Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Baron

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-recruiting)

Two quick notes from The Football Brainiacs...

- they are hearing Roschon Johnson will remain at RB for the foreseeable future, and this will allow Jordan Whittington to go back to slot WR where he was originally before the slew of RB injuries.

- Texas attempted to get Michigan grad transfer WR Tarik Black on campus last weekend, but that didn't come to fruition. They believe Black will ultimately choose Texas as things stand.

23 minutes ago, TFloss32 said:

- they are hearing Roschon Johnson will remain at RB for the foreseeable future, and this will allow Jordan Whittington to go back to slot WR where he was originally before the slew of RB injuries.

- Texas attempted to get Michigan grad transfer WR Tarik Black on campus last weekend, but that didn't come to fruition. They believe Black will ultimately choose Texas as things stand.

This is good news I believe. It sounds like the future at QB after Sam is Casey then Hudson Card. This will give us three strong running backs Keontay, Roschon, and Bijan for next year. Plus Jordan in the slot as a game breaker.

4 hours ago, TFloss32 said:

I cannot help but feel that this is a mistake with RoJo. I hope it was his decision to do this after he gave selflessly to the team last season. It also makes Whittington one dimensional on the field as a WR instead of a swiss army knife at every skill position. Just my 2 cents.

40 minutes ago, Baron said:

I cannot help but feel that this is a mistake with RoJo. I hope it was his decision to do this after he gave selflessly to the team last season. It also makes Whittington one dimensional on the field as a WR instead of a swiss army knife at every skill position. Just my 2 cents.

Herman would not force Roschon to running back if he wanted to compete at QB.

31 minutes ago, Baron said:

Maybe so, but could be like playing chess with more than one queen. Compromise one and get checkmated by another. Whittington can still be moved around and I would like to see RoJo used more in the wildcat at least.  Versatility like this should be a coach's dream. Can't wait to see how our new OC uses them.

9 minutes ago, primal defense said:

Herman would not force Roschon to running back if he wanted to compete at QB.

1 minute ago, UTfish said:

Maybe so, but could be like playing chess with more than one queen. Compromise one and get checkmated by another. Whittington can still be moved around and I would like to see RoJo used more in the wildcat at least.  Versatility like this should be a coach's dream. Can't wait to see how our new OC uses them.

I just have so much respect for the young man for what he did last year, I hate to see him lose his dream of playing QB. He's behind the 8-ball at RB with Robinson coming in. I wouldn't blame him if he entered the transfer portal.

11 minutes ago, Baron said:

I just have so much respect for the young man for what he did last year, I hate to see him lose his dream of playing QB. He's behind the 8-ball at RB with Robinson coming in. I wouldn't blame him if he entered the transfer portal.

I couldn't agree more. But there's going to be a lot of talent in the QB room as well. He's an outstanding young man and we all want him to have the best opportunity for success. 

24 minutes ago, Baron said:

I'm not an NFL scout, but I could see Roschon in the NFL someday as a running back.

1 minute ago, primal defense said:

I'm not an NFL scout, but I could see Roschon in the NFL someday as a running back.

He won't have enough chances to put on a highlight reel playing behind Ingram and Robinson. And aren't we all counting our chickens before they're hatched when it comes to Card? I still have Gilbert fresh in my mind and that was ten years ago.

35 minutes ago, Baron said:

It was his decision to stick at RB. I think it was a smart move on his part.

He's seeing the field a helluva lot more at RB than he ever would at QB, simply because Sam Ehlinger is still around. We don't blow out too many teams so mop up time is scarce. 

What we saw last year was a kid playing RB for the first time. It was incredible the success he had, at times a better weapon than Keontay Ingram. He's got better size than Ingram and the speed is a push. So I'm not sure he couldn't take over the top spot from Ingram with Robinson getting feature touches along the way each game.

Röschen wasn't just a threat in the running game. He can catch the ball very well, too. He turned into a big time weapon for us.

12 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

He's seeing the field a helluva lot more at RB than he ever would at QB, simply because Sam Ehlinger is still around. We don't blow out too many teams so mop up time is scarce. 

What we saw last year was a kid playing RB for the first time. It was incredible the success he had, at times a better weapon than Keontay Ingram. He's got better size than Ingram and the speed is a push. So I'm not sure he couldn't take over the top spot from Ingram with Robinson getting feature touches along the way each game.

Röschen wasn't just a threat in the running game. He can catch the ball very well, too. He turned into a big time weapon for us.

And he's a threat to throw the ball too. He's got a pretty good arm.

16 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

You think Herman will allow RoJo to surpass Ingram on the depth chart? He tends to show loyalty to upperclassmen at times that make you scratch your head.

17 minutes ago, Baron said:

You think Herman will allow RoJo to surpass Ingram on the depth chart? He tends to show loyalty to upperclassmen at times that make you scratch your head.

For his job's sake, he better show loyalty toward whomever is toting the rock the best.

58 minutes ago, Baron said:

He won't have enough chances to put on a highlight reel playing behind Ingram and Robinson. And aren't we all counting our chickens before they're hatched when it comes to Card? I still have Gilbert fresh in my mind and that was ten years ago.

Thanks very little for reminding me. Lol

Jackson's no slouch either. But maybe we are just counting eggs. 

I'd say some are counting chickens a bit early on Rojo as a QB as well. He is a definite threat at RB but not a given as a college level QB. By this time next year, he could be receiving mentions in the Heisman conversation as a RB. If he progresses and Robinson is as advertised, Ingram may be the odd man out. Hopefully Yurcich is good enough at spreading things around that all three will stay happy and reach their potential.

19 minutes ago, NEOkHorn said:

I'd say some are counting chickens a bit early on Rojo as a QB as well. He is a definite threat at RB but not a given as a college level QB. By this time next year, he could be receiving mentions in the Heisman conversation as a RB. If he progresses and Robinson is as advertised, Ingram may be the odd man out. Hopefully Yurcich is good enough at spreading things around that all three will stay happy and reach their potential.

Point taken, on the counting chickens comment.

17 minutes ago, primal defense said:

It's very funny hearing people saying there won't be enough carries for our running backs. Doesn't anyone remember all the injuries that our running backs had this year?

We need at least three high quality running backs.

With a QB that averaged over 163 attempts over the last two years? Sounds like more fact than funny. 

7 minutes ago, Baron said:

With a QB that averaged over 163 attempts over the last two years? Sounds like more fact than funny. 

Ehlinger's carries decreased last year and it was more or less planned that way. We were desperate in the RB department last year.

Yes, we'll use three backs and they won't all stay healthy.

25 minutes ago, Baron said:

That also includes about 30+ sacks. So he didn't run as much. Though it adds an extra element that he can run.

I too thought they ran him less last season, but per NCAA stats, Ehlinger had 163 rushing attempts in '18 and 164 in '19. I realize that the NCAA adds sacks as rushing attempts but it doesn't make that big of a difference in the attempts.