Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wes

There are rumblings that OC Bryan Harsin is recruiting a QB to transfer to Texas. His name is Tanner McEvoy and he played at Arizona Western Community College.

He was once a 3-star commit to South Carolina but transfered before this past season (his red shirt freshman season - he red shirted 2011) started because he was buried on the depth chart. Standing at 6'5", the kid was an interesting prospect out of New Jersey. He started just 1 year in high school, his senior year. "Tanner McEvoy threw for 2,264 yards and 32 touchdowns and rushed for 1,196 yards and 14 scores during his senior season at Bergen Catholic High School in Oradell, N.J." - Tanner McEvoy Profile - South Carolina Official Athletic Site

If I have these stats correct, in 7 games at Western Arizona Community College, Tanner McEvoy completed 106 of 158 passes for 1,568 yards, 21 TD's, and 3 Int's. *The first game of the season he completed 3 of 5 passes for 17 yards and 1 TD - must not have played that much. - Tanner McEvoy | #14 | QB | Arizona Western College - NJCAA Stats

I'm a fan of this move. Texas is still looking for a solid option under center and I'm a fan of bringing in anyone they can get while performing another QB competition this off-season. From looking at stats alone he seems like he is a pocket passer but can scramble if need be. But that is still to be determined.

Hook'em.

• Administrators

I would be down with bringing him in also but they should have done this last season IMO. We have two redshirt freshmen in Brewer and Overstreet waiting and Ash has 2 more years of eligibility and Case has one. Throw in Tyrone Swoopes and we are going to be log-jammed. McEvoy was 5th on the So-Cal depth chart too.

McEvoy had a little bit of extracurricular stuff going on before the season started too. He was arrested for drinking and driving like a bat out of hell (he is under 21 too). If the kid has an arm and the coaching staff sees something good I wouldn't mind bringing him in. Honestly I think we should have nabbed Bo Wallace......

I love the idea. I am going to be one pissed Horns fan if that joke of a QB Ash takes one more snap under center. Bringing in McEvoy would give the opportunity for these coaches to develop some of the talent on the bench. Since it appears UTs greatest problem is squandered talent which falls solely on the shoulders of the coaching staff. He seems tons more promising than the alternative. However Applewhite, as the QB coach, should be doing a better job. Failing to develop the talent we have or recruiting subpar talent is inexcusable.

• Administrators
I love the idea. I am going to be one pissed Horns fan if that joke of a QB Ash takes one more snap under center. Bringing in McEvoy would give the opportunity for these coaches to develop some of the talent on the bench. Since it appears UTs greatest problem is squandered talent which falls solely on the shoulders of the coaching staff. He seems tons more promising than the alternative. However Applewhite, as the QB coach, should be doing a better job. Failing to develop the talent we have or recruiting subpar talent is inexcusable.

You are absolutely right about Applewhite. I think he gets a free pass of sorts when it comes to criticism and everyone automatically bags on Harsin for the offensive woes. I think we are in the same boat next year if Ash or McCoy play. Mack said 2013 was the year this team gets back to national prominence. I am not so sure that is going to be accurate.

Mack is speaking but he is not saying anything... Pure and simple. Hes falling into the actual role of a politician, promise things that you cant deliver and hope that nobody calls your bluff. Well its time what we call his bluff. I dont want a politician, I want a Head Football coach. How can you make such bold statements? We dont have a QB that can win and be consistent, our D is the worst that I have seen, and severe player development issues(coaching). When in the history of college football has that equated to success?

No BBDUDE, I generally get "concerned" when there is a possibility that something may be taking place... However in this situation I am TERRIFIED because I, and you, know that our talent evaluation, especially at the QB position, is horrendous. Whomever brought Ash in should never be allowed to make a football decision ever again in his entire life. Yes, the couple you named are pretty bad to pass up. But to not even recruit Johnny Football? Ash playing football at UT infuriates me. There are tons of really good passers out there that I am positive would dump their schools to play for UT... Again why is Applewhite not getting shredded on the boards? He of all people in this situation has a ton to answer for. At this point he should lose the title of "quarterbacks coach." Give it up clown, youre not going to be handed a Colt or Vince every year! You may actually have to coach a kid up! Can he do that?

Applewhite isn't the QB. Harsin is.

UTK66, you are correct, I knew that Applewhite is the RB coach and misspoke. Thank you for correcting me. Replace each time that I said "Applewhite" with Harsin. However, them being CO-Offensive coordinators the responsibility ultimately lands on both of them. Something like "Hey Harsin, youre really F'ing up this QB situation. Could you do us a favor and fix it? Please and thank you."