Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Baron

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-recruiting)

32 minutes ago, primal defense said:

BOWL GAME OVERRACTIONS 

Nobody owns an offseason like Texas, and December set the stage for a glorious 2020 for the Longhorns -- at least until games start getting played again. Start with a dominant win over Utah in the Valero Alamo Bowl, just the type of upset victory that gets pundits lathered up for a good offseason narrative. Then quarterback Sam Ehlinger announced a return for 2020. Then rival Oklahoma was utterly embarrassed in the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl.

All the pieces were in place. The Big 12 belonged to Texas in 2020, right? Well, small problems: Texas finished 97th in pass defense, couldn't run the ball consistently and lost at least four games for the 10th straight year. Number of four-loss seasons for Oklahoma in that stretch? One.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28484221/bowl-game-overreactions-thoughts-clemson-texas-michigan-alabama-more

I'm sure the dumbass that wrote this meant 2019. The ESPN penchant for ridiculing Texas for something one of their morons (Tessatore) started is getting old. I hope the players and staff take note and shove ESPN's effing noses in it.

THE BEST QB IN EVERY CONFERENCE IN 2020

Big 12: Sam Ehlinger, Texas

There's no question the 2019 season wasn't kind to the "Texas is back" crowd. The Longhorns wound up going 8-5 in a season that saw them ravaged by injuries. Head coach Tom Herman wound up firing both coordinators, and there is going to be plenty of newness in Austin throughout 2020.

Sam Ehlinger will be the steadying force, though, after electing to return for his senior season. That's huge news, too. He did nothing wrong in a '19 campaign that saw him throw for 3,663 yards, 32 touchdowns and 10 interceptions while completing more than 65 percent of his passes.

With Jalen Hurts gone, Ehlinger will get the publicity he deserves.

There's still plenty of talent at the position in the Big 12, though. Iowa State's Brock Purdy, Oklahoma State's Spencer Sanders, Baylor's Charlie Brewer and Texas Tech's Jett Duffey could all have big 2020s.

But this should be Ehlinger's year.

The Longhorns inked Mike Yurcich to be their next offensive coordinator, and he has ties to the conference after serving as Mike Gundy's offensive coordinator at Oklahoma State before he was hired away to be Ohio State's passing game coordinator a year ago.

Everyone knows the kind of season Justin Fields had in Columbus last year, and Yurcich's fingerprints were all over that performance. So, what can he do with Ehlinger? The dual-threat playmaker is thought of as a great college quarterback, but his pro stock is all over the map.

If he can put together a massive senior season and lead Texas back to prominence, he could really see his NFL stock soar. He could wind up clicking with Yurcich in a big way, and if that happens, the Longhorns would have the talent to enjoy a bounceback season.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2872067-the-best-returning-qb-in-every-college-football-conference-for-2020#slide3

19 hours ago, Baron said:

I'm sure the dumbass that wrote this meant 2019. The ESPN penchant for ridiculing Texas for something one of their morons (Tessatore) started is getting old. I hope the players and staff take note and shove ESPN's effing noses in it.

The only way to stop it is to stop giving them an audience.

4 hours ago, primal defense said:

I prefer the other way and that's for UT to start winning big time on a regular basis. It makes it tougher for ESPN or anyone else to bad mouth Texas.

You are right. Bill Parcells once said “you are what your record says you are.”  And for the last decade in football and basketball  we’ve been mediocre at best and downright awful at worst. I for one am ready for a decade run of excellence in both sports. That’s the best way to shut up the talking (air)heads at ESPN. 

4 hours ago, primal defense said:

I prefer the other way and that's for UT to start winning big time on a regular basis. It makes it tougher for ESPN or anyone else to bad mouth Texas.

Maybe true, but, this isn't the only offense ESPN commits on a day by day basis. I only watch ESPN or ESPN puppy stations when I have to. That includes LHN.

Speaking of LHN, I can't believe it gets no more advertising support than it does. With the amount of money in Texas, we see WAY too many LHN promotions. What is this? Year 8 or something?

4 minutes ago, Wayne said:

You are right. Bill Parcells once said “you are what your record says you are.”  And for the last decade in football and basketball  we’ve been mediocre at best and downright awful at worst. I for one am ready for a decade run of excellence in both sports. That’s the best way to shut up the talking (air)heads at ESPN. 

CTH may be able to pull it off. But Shaka sure as hell can't.

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Maybe true, but, this isn't the only offense ESPN commits on a day by day basis. I only watch ESPN or ESPN puppy stations when I have to. That includes LHN.

Speaking of LHN, I can't believe it gets no more advertising support than it does. With the amount of money in Texas, we see WAY too many LHN promotions. What is this? Year 8 or something?

LHN/ESPN pays us $20M per year.  Who the F cares what advertising support they get...the $ is guaranteed.  Frankly I've been seeing more sponsors/commercials from different vendors than I recall in the past so who knows.

Just now, Texas2725 said:

LHN/ESPN pays us $20M per year.  Who the F cares what advertising support they get...the $ is guaranteed.  Frankly I've been seeing more sponsors/commercials from different vendors than I recall in the past so who knows.

If its not profitable, when the contract is over, the network is over. People care a lot about money.

Just now, Sirhornsalot said:

If its not profitable, when the contract is over, the network is over. People care a lot about money.

Agreed, but I've never had the impression anyone thought this would even reach or go beyond the contract period.  It seemed to be an effort by ESPN to keep Texas from leaving the Big 12, but 20 years and $300M later was too good to pass up.

1 hour ago, Texas2725 said:

Agreed, but I've never had the impression anyone thought this would even reach or go beyond the contract period.  It seemed to be an effort by ESPN to keep Texas from leaving the Big 12, but 20 years and $300M later was too good to pass up.

Yeah, I suppose you get on the surf board when the waves come

13 minutes ago, MikeV73 said:

Glad we have new OC and DC so schemes will change and Fedora won’t be quite in the know to scheme against us.

My thoughts also.  OTOH, CTH may have a little more insight into Fedora's thinking. 

North south game over, NORTH Texas played a big part in north win ATM, Baylor, SMU and TCU players played well South was led by aa South Oregon QB. And by Texas WR who was severly under used.

23 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

North south game over, NORTH Texas played a big part in north win ATM, Baylor, SMU and TCU players played well South was led by aa South Oregon QB. And by Texas WR who was severly under used.

Fortunately the practices are more important than the game when it comes to evaluation.

RE Shaka Smart

I was told today that there is no "buy out" in the contract. Its a guaranteed contract. So we would need to pay the remainder of the contract, and the remainder of the assistant's contracts – then spend money on the new coach and staff.

If your eye is on Beard, we'd then have to pay his buyout in order to have him, in addition to what was listed above.

That's around $20-$23 million spent to have a new coach.

Would Texas spend that much on basketball?