Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-recruiting)

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So this post has nothing to do with any UT sports, this is just me being proud of my daughter. She just got accepted into UT pharmacy school. Sorry for going off topic, but I had to brag a little. Bac

Didn't know where to put this, but here ya go. Looks like Derrian Brown on the road to recovery and at the least he could have a normal life!   

Posted Images

9 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

speaking of ventalators...In SA they are not using them....they are instead running the blood through oxygenators which work faster and much,much better to help the sick folks.They said the ventalators were causing damage to already compromised lungs...

ECMO

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/04/14/coronavirus-heart-lung-bypass/

All of a sudden there should be no talk of politics which didn't seem to be a problem until I posted on how Trump did nothing and still continues to do nothing which is affecting the UT football season.  

Unfortunately, politics has become part of UT football. First with the murder of George Floyd by police and the aftermath of the Eyes of Texas and now Covid 19 is the biggest threat to a UT football season in my lifetime. I agree that this board should be politics free unless it effects UT sports.

Here's another article on the timeline that Trump wasted time to make the Covid 19 for the USA the worst in the world for those who say it's not Trump's fault and shit happens or is just trying to gaslight this situation.

A DETAILED TIMELINE OF ALL THE WAYS TRUMP FAILED TO RESPOND TO THE CORONAVIRUS

https://www.vox.com/2020/6/8/21242003/trump-failed-coronavirus-response

With all due respect, PD, I agree that this board should be politics free.  I doubt that anyone's political views will be altered by anything on this board. 

I'm here hoping to find good news about the University of  Texas and the team we love. There's ample opportunity to vent your political anger outside this board. Here, we need to stick together and focus our anger on OU sucks Okie lite and other B12 vermin. 

Hook'em 

On 7/8/2020 at 10:35 AM, primal defense said:

All of a sudden there should be no talk of politics which didn't seem to be a problem until I posted on how Trump did nothing and still continues to do nothing which is affecting the UT football season.  

Unfortunately, politics has become part of UT football. First with the murder of George Floyd by police and the aftermath of the Eyes of Texas and now Covid 19 is the biggest threat to a UT football season in my lifetime. I agree that this board should be politics free unless it effects UT sports.

Here's another article on the timeline that Trump wasted time to make the Covid 19 for the USA the worst in the world for those who say it's not Trump's fault and shit happens or is just trying to gaslight this situation.

A DETAILED TIMELINE OF ALL THE WAYS TRUMP FAILED TO RESPOND TO THE CORONAVIRUS

https://www.vox.com/2020/6/8/21242003/trump-failed-coronavirus-response

The virus started in China sometime in November, 2019 and was reported to the World Health Organization on 12/31/2019.  01/13/20 first confirmed case in Thailand; 01/15/20 first confirmed case in Japan; 01/20/20 first confirmed case in South Korea; 01/21/20 - first confirmed case in the US (the patient contracted the virus in Wuhan, traveled back to the US and was diagnosed here). On 01/22/20 WHO declared that COVID wasn't a global health emergency since there was no evidence to human to human transmission outside of China despite confirmed cases in Thailand, Japan and South Korea.  01/24/20 Anthony Fauci, head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, comments that "We don't want the American public to be worried about this because their risk is low".  First confirmed cases in Europe reported on 01/24/20. 01/30/20 WHO FINALLY declares COVID to be a global health emergency.  01/31/20 President Trump declares COVID a national public health emergency.  02/21/20 Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the CDC's National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, told reporters that U.S. health officials were preparing for the coronavirus to become a pandemic. "We're not seeing community spread here in the United States, yet, but it’s very possible, even likely, that it may eventually happen".  Trying to put dates on the CDC's screw-ups would take more time than I want to spend right now but...  WHO had reliable testing kits available that the CDC declined to use because they were developing their own which created a delay in Americans being tested.  The CDC test kits had to be approved by the FDA which caused a delay.  The CDC kits were released in small numbers and, according to CDC guidelines, were earmarked for symptomatic patients (closing the barn door after the horses are already out?).  The CDC kits have to be recalled because they are unreliable creating further delays.  We were/are behind in testing because we didn't start early enough because through ego or ignorance someone decided that they could make a better homegrown test than the one that was available and, for the most part, reliable.  Without proper testing it's hard to determine which areas are at risk and to plan on how best to contain the spread. 

COVID is a global pandemic and the mistakes and missteps made in handling it have been global as well and laying our current state at the foot of one politician is beyond ridiculous, it's short-sighted and looks/smells like political bias.  Reporting and reacting to the virus was a mess from the start and there's plenty of "blame" to go around here and abroad.  No one was prepared for this including the organizations who exist primarily for the purpose of preparing for, identifying, containing and mitigating contagious disease.  Has Trump handled this well...yes & no...but find me a politician who has.  Political infighting and partisan politics have been part of the problem from the beginning (on just about every issue).  I can go online and find all the "facts" that I need to prove that our current state is the fault of one person, party, country etc.. but it's a waste of time because, IMHO, it's not the whole truth.  I'm going with Occam's Razor...the simplest explanation that will account for a circumstance or event is most likely the correct explanation... the simplest explanation is that no one knew how serious this was and no one was really prepared for a global pandemic, we all got caught with our pants down.

• Administrators

Inevitably some of the discussion around sports and the current state of the world will involve/incorporate politics.  What we won't allow on this board is personal attacks or name-calling.  There's certainly a way to share your thoughts and information without degrading another poster.  This isn't directed toward one or several posters, but everyone on the board.  We're a good board and let's keep it that way!  

Thanks to all

19 hours ago, Aaron Carrara said:

Inevitably some of the discussion around sports and the current state of the world will involve/incorporate politics.  What we won't allow on this board is personal attacks or name-calling.  There's certainly a way to share your thoughts and information without degrading another poster.  This isn't directed toward one or several posters, but everyone on the board.  We're a good board and let's keep it that way!  

Thanks to all

I guess the wife can still call me stupid anytime she wants to, right?

No Big 10 football OOC games this year. Pac 12 will announce soon after.

ACC has vowed to help out Notre Dame, who could be left with six games on its schedule.

Also in trouble is Aggy, who routinely uses the powder puff OOC slate to pad their schedule/wins. With the Briles offense in Arkiesaw and The Pirate taking over in Starkville, aggy could be left with a one or two win season possibly.

Big Ten to Play Conference-Only Football Schedule in Fall of 2020; Pac-12 Reportedly Expected to Follow Suit

The Big Ten conference announced on Thursday that it will play a conference-only football schedule in the fall of 2020. The conference-only season will be 10 games, according to Sports Illustrated's Pat Forde.

As long as it is safe to do so, this decision will apply to all fall sports, the conference said in a press release.

According to ESPN, if college football can be played this fall, Big Ten administrations preferred to play a conference-only schedule to eliminate some long-distance travel and help ensure teams are being tested for COVID-19 universally. 

"In addition, the Conference announced that summer athletic activities will continue to be voluntary in all sports currently permitted to engage in such activities.

"In addition, the Conference announced that summer athletic activities will continue to be voluntary in all sports currently permitted to engage in such activities," the Big Ten said in a statement. "Furthermore, Big Ten student-athletes who choose not to participate in intercollegiate athletics at any time during the summer and/or the 2020-21 academic year due to concerns about COVID-19 will continue to have their scholarship honored by their institution and will remain in good standing with their team."

On a Thursday teleconference with reporters, Ohio State AD Gene Smith said he is no longer "cautiously optimistic" about a football season being held this fall.

The decision comes as a recent spike in coronavirus cases in various parts of the United States have created a new set of hurdles to the 2020 college football season.

The Big Ten also said participation in workouts and other activities this summer will continue to be voluntary. Players can also opt-out of participating in the fall sports season without losing their scholarships or risking their good standing with their program.

Earlier Thursday, the ACC announced that each of its fall sports will delay the start of competition until at least Sept. 1.

The Pac-12 is expected to go to conference-only scheduling in the coming days as well, according to The Athletic's Nicole Auerbach. According to Stadium's Brett McMurphy, ACC football is also expected to play conference-only games. Per McMurphy, if Power 5 schools played conference-only schedules then the ACC would assist Notre Dame with as many games as it needed. According to The Athletic's Bruce Feldman, ACC coaches have been told of a conference-only games plan, though, the coaches have not yet been told it’s definite.

On Wednesday, the Ivy League announced that it will play no varsity sports for the rest of the calendar year, and it appears it might try and move fall sports to the spring of 2021.

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby has previously described the latest spikes as 

“detrimental” to the process.

“Until two weeks ago, everybody felt pretty good about starting on time on Sept. 5 and Aug. 29,” West Virginia athletic director Shane Lyons, the chair of an important law-making NCAA body, the Football Oversight Committee, told Sports Illustrated's Pat Forde and Ross Dellenger. “The last two weeks have really put a wet blanket on that, and we’re saying, ‘Maybe that’s not going to happen.’”

According to Sports Illustrated's Ross Dellenger, SEC football coaches held their weekly conference call Thursday morning with league officials and currently have no change in practice or game plans.

Some of the notable Big Ten football matchups that will be altered with this schedule change are Ohio State at Oregon, Penn State at Virginia Tech, Michigan at Washington and Notre Dame at Wisconsin, which was scheduled to take place at Lambeau Field in Green Bay.

I spoke to an MD today about ECMO because I was interested. I was told that the the fatality rate was extremely high. Not only is the procedure itself high risk, but it is used as the measure of last resort.

The following is some information on it:

https://www.healthleadersmedia.com/clinical-care/ecmo-life-support-last-ditch-intervention-coronavirus-patients