Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Baron

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-recruiting)

Shaka Smart’s job at Texas

Texas has long loomed as the biggest potential opening, as the job has projected all season as the only true market driver. Other than jobs tied to the federal basketball scandal, Texas has been the lone focus for high-end jobs in the coaching carousel.

But along came a five-game winning streak that unexpectedly launched Texas squarely on the NCAA bubble. Matt Coleman’s banked-in 3-point buzzer-beater to win at Oklahoma on Tuesday night bolstered Texas’ status as one of the hottest teams in the country, as it is now 19-11 and third in the Big 12 at 9-8.

And it may be the shot that saves Shaka Smart, one of those mind-bending moments that changes the directions of millions of dollars, the ripple of a handful of jobs and many lives. Reaching a third NCAA tournament in five years is respectable, as there’s been some bad luck with injuries and illness for Smart’s team.

There are three potential outcomes here. The first is that Longhorns athletic director Chris Del Conte decides that Smart’s 90-77 record and no NCAA tournament wins – at least not yet, thanks to a Northern Iowa half-court shot – have created an apathy around the program. It would cost Del Conte nearly $10.5 million to fire Smart. While it’s easy to typecast Texas as a wealthy blue-blood program, that’s still an enormous amount of money for a basketball expenditure at a school that’s never cared much about basketball. (There’s a new $338 million arena on the way, about a decade overdue.)

Hiring Chris Beard away from Texas Tech would be the clear preference for Texas administrators and fans, but that would cost a $6 million buyout. (So that’s potentially $16 million total in dead money before having to pay Beard more than his current $4.2 million. Again, this is basketball at Texas.)

The second option is that Smart attempts to bounce to a lateral job. There are obvious places like Wake Forest, Boston College or Clemson, where he’d offer an upgrade. (And he could potentially return to his Havoc roots at VCU, too.) Smart is cheap to lure away, as he’d owe just the money to his assistants if he departed on his own. (An estimate: There is less than a million.)

The third option is that he sticks around, which looks a lot more likely today than it did two weeks ago.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/coaching-carousel-did-a-crazy-shot-save-shaka-smarts-job-at-texas-225448415.html

1 hour ago, primal defense said:

Shaka Smart’s job at Texas

Texas has long loomed as the biggest potential opening, as the job has projected all season as the only true market driver. Other than jobs tied to the federal basketball scandal, Texas has been the lone focus for high-end jobs in the coaching carousel.

But along came a five-game winning streak that unexpectedly launched Texas squarely on the NCAA bubble. Matt Coleman’s banked-in 3-point buzzer-beater to win at Oklahoma on Tuesday night bolstered Texas’ status as one of the hottest teams in the country, as it is now 19-11 and third in the Big 12 at 9-8.

And it may be the shot that saves Shaka Smart, one of those mind-bending moments that changes the directions of millions of dollars, the ripple of a handful of jobs and many lives. Reaching a third NCAA tournament in five years is respectable, as there’s been some bad luck with injuries and illness for Smart’s team.

There are three potential outcomes here. The first is that Longhorns athletic director Chris Del Conte decides that Smart’s 90-77 record and no NCAA tournament wins – at least not yet, thanks to a Northern Iowa half-court shot – have created an apathy around the program. It would cost Del Conte nearly $10.5 million to fire Smart. While it’s easy to typecast Texas as a wealthy blue-blood program, that’s still an enormous amount of money for a basketball expenditure at a school that’s never cared much about basketball. (There’s a new $338 million arena on the way, about a decade overdue.)

Hiring Chris Beard away from Texas Tech would be the clear preference for Texas administrators and fans, but that would cost a $6 million buyout. (So that’s potentially $16 million total in dead money before having to pay Beard more than his current $4.2 million. Again, this is basketball at Texas.)

The second option is that Smart attempts to bounce to a lateral job. There are obvious places like Wake Forest, Boston College or Clemson, where he’d offer an upgrade. (And he could potentially return to his Havoc roots at VCU, too.) Smart is cheap to lure away, as he’d owe just the money to his assistants if he departed on his own. (An estimate: There is less than a million.)

The third option is that he sticks around, which looks a lot more likely today than it did two weeks ago.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/coaching-carousel-did-a-crazy-shot-save-shaka-smarts-job-at-texas-225448415.html

Call me crazy. Two weeks ago I wanted Shaka fired.  He kept putting a team on the court that was a team in name only. Sure they played hard all his teams have but they lacked a spark. Everybody wanted the ball on offense and there’s only one. So you have some injuries to your big names at the bigs and you put in some guys with a fire for the game. They don’t care if they score; they just pick up the trash, play defense and... hustle. And presto a recipe, an identity. If Shaka has learned that his best team  isn’t always , or even most of the time, just the 5 most talented players, but the 5 players who together play the game the best, then I’d be happy to have him back. He seems like a great guy and a good ambassador for the school. But I do want a good basketball team. 

35 minutes ago, Wayne said:

Call me crazy. Two weeks ago I wanted Shaka fired.  He kept putting a team on the court that was a team in name only. Sure they played hard all his teams have but they lacked a spark. Everybody wanted the ball on offense and there’s only one. So you have some injuries to your big names at the bigs and you put in some guys with a fire for the game. They don’t care if they score; they just pick up the trash, play defense and... hustle. And presto a recipe, an identity. If Shaka has learned that his best team  isn’t always , or even most of the time, just the 5 most talented players, but the 5 players who together play the game the best, then I’d be happy to have him back. He seems like a great guy and a good ambassador for the school. But I do want a good basketball team. 

Well said. My thoughts exactly.

1 minute ago, Bear19 said:

Does anyone really believe shaka smart has suddenly learned how to coach during his fifth year at Texas?

No, I think what we're seeing is what Shaka was simply forced to do. I hope he's learned from it, namely the value of role players.

Last year it was in the NIT. This year it’s right at the end of conference play.  Every year they hit a little hot streak and look ok.  You still have to look at the rest of the season.  He was the coach when they sucked then too.  It’s time to part ways.  He could win the NIT, or they could actually get in the ncaa tournament and go to the sweet 16.  He still needs to go.  Look at the entirety of what he’s done at Texas.  That shouldn’t be the standard.  Texas fires Rick Barnes for being a better coach than Smart

10 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

No, I think what we're seeing is what Shaka was simply forced to do. I hope he's learned from it, namely the value of role players.

That is what I was saying. Shaka knew how to coach at VCU; he averaged 26 wins a year and took a team to the Final Four. But at Texas he recruited 4 and 5 stars not to mention one and dones and forgot about the high energy style that won for him. What I hope is that he now remembers what worked for him at BCU: play five guys that play with passion and intensity. 

37 minutes ago, Drb522 said:

Last year it was in the NIT. This year it’s right at the end of conference play.  Every year they hit a little hot streak and look ok.  You still have to look at the rest of the season.  He was the coach when they sucked then too.  It’s time to part ways.  He could win the NIT, or they could actually get in the ncaa tournament and go to the sweet 16.  He still needs to go.  Look at the entirety of what he’s done at Texas.  That shouldn’t be the standard.  Texas fires Rick Barnes for being a better coach than Smart

By the end of his run at Texas, Barnes had succumbed to the one and done virus as well. He was recruiting and playing guys who weren’t playing with passion. Then when he goes to Tennessee and gets guys who stay and learn to play his way and they win. Texas can be a trap job. You can recruit better than VCU but not as good as Kansas or Kentucky.   You’re in that in between place.  

Football is a different beast at Texas there are no excuses. You can recruit with any team in the country.   But in basketball we’re not a blue blood. So you can’t coach like it. 

BOHLS: TEXAS' SMART GETS MY PRIMARY VOTE

On a roll. Shaka Smart wasn’t running for office Tuesday, but maybe he should. He deserves immense credit for his Texas basketball team’s turnaround, winning four straight Big 12 games, including two against No. 20 West Virginia and No. 22 Texas Tech. Quite frankly, the Longhorns have looked great and thoroughly outplayed both. While batting severe, depth-robbing injuries and facing constant conjecture about his coaching future, Smart has shown a poise, dignity and class like few others would. ... But, yes, he should have played Brock Cunningham sooner for his infectious energy and hustle. During the win streak before Tuesday night’s test at Oklahoma, an electric Andrew Jones has connected on 52% of his 3-point tries (14-for-27) and Courtney Ramey on 45% of his. The Longhorns made nine treys a game, hitting them at a 46% clip while opponents are shooting at a lowly 25%. They’ve gone from nowhere within the bubble’s ZIP code to a viable contender for an NCAA Tournament at-large berth. Jerry Palm now lists Texas as a 12 seed in a play-in game. ... The last 27 Big 12 teams that finished at least .500 in league play all made it in, going back to 17-16 West Virginia in 2014. ... The team is playing loose, with confidence and with a sense of urgency that was lacking in January and early February. Shaka has mixed in just enough Havoc pressure to go with a style that has opened up the floor without injured center Jericho Sims because the guards can drive more easily in a lane that’s less clogged and are focusing less on entry passes. ... And I love the fire Smart has shown with a pair of demonstrative technicals. Where has he hidden that? ... Jones is announcing his large presence for next year. “He’s been extremely big because he can score. That’s something that is invaluable to any team,” Smart said.

https://www.statesman.com/sports/20200303/bohls-texas-smart-gets-my-primary-vote

Jim is a great follow if you're a history nerd and love UT.

The next time you argue with a friend over uniform changes, don't let them tell you we've never worn all burnt orange.