Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-recruiting)


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, primal defense said:

 

The University of Texas Changed My Life. Now I Want to Change Its Racist Traditions.

 

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/university-texas-changed-life-now-160700017.html

Now I'm really confused. If no whites knew that the song was racist, how can singing it in tribute to the school we all love be racism? There is no intent to demean blacks, but only to honor our university. We stand with the black students and Asian and Latino as well when we all sing together and show our unity. 

As Sanya said, it is like an anthem. How in the world would eliminating something so revered advance your cause? IMHO, it would have a negative effect. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So this post has nothing to do with any UT sports, this is just me being proud of my daughter. She just got accepted into UT pharmacy school. Sorry for going off topic, but I had to brag a little. Bac

Didn't know where to put this, but here ya go. Looks like Derrian Brown on the road to recovery and at the least he could have a normal life!   

Posted Images

https://www.texasexes.org/about-us/history-and-traditions/eyes-texas
 

I read the article. I read what R. E. Lee said. I read what the original song was, and honestly, except for the fact that the original song and The Eyes are both set to I’ve been Working on the Railroad, there is virtually no resemblance except The Eyes of Texas are Upon You.  C’mon, for so much to be made about a song that has two lines in common with the original, and means so much to so very many, many people who have also played, sweat, given of their heart and soul, given money when they had it, their time and energy, their sons and daughters to The University and never been racist. Why throw the baby out with the bath water?

It sounds like the players don’t want to be forced to sing it.  They shouldn’t have to.  I do think that they should acknowledge the fans, win or lose.  They don’t have to sing, and there should be no pressure on those who want to sing it or not, by anyone-fans or otherwise.

Just my 2 cents.

Hook em!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, UTfish said:

Now I'm really confused. If no whites knew that the song was racist, how can singing it in tribute to the school we all love be racism? There is no intent to demean blacks, but only to honor our university. We stand with the black students and Asian and Latino as well when we all sing together and show our unity. 

As Sanya said, it is like an anthem. How in the world would eliminating something so revered advance your cause? IMHO, it would have a negative effect. 

 

Just the mention of removing TEOT has had a negative effect. It seems all the other demands aren't important. TEOT has become the focal point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, UTfish said:

Now I'm really confused. If no whites knew that the song was racist, how can singing it in tribute to the school we all love be racism? There is no intent to demean blacks, but only to honor our university. We stand with the black students and Asian and Latino as well when we all sing together and show our unity. 

As Sanya said, it is like an anthem. How in the world would eliminating something so revered advance your cause? IMHO, it would have a negative effect. 

 

How can I double like this?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Baron said:

Just the mention of removing TEOT has had a negative effect. It seems all the other demands aren't important. TEOT has become the focal point.

It must be because it is important to us!

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, UTfish said:

Now I'm really confused. If no whites knew that the song was racist, how can singing it in tribute to the school we all love be racism? There is no intent to demean blacks, but only to honor our university. We stand with the black students and Asian and Latino as well when we all sing together and show our unity. 

As Sanya said, it is like an anthem. How in the world would eliminating something so revered advance your cause? IMHO, it would have a negative effect. 

 

Fish, if they cave and change the song, it’s going to make me very angry. It’s going too far. The song isn’t racist. 

Students didn’t know how to write a song, so they took a melody they liked, I’ve been Working on the Railroad, a part of a phrase they liked, The Eyes of...

Then, they filled in the rest.

So, someone explain to me what part of our current song is racist?  Unless I’ve been Working on the Railroad is racist, that is. Is it?

So please, explain to me how I’ve been Working on the Railroad is racist?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, java said:

https://www.texasexes.org/about-us/history-and-traditions/eyes-texas
 

I read the article. I read what R. E. Lee said. I read what the original song was, and honestly, except for the fact that the original song and The Eyes are both set to I’ve been Working on the Railroad, there is virtually no resemblance except The Eyes of Texas are Upon You.  C’mon, for so much to be made about a song that has two lines in common with the original, and means so much to so very many, many people who have also played, sweat, given of their heart and soul, given money when they had it, their time and energy, their sons and daughters to The University and never been racist. Why throw the baby out with the bath water?

It sounds like the players don’t want to be forced to sing it.  They shouldn’t have to.  I do think that they should acknowledge the fans, win or lose.  They don’t have to sing, and there should be no pressure on those who want to sing it or not, by anyone-fans or otherwise.

Just my 2 cents.

Hook em!

 

 

only the title is the same?.... sounds to me like it was already changed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Week
    Opponent
    W/L
    9/12
    UTEP
    W 59-3
    9/26
    @Texas Tech
    W 63-56 (OT)
    10/3
    TCU
    L 31-33
    10/10
    Oklahoma
    L 45-53 (4OT)
    10/24
    Baylor
    W 27-16
    10/31
    @Oklahoma State
    W 41-34 (OT)
    11/7
    West Virginia
    W 17-13
    11/21
    @Kansas
    11/28
    Iowa State
    12/5
    @Kansas State

Our Affiliation

USATDP_Logo.png

Quick Links

Home
Forums
News
Store

Quick Links

Football
Men's Basketball
Baseball
More Sports

Quick Links

×
×
  • Create New...