing time.

16 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I'm not smarter than you and I don't know the answer to your question. . . just in case you were wondering . . . lol

Maybe he got a waiver from the NCAA is my best guess. I know he applied for one at some point.

Thanks SHA. Just curious on what his reasoning was for a waiver and why the NCAA granted it.  Seems a little odd.

2 hours ago, texbound said:

It was thought at the time that Daniels would have to sit out the 2020 campaign.  Instead, the player announced via Twitter that he has been granted immediate eligibility by the NCAA.  That will leave the signal-caller with three years of eligibility to use with the Bulldogs.

“Thank you to the NCAA for granting me immediate eligibility and allowing me to play football this fall,” Daniels wrote. “I will not comment on the waiver or transfer, but look forward to a great 2020 season with my teammates.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/usc-transfer-qb-jt-daniels-granted-immediate-eligibility-at-georgia/ar-BB16GoJh

1 hour ago, primal defense said:

It was thought at the time that Daniels would have to sit out the 2020 campaign.  Instead, the player announced via Twitter that he has been granted immediate eligibility by the NCAA.  That will leave the signal-caller with three years of eligibility to use with the Bulldogs.

“Thank you to the NCAA for granting me immediate eligibility and allowing me to play football this fall,” Daniels wrote. “I will not comment on the waiver or transfer, but look forward to a great 2020 season with my teammates.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/usc-transfer-qb-jt-daniels-granted-immediate-eligibility-at-georgia/ar-BB16GoJh

The NCAA is a complete joke.  That is absurd.  "I will not comment on the waiver or transfer"....translation, i had some strings pulled and bypassed the system, imo.  Then they (NCAA) shouldn't deny anyone from getting immediate eligibility.  Highly doubt UGA was a hardship for Daniels who needed to be by family or something like that.  

The NCAA's "mitigating circumstances" clause regarding transfers' eligibility, a rule that allows transfers to play immediately if they leave their school for circumstances that "directly impact the health, safety and well-being of the student-athlete." 

I guess JT's health, safety or well-being was directly impacted at USC.