Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-recruiting)

Here is my question. When did "The Eyes Of Texas" become offensive. Did Earl feel uncomfortable singing the song or did he even know of the beginnings of the music. Did Vince? I think it only became offensive when someone told the players that it was offensive. Just my two cents. Now I'm sitting here wondering who is gonna call me a part of the problem.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So this post has nothing to do with any UT sports, this is just me being proud of my daughter. She just got accepted into UT pharmacy school. Sorry for going off topic, but I had to brag a little. Bac

Didn't know where to put this, but here ya go. Looks like Derrian Brown on the road to recovery and at the least he could have a normal life!   

Posted Images

Here’s some more of my ramblings and then I am going to shut up (for awhile 😀)

1. I don’t like demands and I don’t think that is any way to get anything accomplished. Demands are if you don’t do what we want then we aren’t going to do xyz........They are supposed to be one team, one voice. They all peaceful marched and that was damn good, but keep working at it. You are apart of a team and demands aren’t good. 

2. EVERYONE that loves and sings the Eyes of Texas are not doing is as a racist jester. It is a school song for THE University Of Texas. 

3. I’d like to see some honor for Julius Whittier. He came on that campus and had to endured alot and persevered. That’s the mark of a Texas Longhorn. 

4. Let’s just say CDC said ok we’ll do all the things you “demand”. Where does it ever be good enough? What if several don’t like something and more demands are made? Or I’m not going to practice or I’m not going to play. What if they said Darrell Royal was hard on black players and he used a racial slur one time? Now we want the stadium name changed or we aren’t playing. What’s the sacred cow? Where does the line get drawn? 

5. This is a double edge sword. Texas isn’t going to be able to field a team without black players and if whites stop buying tickets and going to the games it’s going to stop too. You can’t run CDC’s with half a stadium and student tickets.

This will be interesting to see play out, but I really wish things would be worked out a different way.

I think everyone should settle down and let's see how it all works out. I totally get where these players are coming from. Although I do question the The Eyes of Texas issue as I've never felt or heard anything that made me believe it was at all racist in meaning...I do agree with most of their suggestions 

1 hour ago, TexCoyote said:

Here’s some more of my ramblings and then I am going to shut up (for awhile 😀)

1. I don’t like demands and I don’t think that is any way to get anything accomplished. Demands are if you don’t do what we want then we aren’t going to do xyz........They are supposed to be one team, one voice. They all peaceful marched and that was damn good, but keep working at it. You are apart of a team and demands aren’t good. 

2. EVERYONE that loves and sings the Eyes of Texas are not doing is as a racist jester. It is a school song for THE University Of Texas. 

3. I’d like to see some honor for Julius Whittier. He came on that campus and had to endured alot and persevered. That’s the mark of a Texas Longhorn. 

4. Let’s just say CDC said ok we’ll do all the things you “demand”. Where does it ever be good enough? What if several don’t like something and more demands are made? Or I’m not going to practice or I’m not going to play. What if they said Darrell Royal was hard on black players and he used a racial slur one time? Now we want the stadium name changed or we aren’t playing. What’s the sacred cow? Where does the line get drawn? 

5. This is a double edge sword. Texas isn’t going to be able to field a team without black players and if whites stop buying tickets and going to the games it’s going to stop too. You can’t run CDC’s with half a stadium and student tickets.

This will be interesting to see play out, but I really wish things would be worked out a different way.

The word "demand" was never used. Don't put that on those young men. The word used was "request" which leads me to believe that these players are more than willing to sit down and discuss these things and come to,  hopefully, an admirable conclusion. I applaud them.

7 minutes ago, DBut82 said:

The word "demand" was never used. Don't put that on those young men. The word used was "request" which leads me to believe that these players are more than willing to sit down and discuss these things and come to,  hopefully, an admirable conclusion. I applaud them.

Good deal. I don’t. Everyone has an opinion. 

1 hour ago, DBut82 said:

No, the word "demand" doesn't appear in the letter. Nor does the word "rapture" appear in the New Testament. But Christians know there will be a rapture.

If you will read the paragraph which begins with "On behalf of the UT student-athlete . . . " you will see that there are conditions placed on their participation in UT recruiting activities. You do this or we won't do this.

That's a demand. Or extortion.

10 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

No, the word "demand" doesn't appear in the letter. Nor does the word "rapture" appear in the New Testament. But Christians know there will be a rapture.

If you will read the paragraph which begins with "On behalf of the UT student-athlete . . . " you will see that there are conditions placed on their participation in UT recruiting activities. You do this or we won't do this.

That's a demand. Or extortion.

They took great care with how they worded it so it didn't sound like a demand. But when you read it carefully, it's a demand. There's no getting around it. 

Oh no. The African American players who bring in so much money to this university. The ones who put their bodies through hell just so people watching can be entertained. The ones who people get on this site to talk about when they are 17 & 18. The ones who many obsess about. They have decided that they won’t be treated as some object anymore. They’ve decided to that they won’t protest by sitting games or not practicing. Instead they have decided to not help willing recruit  more African American players to an university that won’t get rid of things that represent a time & people who stood for oppressing people like them & people who look like me. Sorry but it’s crazy how many people are pissed that players used their position and their voices to demand systematic changes that aren’t too much. The only thing that could get some push back is The Eyes of Texas. But with the history of the song, it’s understandable why they added that. These players deal with having to perform for a bunch of people who pretend to love them but turn on them the second they push for things they feel are needed for them and a community. I know I’ve dealt with racism while at UT. And that wasn’t too long ago. I’m sure they have dealt with it as well. If you cannot deal with the changes they are pushing, you might wanna stop watching UT football. Because if their “demands” aren’t met in someway, UT football won’t ever be back. These players are starting to realize that they have power. These coaches cannot get million dollar contracts without good teams. Teams won’t be good without good players & many of those players are African Americans. Universities rely on sports for revenue. These players are important to that & as such their “demands” should be addressed. If you’re an asset to a company and they know you have options on going somewhere else, they offer you incentives. These players are needed & they are wanted (when they aren’t speaking apparently) to entertain us & win games. Listen to them & change some of the racist things associated with the university. Or complain on here & wonder why players don’t want to come to UT. 

It looks like she's a ghost.

Rumors suggest that the ghost of Alice Littlefield haunts the residence hall named after her at the University of Texas at Austin. Residents claim to hear rattling, and sometimes singing. An annual seance to contact her is widely attended by locals, and there are multiple reports of moaning coming from the walls of the building during the ceremony. She claims to protect those "under her name", and the residents can attest to this.

7 hours ago, hornsups said:

Oh no. The African American players who bring in so much money to this university. The ones who put their bodies through hell just so people watching can be entertained. The ones who people get on this site to talk about when they are 17 & 18. The ones who many obsess about. They have decided that they won’t be treated as some object anymore. They’ve decided to that they won’t protest by sitting games or not practicing. Instead they have decided to not help willing recruit  more African American players to an university that won’t get rid of things that represent a time & people who stood for oppressing people like them & people who look like me. Sorry but it’s crazy how many people are pissed that players used their position and their voices to demand systematic changes that aren’t too much. The only thing that could get some push back is The Eyes of Texas. But with the history of the song, it’s understandable why they added that. These players deal with having to perform for a bunch of people who pretend to love them but turn on them the second they push for things they feel are needed for them and a community. I know I’ve dealt with racism while at UT. And that wasn’t too long ago. I’m sure they have dealt with it as well. If you cannot deal with the changes they are pushing, you might wanna stop watching UT football. Because if their “demands” aren’t met in someway, UT football won’t ever be back. These players are starting to realize that they have power. These coaches cannot get million dollar contracts without good teams. Teams won’t be good without good players & many of those players are African Americans. Universities rely on sports for revenue. These players are important to that & as such their “demands” should be addressed. If you’re an asset to a company and they know you have options on going somewhere else, they offer you incentives. These players are needed & they are wanted (when they aren’t speaking apparently) to entertain us & win games. Listen to them & change some of the racist things associated with the university. Or complain on here & wonder why players don’t want to come to UT. 

Maybe we should just park them one by one in front of recruits and they can explain how badly they've had it at UT? I'd personally like to hear that story.

From what Ive seen, these people are treated like Hollywood stars wherever they go, unless they've broken the law and are dealing with police.

What you can't get around when reading the post above is the complete discarding of the white and hispanic athletes. They sweat the same sweat for the same amount of time as blacks do. Yet, you make it seem as only black athletes do this.

ALLLLLLLLLL athletes have a choice to come here or not. Thats been abundantly clear ever since it became the reason to have message boards on the internet. We sweat and complain or party because of the choices they make.

40 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Maybe we should just park them one by one in front of recruits and they can explain how badly they've had it at UT? I'd personally like to hear that story.

From what Ive seen, these people are treated like Hollywood stars wherever they go, unless they've broken the law and are dealing with police.

What you can't get around when reading the post above is the complete discarding of the white and hispanic athletes. They sweat the same sweat for the same amount of time as blacks do. Yet, you make it seem as only black athletes do this.

ALLLLLLLLLL athletes have a choice to come here or not. Thats been abundantly clear ever since it became the reason to have message boards on the internet. We sweat and complain or party because of the choices they make.

Wait so you think just because they are athletes, they aren’t discriminated against?? You are mistaken. And it‘s not always by cops. There are plenty of students who don’t care that these black players are athletes. They don’t have to break the law to be treated less than at times. 

I make it seem like only black athletes do what?? All athletes have the choice to come here that is correct. And those athletes have the choice to make it known they will not recruit or meet with donors unless changes are made. If you don’t like it, oh well. But they made their opinions known and they have the power to make or break what so many at this university love. Because if they start letting it be known to future recruits that UT isn’t gonna respect you as a person, just use you as an athlete, we may be stuck in mediocracy for some time. For me I wouldn’t care if we lost 10 games a season from now on if it means these athletes stood up for something as big as what they are & it got change. 

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

SHA, This dude is going to find something wrong with anything you've said. Its best just to walk away. 

5 hours ago, hornsups said:

Wait so you think just because they are athletes, they aren’t discriminated against?? You are mistaken. And it‘s not always by cops. There are plenty of students who don’t care that these black players are athletes. They don’t have to break the law to be treated less than at times. 

I make it seem like only black athletes do what?? All athletes have the choice to come here that is correct. And those athletes have the choice to make it known they will not recruit or meet with donors unless changes are made. If you don’t like it, oh well. But they made their opinions known and they have the power to make or break what so many at this university love. Because if they start letting it be known to future recruits that UT isn’t gonna respect you as a person, just use you as an athlete, we may be stuck in mediocracy for some time. For me I wouldn’t care if we lost 10 games a season from now on if it means these athletes stood up for something as big as what they are & it got change. 

Some of the same things you call discrimination, others call ordinary life. There is evil in the world and no legislation, no intimidation, no destruction of private property, and no protest is going to change that. Evil takes many forms and comes in both vanilla and chocolate.

If I were Herman and an attempted extortion was conducted by my athletes, I don't think I'd have anything positive to say about it.

Kicking aside the Eyes of Texas simply because someone you don't like once sang it in blackface is pretty lame. As I said, Hitler is known to have sung Amazing Grace. Did we throw a tantrum and refuse to sing it? No, the hymn is much larger than those who sing it.

What I'd like to see here is instead of focusing on the 10 people killed (2019) from 41.5 million (and thats not including those who are black/white mix) population and calling that a problem . . . why not focus on the 15% of America's population being black, yet 53% of murders are committed by blacks. (https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2017/crime-in-the-u.s.-2017/tables/table-43)

Or the fact that the #1 killer (and its not even close) of black men in America is other black men. (https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2016/crime-in-the-u.s.-2016/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-3.xls)

Or how 70 percent of all black children are born to unmarried parents and become single-parent households.

This is why these changes really won't change anything. We're not addressing the real problems. 

59 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Some of the same things you call discrimination, others call ordinary life. There is evil in the world and no legislation, no intimidation, no destruction of private property, and no protest is going to change that. Evil takes many forms and comes in both vanilla and chocolate.

If I were Herman and an attempted extortion was conducted by my athletes, I don't think I'd have anything positive to say about it.

Kicking aside the Eyes of Texas simply because someone you don't like once sang it in blackface is pretty lame. As I said, Hitler is known to have sung Amazing Grace. Did we throw a tantrum and refuse to sing it? No, the hymn is much larger than those who sing it.

What I'd like to see here is instead of focusing on the 10 people killed (2019) from 41.5 million (and thats not including those who are black/white mix) population and calling that a problem . . . why not focus on the 15% of America's population being black, yet 53% of murders are committed by blacks. (https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2017/crime-in-the-u.s.-2017/tables/table-43)

Or the fact that the #1 killer (and its not even close) of black men in America is other black men. (https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2016/crime-in-the-u.s.-2016/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-3.xls)

Or how 70 percent of all black children are born to unmarried parents and become single-parent households.

This is why these changes really won't change anything. We're not addressing the real problems. 

You’re a dumb F@#K if you think that’s the biggest problem. Black people kill more black people. Just like white people kill more white people. The reason?? Because that’s who they live near. You pretend to be so smart. If you don’t know that. You’re not too bright. Again you are ill-informed and don’t have the mental capacity to talk about the racial injustices in this country. You’re not worth talking to because you’re closed-minded with right wing talking points. It’s sad I can without a doubt tell from everything you’ve said you are conservative, white male. You probably would have a heart attack if one of our players kneeled during the anthem. You’re weak. So as I said on the other thread. Good day sir. And any other thing you respond to my post with will be the receive the same response. You’re not worth me answering any of your flawed questions or statements. 

8 hours ago, hornsups said:

You’re a dumb F@#K if you think that’s the biggest problem. Black people kill more black people. Just like white people kill more white people. The reason?? Because that’s who they live near. You pretend to be so smart. If you don’t know that. You’re not too bright. Again you are ill-informed and don’t have the mental capacity to talk about the racial injustices in this country. You’re not worth talking to because you’re closed-minded with right wing talking points. It’s sad I can without a doubt tell from everything you’ve said you are conservative, white male. You probably would have a heart attack if one of our players kneeled during the anthem. You’re weak. So as I said on the other thread. Good day sir. And any other thing you respond to my post with will be the receive the same response. You’re not worth me answering any of your flawed questions or statements. 

You are totally out of line with this post. 

10 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Yes, these are real problems.  The question is what is the root cause of the problem?  That's where the difference of opinion lies.  Can this be traced to level of education, opportunities for a quality education, available work opportunities?  Are all education systems equal in America?  Can anyone live where ever they want and not worry about others looking at their skin color?  Can it even be traced back to slavery and racism in America?  I'm sure an argument can be made.  That being said, the problems in America need real solutions instead of finger pointing.  Everyone's going to have their opinion and everyone's going to have their table of facts.

3 hours ago, Rotty22 said:

Yes, these are real problems.  The question is what is the root cause of the problem?  That's where the difference of opinion lies.  Can this be traced to level of education, opportunities for a quality education, available work opportunities?  Are all education systems equal in America?  Can anyone live where ever they want and not worry about others looking at their skin color?  Can it even be traced back to slavery and racism in America?  I'm sure an argument can be made.  That being said, the problems in America need real solutions instead of finger pointing.  Everyone's going to have their opinion and everyone's going to have their table of facts.

Well, maybe you could start with the 70%-plus of the black population (44.4 million) who have babies out of wedlock and into single-parent homes?

I can't believe you breezed right by that and then ask "what is the root problem here?" Hello?

Yes, you are free to live where you want in this country. That goes for blacks as well as any other color. This is not a problem.

Yes, it can be traced back but no one wants to talk about the past much because it is knee-deep in Democrats.

Let me be clear – I DID NOT GIVE YOU OPINION – and you did not respond to opinion. I gave you FBI statistics for 2019 – the only table of facts that really matter.

You had facts spoon fed to you (and links) and yet you run around wondering about the facts? Good grief dude.

14 hours ago, hornsups said:

Maybe you should take a break and solve your own personal problems instead of taking on something obviously over your head. I didn't read past your first sentence. Potty mouth is the first clue someone is losing a debate.