Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Baron

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-recruiting)

O.B. says we bought face shields for virus protection that attach to the helmet and OU has masks that attach to the helmet. I would think the masks would restrict the air flow and be hotter. I like our choice. Hope the players do, too. 

CDC email

Dear Mike,

Lately, one of my favorite sayings is, “Want to make God laugh? Make a plan.” Since mid-March, much of 2020 has been full of plans and changed plans and more plans and more changed plans. To say this year has brought new and unique challenges would be a massive understatement. All of us have been impacted in some way, big and small, by this global pandemic. But if there’s one thing I am confident of, it’s that Longhorn Nation’s collective Texas Fight will lead us through this difficult time.

Since becoming your Vice President and Director of Athletics in December of 2017, I have said that a United Texas is a reckoning. When we pull together, we are a powerful force capable of accomplishing anything. When we galvanize as one, we personify pride, passion and spirit unparalleled by any other university.

Longhorn Nation has played a critical role in building Texas Athletics into one of the nation’s most revered brands in college sports with a rich tradition and an illustrious history of success that garners recognition we are extremely proud of. That is something that was built and is sustained by you – the biggest, best and most passionate fan base in the country. And, we are so grateful for all you’ve done and are doing to help us thrive.

Throughout this pandemic, our staff has constantly studied, monitored and planned out how to move forward with athletics activities, practices and competitions, while ensuring that our coaches, student-athletes, staff and fans are as safe as possible. First and foremost, the safety of every member in our Longhorn family is our top priority. We have worked closely with state and university officials, as well as medical professionals, on any and every possible scenario that our fall sports teams may face. We have embraced the mantra of controlling what we can control and focusing on realistic and sustainable guidelines and procedures that can bring us success. I am proud of the diligent and tireless effort our staff has put into finding so many positive ways to move forward so that we all can return to the Forty Acres safely this fall.

To work through the financial position COVID-19 has put us in, we will be operating on a budget during the upcoming 2020-21 athletics year that is far below previous years standards of excellence. As always, your continued financial support is vital to our overall operation. I know it’s difficult in these challenging times, and I do realize none of us can predict what the next month or day or sometimes hour may bring. But I am asking you to stay with us so that we can move forward while providing our nearly 600 student-athletes with the opportunities, experiences and resources that we pride ourselves in delivering. We need you to help Texas Athletics with the support that allows us to compete on a championship level in each and every sport and in all that we provide for our coaches, student-athletes, staff and teams. You are the wind beneath our wings, and we appreciate you so much!

I firmly believe that we can come out of this health crisis stronger, but we cannot do it without you. During the month of August, members of our staff will be reaching out to every one of you. Your support is what makes Texas Athletics possible, but we realize that the pandemic has created uncertainty around attending live events, and we recognize that some of you may not be comfortable using your tickets. Since you are such a crucial piece of everything we do, we’re adjusting our standard no-refund policy and offering you the ability to convert your 2020 Texas Football payment into a credit for 2021 or you can request a full refund. The 2020 payment includes your season tickets, seat-related gifts, parking, away game tickets (including Texas-OU) and chairbacks. Rest assured that next year, regardless of the decision you make on your 2020 commitment, you will have the opportunity to renew the same season tickets you are used to sitting in and your loyalty points status will not be affected.

However, I need to ask you openly, honestly and very humbly that, when a staff member calls you in the coming days (over the next week or so), you consider our request to leave all or some of your 2020 Texas Football payment with us as a 100% tax-deductible gift. If you leave all of your payment with Texas Athletics, you will receive triple loyalty points in 2020 (15 points for every $100). If you leave some of your payment with us, you will receive double loyalty points in 2020 (10 points for every $100). If you just can’t swing it, need to opt out of your football tickets this year, or know you will not purchase tickets or attend in-person events, I am asking that you renew your Longhorn Foundation membership at a level that is financially feasible for you right now or to make a donation to Texas Athletics in any amount you can. Your financial pledges are what will make it possible for our many student-athletes and teams to continue to compete and for all of us to return to the Forty Acres to cheer them on.

Longhorn Nation, we love and appreciate you so much and are beyond thankful for your pride, passion and support. We are grateful for your patience and understanding during this unprecedented and ever-changing time, as well. But I do know that a United Texas is a reckoning. Now, more than ever, is a critical time for us to unify, come together and rally as one big family. Like any successful team, we can do this together, and I hope we can count you in!

Chris Del Conte signature
Chris Del Conte
Vice President and Director of Athletics

13 hours ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

CDC email

Dear Mike,

Lately, one of my favorite sayings is, “Want to make God laugh? Make a plan.” Since mid-March, much of 2020 has been full of plans and changed plans and more plans and more changed plans. To say this year has brought new and unique challenges would be a massive understatement. All of us have been impacted in some way, big and small, by this global pandemic. But if there’s one thing I am confident of, it’s that Longhorn Nation’s collective Texas Fight will lead us through this difficult time.

Since becoming your Vice President and Director of Athletics in December of 2017, I have said that a United Texas is a reckoning. When we pull together, we are a powerful force capable of accomplishing anything. When we galvanize as one, we personify pride, passion and spirit unparalleled by any other university.

Longhorn Nation has played a critical role in building Texas Athletics into one of the nation’s most revered brands in college sports with a rich tradition and an illustrious history of success that garners recognition we are extremely proud of. That is something that was built and is sustained by you – the biggest, best and most passionate fan base in the country. And, we are so grateful for all you’ve done and are doing to help us thrive.

Throughout this pandemic, our staff has constantly studied, monitored and planned out how to move forward with athletics activities, practices and competitions, while ensuring that our coaches, student-athletes, staff and fans are as safe as possible. First and foremost, the safety of every member in our Longhorn family is our top priority. We have worked closely with state and university officials, as well as medical professionals, on any and every possible scenario that our fall sports teams may face. We have embraced the mantra of controlling what we can control and focusing on realistic and sustainable guidelines and procedures that can bring us success. I am proud of the diligent and tireless effort our staff has put into finding so many positive ways to move forward so that we all can return to the Forty Acres safely this fall.

To work through the financial position COVID-19 has put us in, we will be operating on a budget during the upcoming 2020-21 athletics year that is far below previous years standards of excellence. As always, your continued financial support is vital to our overall operation. I know it’s difficult in these challenging times, and I do realize none of us can predict what the next month or day or sometimes hour may bring. But I am asking you to stay with us so that we can move forward while providing our nearly 600 student-athletes with the opportunities, experiences and resources that we pride ourselves in delivering. We need you to help Texas Athletics with the support that allows us to compete on a championship level in each and every sport and in all that we provide for our coaches, student-athletes, staff and teams. You are the wind beneath our wings, and we appreciate you so much!

I firmly believe that we can come out of this health crisis stronger, but we cannot do it without you. During the month of August, members of our staff will be reaching out to every one of you. Your support is what makes Texas Athletics possible, but we realize that the pandemic has created uncertainty around attending live events, and we recognize that some of you may not be comfortable using your tickets. Since you are such a crucial piece of everything we do, we’re adjusting our standard no-refund policy and offering you the ability to convert your 2020 Texas Football payment into a credit for 2021 or you can request a full refund. The 2020 payment includes your season tickets, seat-related gifts, parking, away game tickets (including Texas-OU) and chairbacks. Rest assured that next year, regardless of the decision you make on your 2020 commitment, you will have the opportunity to renew the same season tickets you are used to sitting in and your loyalty points status will not be affected.

However, I need to ask you openly, honestly and very humbly that, when a staff member calls you in the coming days (over the next week or so), you consider our request to leave all or some of your 2020 Texas Football payment with us as a 100% tax-deductible gift. If you leave all of your payment with Texas Athletics, you will receive triple loyalty points in 2020 (15 points for every $100). If you leave some of your payment with us, you will receive double loyalty points in 2020 (10 points for every $100). If you just can’t swing it, need to opt out of your football tickets this year, or know you will not purchase tickets or attend in-person events, I am asking that you renew your Longhorn Foundation membership at a level that is financially feasible for you right now or to make a donation to Texas Athletics in any amount you can. Your financial pledges are what will make it possible for our many student-athletes and teams to continue to compete and for all of us to return to the Forty Acres to cheer them on.

Longhorn Nation, we love and appreciate you so much and are beyond thankful for your pride, passion and support. We are grateful for your patience and understanding during this unprecedented and ever-changing time, as well. But I do know that a United Texas is a reckoning. Now, more than ever, is a critical time for us to unify, come together and rally as one big family. Like any successful team, we can do this together, and I hope we can count you in!

Chris Del Conte signature
Chris Del Conte
Vice President and Director of Athletics

I got the same email, smells like desperation. If one of the richest universities in the U.S. is "begging" for money, makes you wonder how the rest are doing?

Times are hard for a lot of people, can't blame them for wanting to keep their money.

It sounds like TCU has some inner-tribal trouble brewing. Whoever "Coach P" is, whether that is likely Gary Patterson or possibly safeties coach Paul Gonzales – one of the two has been called out on Twitter by apparently a former player. Its been re-tweeted by other TCU players.

"I can’t believe I was apart of a team and university that allows a person to be in a position of power and to say “Nigger” in front of his players. Coach P needs to make a public apology and take responsibility for what he has done and face consequences. TCU needs huge change."

— Niko 🤘🏼 (@WhatTheFreako) August 3, 2020