Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Baron

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-recruiting)

8 hours ago, Eastexhorn said:

Remember Epps now and Simms was second fastest back in his districk.behind a DeKalb back.

Then they wasnot born close to my house.

I remember the big showdown in '77, Daingerfield vs Atlanta. RBs Phillip Epps vs Paul Rogers. Both were lightning fast and were track rivals, too. Atlanta won the game, 6-3.

Chris something was the name of the TB out of Dekalb. I actually played against him. He was indeed fast but we kept him contained. Terrance Ganaway was also from DeKalb.

4 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I remember the big showdown in '77, Daingerfield vs Atlanta. RBs Phillip Epps vs Paul Rogers. Both were lightning fast and were track rivals, too. Atlanta won the game, 6-3.

Chris something was the name of the TB out of Dekalb. I actually played against him. He was indeed fast but we kept him contained. Terrance Ganaway was also from DeKalb.

Mosler was his name spelling might be wrong.A friend son played DE for New Boston his take put a hand on C Mosler and he would go down. Put a hand on Simms and he would run over you.

19 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

Another great ath. who some how messed up and never reached greatness after high school. Belive he won a state ship in track with only three others for relays.

The link I posted tells why his career got side-tracked. His wife at the time told him she was divorcing him right before the Olympic trials. He lost his head and missed the trials. Otherwise, he probably ends up on a Wheaties box cover.

Keep in mind, Garton didn't even have a track to practice on in high school.

Winners and losers from the transfer portal

Texas: The Longhorns’ wins largely occurred by convincing impact players (Denzel Okafor, Juwan Mitchell) to stay. But the addition of the talented (though oft-injured) Tarik Black brings some needed experience to the wide receiver room following the departures of Collin Johnson and Devin Duvernay.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-transfer-portal-winners-losers-2019-2020-Florida-Miami-Florida-State-147141131/#147141131_8

FIVE COLLEGE BASKETBALL WHOSE JOB MAY HAVE BEEN SAVED BY THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC

1. Shaka Smart | Texas

Maybe the Longhorns would have defeated Texas Tech in the quarterfinals of the Big 12 Tournament, secured a spot in the NCAA Tournament and advanced in the Big Dance for the first time in Smart's five-year tenure. But there's also a chance they would have ended up on the wrong side of the bubble for the third time in his tenure if the season hadn't been canceled. If the Longhorns had missed the tournament and the economy was still doing well, it's hard to imagine that Smart would have gotten the vote of confidence from university leadership to return for a sixth season.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/five-college-basketball-coaches-whose-jobs-may-have-been-saved-by-the-coronavirus-pandemic/

4 hours ago, primal defense said:

FIVE COLLEGE BASKETBALL WHOSE JOB MAY HAVE BEEN SAVED BY THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC

1. Shaka Smart | Texas

Maybe the Longhorns would have defeated Texas Tech in the quarterfinals of the Big 12 Tournament, secured a spot in the NCAA Tournament and advanced in the Big Dance for the first time in Smart's five-year tenure. But there's also a chance they would have ended up on the wrong side of the bubble for the third time in his tenure if the season hadn't been canceled. If the Longhorns had missed the tournament and the economy was still doing well, it's hard to imagine that Smart would have gotten the vote of confidence from university leadership to return for a sixth season.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/five-college-basketball-coaches-whose-jobs-may-have-been-saved-by-the-coronavirus-pandemic/

BS. Wuhan Virus didn't save Shaka's job. His contract did.

They just print anything when there's nothing to do I guess.

4 hours ago, Eastexhorn said:

No track to run on and proably no offical track coach till he got to TCU and Thornton.

At least Alan Laler spelling was smart he went to Texas.

Austin is a long, long way from New Boston.

I remember when Chris Jones signed his LOI to Texas. He was the first Daingerfield product to ever come to Texas, though it didn't last long. It struck me as very odd that they fourth oldest town in the state had never sent anyone to Texas, even though some pretty significant players have come from there.

Its just a long way from home but thats becoming less and less of a factor in modern times.

Our top college football teams that failed to win the national championship

13. 2008 Texas (12-1)

The 2008 season produced one of the most perfectly framed arguments of the BCS era. Texas beat Oklahoma 45-35, defeated an excellent Oklahoma State team and won nine other games by an average of 47-14. But the Longhorns lost an all-time thriller to Mike Leach and Texas Tech, and when OU obliterated that Tech team a few weeks later, it gave the Sooners the smallest of BCS formula edges. The two teams were almost perfect equals that year -- a best-of-seven series between them would seemingly go the distance every time -- but only one could advance, and it wasn't the Horns.

So be it. But this team was dynamite. Colt McCoy completed 77% of his passes, Quan Cosby and Jordan Shipley combined for 2,183 receiving yards and Brian Orakpo spearheaded an opportunistic defense. The Horns would make the national title game the next year, but this was the better team

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29190742/our-top-college-football-teams-failed-win-national-championship