Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Baron

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-recruiting)

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

He's gotta be to be getting paid like that. lol

On a serious note, I always thought Tennessee was a sleeping giant just like the real UT. Pruitt seems to be turning around that program.

Also from The Football Brainiacs, they are reporting Texas has implemented a new detention policy for breaking rules like being tardy to meetings.

This results in a late-night weekend study hall, and even having their numbers taken away or cutting back on the amount of tickets they can receive for game days.

The jersey number punishment is "surprisingly" effective.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL COACHES FACING PIVOTAL SEASONS IN 2020

Tom Herman, Texas

A commonly held belief in college football is that coaches typically do not get to fire their staffs twice, but they can do it once. Tom Herman played that card this offseason, and it needs to work this year. Texas AD Chris Del Conte has already stated that Herman will not have a second bite at the apple. There is opportunity within the Big 12 with Oklahoma losing QB Jalen Hurts and the Longhorns returning Sam Ehlinger. The Longhorns get two road games to the state of Kansas this year, and get a retooling and presumably weakened LSU team in the non-conference. Some media overhyped Texas for 2019, ignoring the personnel losses it suffered from the 2018 team, and that the 2018 squad was somewhat lucky to get to 10 wins. I have had my eyes on 2020 for Texas since the 2018 Sugar Bowl.

If Texas does not take a major step forward this year, the questions about whether it ever will will grow louder. Can Herman's Horns become consistent? Can they bring it every week and not just in the games they perceive as big-time?

Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M

Jimbo Fisher’s first two years at the helm of Texas A&M have been better than Kevin Sumlin’s last two in College Station. The Aggies have reeled in two excellent recruiting classes well.

But, Texas A&M isn’t paying Fisher a guaranteed $75M over a decade to go 5-3 or 4-4 in the SEC. It wants more. So far, A&M is 1-5 against the three West heavyweights Alabama, Auburn, and LSU.

With Alabama losing Tua Tagovailoa and LSU losing Joe Burrow (and a ton of other starters), the SEC West seems wide-open. The non-conference schedule is as soft as can be, with an FCS foe and three FBS squads which failed to make bowls in 2019. Additionally, the cross-divisional draw is the easiest it can be under the current alignment, with the Aggies facing Vanderbilt and South Carolina. Oh, and the three West bottom feeders all made coaching changes in the offseason. 

Given that slate, plus 19 starters returning including QB Kellen Mond, 2020 looks like a year that the Aggies need to take a step forward. Anything short of 10 wins against this schedule would be looked at as a missed opportunity.

https://247sports.com/Article/College-football-2020-season-coaches-pivotal-seat-hot--144234973/

According to 247, TE Reese Leitao is expected to cross-train with the DL once spring practices start.

It is thought that he will be working at the same position as guys like DE Joseph Ossai and DE Byron Vaughns.

On 2/25/2020 at 7:59 PM, texbound said:

Even with that joke of a schedule I'm still predicting 3 losses for ATM.  But they will still spin it as a fantastic season.

That'll be $75 million sir. lol

Jimbo was supposed to win titles, not strive for a 3-loss seasons. Or did I misunderstand?

1 hour ago, hookemhorb said:

What!?!

Haven't you heard. Losses to sec, sec, sec teams is a win for sec, sec, sec. 🤩

I'm sure they do not hold that same school of thought when it comes to Big 12 basketball/Texas basketball.