Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

COVID-19 ALERT: All University of Texas Athletics competitions/games cancelled until Sunday March 29th
Baron

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-recruiting)

CBS WAY TOO EARLY TOP 25

TEXAS

This seems like a do or die season for Tom Herman. A rash of injuries doomed the Longhorns in 2019. The defense will have to get better in a conference that rips up the timid. Sam Ehlinger's decision to return makes Texas dangerous but too unreliable at the moment to put in the top 10.     

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-rankings-clemson-leads-ohio-state-in-way-too-early-top-25-ahead-of-2020-season/

4 hours ago, primal defense said:

CBS WAY TOO EARLY TOP 25

TEXAS

This seems like a do or die season for Tom Herman. A rash of injuries doomed the Longhorns in 2019. The defense will have to get better in a conference that rips up the timid. Sam Ehlinger's decision to return makes Texas dangerous but too unreliable at the moment to put in the top 10.     

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-rankings-clemson-leads-ohio-state-in-way-too-early-top-25-ahead-of-2020-season/

If I were a pollster, I would be hesitant to put Texas in the top 10 as well. 

Yet, if you take a look around the roster and starting line ups for next year, you see experience everywhere. Our secondary may again be our strength next year, or one of them.

Ehlinger at the helm of the offense will be exciting to watch. The key to EVERYTHING is your QB. It starts there. 

6 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

If I were a pollster, I would be hesitant to put Texas in the top 10 as well. 

Yet, if you take a look around the roster and starting line ups for next year, you see experience everywhere. Our secondary may again be our strength next year, or one of them.

Ehlinger at the helm of the offense will be exciting to watch. The key to EVERYTHING is your QB. It starts there. 

I can see the burnt orange Kool-Aid flowing SHA!  Good times!

On 1/12/2020 at 5:50 PM, MikeV73 said:

Need the offensive line to be solid and consistent with Bijan and Ingram carrying the ball next season.  I would like to see the power I with a FB at times.  Missing the FB Brown blocking for Ricky back in the day....good times.

We'll see Parker Braun go, but fills in with Okafor. I'm excited to see Okafor FINALLY get to play his natural position. The rest of the OL should be poised for a very good year. Play calling was a big problem for the OL last year and thats already solved.

From Yahoo Sports

14. Texas (8-5)

Texas’ win over Georgia in last year’s Sugar Bowl raised expectations exponentially for the Longhorns entering 2019. But maybe 2020 was the year for Texas’ ascension all along. Sam Ehlinger will be back at quarterback for his senior season. Though he loses his top two receivers, UT should be deep at running back and along the offensive line. As it showed in the Alamo Bowl, the defense could be a strength — especially with Joseph Ossai back at linebacker and stud safety Caden Sterns back at 100 percent health. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/yahoo-sports-absurdly-early-2020-college-football-preseason-top-25-062139050.html

13 minutes ago, primal defense said:

From Yahoo Sports

14. Texas (8-5)

Texas’ win over Georgia in last year’s Sugar Bowl raised expectations exponentially for the Longhorns entering 2019. But maybe 2020 was the year for Texas’ ascension all along. Sam Ehlinger will be back at quarterback for his senior season. Though he loses his top two receivers, UT should be deep at running back and along the offensive line. As it showed in the Alamo Bowl, the defense could be a strength — especially with Joseph Ossai back at linebacker and stud safety Caden Sterns back at 100 percent health. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/yahoo-sports-absurdly-early-2020-college-football-preseason-top-25-062139050.html

This would be the highest I would rank Texas. I can understand SHA's enthusiasm with all the returning starters. I would love to see us start around 16-18 and slowly move up the ranks as we bitch slap every opponent on our schedule. 😎

49 minutes ago, Baron said:

This would be the highest I would rank Texas. I can understand SHA's enthusiasm with all the returning starters. I would love to see us start around 16-18 and slowly move up the ranks as we bitch slap every opponent on our schedule. 😎

If we get by LSU and OU, it's on. I'll bring pitchers of orange Kool aid to this board and serve it up

SI Is not a believer.

21. Texas

Tom Herman shook up his staff after a disappointing 8-5 season. Quarterback Sam Ehlinger announced he’s coming back. Most of the defensive playmakers are back. The injury luck figures to be better this time around. And Matt Rhule’s departure at Baylor opens an opportunity to move back up the Big 12 pecking order. Still, the days of chronically overrating the Longhorns need to end until they prove they deserve better.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/01/15/early-top-25-rankings-clemson-ohio-state-alabama

13. Texas

It turns out Texas wasn’t all the way back, but the Longhorns are sure to make a bigger impression in 2020. Tom Herman rebooted his staff in the offseason, adding a pair of former Ohio State coaches in Chris Ash (defense) and Mike Yurcich (offense). The team returns quarterback Sam Ehlinger (3,663 yards) along with running backs Keaontay Ingram and Roschon Johnson. The challenge will be improving a defense that ranked No. 97 out of 130 teams in total defense.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college-gridiron-365/os-sp-2020-college-football-top-25-0114-20200114-ziutsnbmaffitkg3sizcysifo4-list.html