Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Baron

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-recruiting)

Demarvion Overshown stated today he refuses to participate in any athletic activities until "changes are made."

Okay, execute Plan B.

And are you able to keep a student-athlete on scholarship if they refuse to participate?

He cited a WNBA star as an example. Said star was already proven on the court and could basically call her shot as far as jobs go. Thats just not Overshown. Sit out a year, it will cost him.

3 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Demarvion Overshown stated today he refuses to participate in any athletic activities until "changes are made."

Okay, execute Plan B.

And are you able to keep a student-athlete on scholarship if they refuse to participate?

He cited a WNBA star as an example. Said star was already proven on the court and could basically call her shot as far as jobs go. Thats just not Overshown. Sit out a year, it will cost him.

I’d say pull the scholarship. Whatever CDC decides to do it is never going to be good enough. Let them transfer, but I’ll guess no school is going to be perfect. I am to the point I don’t care if they shut the crap down. I already could care less about the NBA and NFL. Pretty good college education to walk away from. My parents couldn’t offer to pay that for me to go to college and if I was a good enough athlete to get it for free.........I would damn sure play 

2 minutes ago, TexCoyote said:

I’d say pull the scholarship. Whatever CDC decides to do it is never going to be good enough. Let them transfer, but I’ll guess no school is going to be perfect. I am to the point I don’t care if they shut the crap down. I already could care less about the NBA and NFL. Pretty good college education to walk away from. My parents couldn’t offer to pay that for me to go to college and if I was a good enough athlete to get it for free.........I would damn sure play 

Well, its much more difficult to make a statement sitting in the stands than it would be otherwise for him.

If he played, he could end every interview with "UT needs to change ____ (whatever it is). Until then, we have a problem" or some such. I bet that would be much more effective.

Come on guys... you really think pulling Overshown’s scholly is the right move?? Especially after Herman said they should use their platforms for change and he had their “fronts”?? I would wager if they pulled DO scholly, they would risk losing a lot of the locker room. So what happens after that?? We lose 5 or more games again because a lot of our best players don’t play. Then what?? We keep Herman because we can’t blame him for losing with players not playing? And we are hoping players change their tone. Or do we think the HS recruits, like Milroe who’s seen wearing a BLM shirt, will still want to play for a school who pulled a scholarship after the HC said he would back them?? I don’t think a lot of these recruits would be here after that. Transfer portal will be lit. So then what?? We likely have to find another head coach because we are gonna be losing. So we have to pay a lot buyouts. Burn down the football program to show some kids they don’t have any say or power?? That will show them. I mean it’s only been a few weeks right?? It doesn’t take that long to take some statues down if that’s what they intend on doing. That’s a small step to show good cause. Or maybe have a few players in representing the athletic programs so that they could see they are operating in good faith. But nope, closed door meetings and no show of support. I hate seeing Overshown sit out but a mans gotta have a code. So I respect him for his sacrifice. 

24 minutes ago, hornsups said:

Come on guys... you really think pulling Overshown’s scholly is the right move?? Especially after Herman said they should use their platforms for change and he had their “fronts”?? I would wager if they pulled DO scholly, they would risk losing a lot of the locker room. So what happens after that?? We lose 5 or more games again because a lot of our best players don’t play. Then what?? We keep Herman because we can’t blame him for losing with players not playing? And we are hoping players change their tone. Or do we think the HS recruits, like Milroe who’s seen wearing a BLM shirt, will still want to play for a school who pulled a scholarship after the HC said he would back them?? I don’t think a lot of these recruits would be here after that. Transfer portal will be lit. So then what?? We likely have to find another head coach because we are gonna be losing. So we have to pay a lot buyouts. Burn down the football program to show some kids they don’t have any say or power?? That will show them. I mean it’s only been a few weeks right?? It doesn’t take that long to take some statues down if that’s what they intend on doing. That’s a small step to show good cause. Or maybe have a few players in representing the athletic programs so that they could see they are operating in good faith. But nope, closed door meetings and no show of support. I hate seeing Overshown sit out but a mans gotta have a code. So I respect him for his sacrifice. 

Perhaps a little patience and asking questions behind closed doors, instead of issuing a public demand. UT is very liberal and progressive. I'm sure things are happening just not publicly at this time.

1 hour ago, hornsups said:

I don't think anyone is advocating pulling a scholarship. I noted this because you must participate in order to maintain your scholarship. Everybody has to follow the same rule.

So why must an exception be made for Overshown? What makes him special as opposed to everyone else?

Simply make Overshown aware that in order to maintain eligibility for his scholarship, he'll have to consider a different way of protesting.

As for your other questions, if they don't want to follow the rules like everybody else, then perhaps its best they move on. I don't care if we end up 0-10. Otherwise, what's next? Because there most definitely will be a next. And a next. And another next.

I truly hope Overshown had a conversation with TH before going public with this.

In the end, we may all respect OVershown for sacrificing his career or perhaps part of his career to make a stand. But he will lose something to gain something. Thats too bad because it could have been done differently with a little more thought.

12 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I don't think anyone is advocating pulling a scholarship. I noted this because you must participate in order to maintain your scholarship. Everybody has to follow the same rule.

So why must an exception be made for Overshown? What makes him special as opposed to everyone else?

Simply make Overshown aware that in order to maintain eligibility for his scholarship, he'll have to consider a different way of protesting.

As for your other questions, if they don't want to follow the rules like everybody else, then perhaps its best they move on. I don't care if we end up 0-10. Otherwise, what's next? Because there most definitely will be a next. And a next. And another next.

I truly hope Overshown had a conversation with TH before going public with this.

In the end, we may all respect OVershown for sacrificing his career or perhaps part of his career to make a stand. But he will lose something to gain something. Thats too bad because it could have been done differently with a little more thought.

Ok you can make him aware of that and again I ask?? What’s to prevent other players from doing the same or leaving?? You know what I wouldn’t mind UT going 0–10 for ever if it meant the players took a stand for something this important. It’s a little disingenuous to say there will be a next and a next and a next. Maybe there’s a next but if the next is something important.. should it matter?? Do you know what they will be willing to do next time?? It’s a terrible way of looking at it. You don’t want to give in on something important to prevent this happening again. That really shows them alright. Shows every minority player and student that they aren’t important. And I’m sure Overshown knows what he is sacrificing. And I’m sure he will have the respect of those who matter to him. 1 year in college won’t end his career. And it’s insulting to say it could have been done better with a little more thought. You don’t know how much thought he put into this and you don’t know what’s the best move for him to make sure everyone knows where he stands. You just think the way you would like to see it done is better, but that’s not a fact. It’s your opinion. 

1 hour ago, Baron said:

Perhaps a little patience and asking questions behind closed doors, instead of issuing a public demand. UT is very liberal and progressive. I'm sure things are happening just not publicly at this time.

And how long should they wait?? A month?? 2 months? A year? He said they were told talks were being done behind closed doors so they aren’t privy to those discussions. Also why do these talks need to be private again?? This isn’t a private university. These talks should be known to all. 

10 minutes ago, hornsups said:

And how long should they wait?? A month?? 2 months? A year? He said they were told talks were being done behind closed doors so they aren’t privy to those discussions. Also why do these talks need to be private again?? This isn’t a private university. These talks should be known to all. 

Sounds like young people are full of themselves these days. Demands for instant gratification are not conducive to well thought out plans of action. Be patient, the liberals running UT will cave. And just because it's a public university doesn't mean that all its business is conducted publicly.

In response to:

You don’t know how much thought he put into this and you don’t know what’s the best move for him to make sure everyone knows where he stands. 

Nor do you. To imply otherwise is simply being as judgemental as you accused the other poster. The poster who was trying to make a point about young adults don't see things as clearly as older adults (as poster suggested to confide in CTH for some insight and guidance). All should be patient with the young adult. The student is obviously upset. Feelings are real regardless of circumstances. 

20 minutes ago, Baron said:

Sounds like young people are full of themselves these days. Demands for instant gratification are not conducive to well thought out plans of action. Be patient, the liberals running UT will cave. And just because it's a public university doesn't mean that all its business is conducted publicly.

Instant gratification?? It’s been weeks. They haven’t been updated. So again how long do they wait?? 

42 minutes ago, hornsups said:

It takes as long as it takes. Blackmail sucks. 

11 minutes ago, 63_Texas_1 said:

In response to:

You don’t know how much thought he put into this and you don’t know what’s the best move for him to make sure everyone knows where he stands. 

Nor do you. To imply otherwise is simply being as judgemental as you accused the other poster. The poster who was trying to make a point about young adults don't see things as clearly as older adults (as poster suggested to confide in CTH for some insight and guidance). All should be patient with the young adult. The student is obviously upset. Feelings are real regardless of circumstances. 

In response to your idiotic post... Did I say I know much much thought he put into it...  Checking... Nope I never said I knew how much thought he put into his decision. You’re making a point about?? Idk. So let me imply no, let me infer that you’re a moron. Again some telling us what these players know.. you just know that Overshown and these players cannot see things as clear as older adults?? These are the older adults who are in charge but never thought it was a good idea to do away with confederate statues after the issues in 2015 and 2017 with the Jefferson Davis statue?? These wise men couldn’t see it coming but these players are not as seeing as clear as them?? I need to be patient with older adults. You don’t see issues of race as clear as others. You guys get upset. Feelings are real regardless of circumstances. 

3 minutes ago, drgilbert said:

It takes as long as it takes. Blackmail sucks. 

Yeah no that’s not how it works. You can’t tell someone that you are listening and discussing changes and then say well it may take some time. You expect these players to just trust change will come. What has the university done to show they can be trusted? The players play games and then what happens if nothing has changed in December?? They played already. They were told change will come but it didn’t and the university got to showcase their players. If they wanted to ensure these players felt they were listened to, it seems they want to be informed on the discussions. It doesn’t take as long as it takes. This isn’t something new. It shouldn’t take a long time to change building names and take down statues. 

1 minute ago, drgilbert said:

I disagree with removing our history. It is who we were. Now let’s learn from it and be better. 

What history are you talking about? The Eyes? Confederate statues? Building names?? You don’t think any of that should be changed?? 

5 minutes ago, hornsups said:

Yeah no that’s not how it works. You can’t tell someone that you are listening and discussing changes and then say well it may take some time. You expect these players to just trust change will come. What has the university done to show they can be trusted? The players play games and then what happens if nothing has changed in December?? They played already. They were told change will come but it didn’t and the university got to showcase their players. If they wanted to ensure these players felt they were listened to, it seems they want to be informed on the discussions. It doesn’t take as long as it takes. This isn’t something new. It shouldn’t take a long time to change building names and take down statues. 

No games have been played, we might not even have a season, so this is a wasted argument. You don’t turn a ship as big as UT in a few weeks. Too many doors to be opened and too many people involved. These young men need to learn patience. It will help them in their future endeavors 

Just now, drgilbert said:

No games have been played, we might not even have a season, so this is a wasted argument. You don’t turn a ship as big as UT in a few weeks. Too many doors to be opened and too many people involved. These young men need to learn patience. It will help them in their future endeavors 

No what will help them in their future endeavors is knowing their worth and knowing the strength they have as a brotherhood. That’s what gets you through in life. Patience is easy to teach for those who don’t have to worry about being killed or walking on campus and seeing buildings named for people who wanted to see you oppressed. It’s 2020. These things should have been changed decades ago. It’s not the players fault that people didn’t think it was worth it to change things then. 

8 minutes ago, hornsups said:

What history are you talking about? The Eyes? Confederate statues? Building names?? You don’t think any of that should be changed?? 

In regards to The Eyes, no. I think it’s a ridiculous request. Statues are like scars, they are reminders of our past mistakes and help ensure we don’t make them again. With all that being said, I know we need a compromise. Move statues to a museum, rename buildings and rename the south end zone. We keep The Eyes though. Just don’t force them to sing it.