Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

5 Thoughts Following The Loss To TCU

Daniel Seahorn

Another offensively challenged game in the books for the 2017 Texas Longhorns. Gary Patterson’s Horn Frogs once again came out on top over the Longhorns up in Fort Worth, as TCU extended their winning streak over Texas with a score of 24-7.

I predicted a relatively low scoring affair that had the Longhorns coming up just short due to their offensive struggles, but that didn’t make how things played out any less frustrating to watch unfold.

I feel like I am going to be repeating myself for the most part on some of my talking points, but here we go anyway.

·         7 Offensive Points

Doesn’t matter who you play, seven points from the offense is not going to get it done. I’m racking my brain for some positive takeaways for the offense, but the only things that come to mind is LJ Humphrey clearing the 100 yard mark with a nice catch and run and Shane Buechele somehow walking away from this game in one piece.

Buechele was under fire from the moment he took the first snap tonight and his offensive line allowed 7 sacks and several more hits and pressures. Texas is incredibly thin at quarterback and with the offensive line being one big turnstile; I will be impressed if the quarterbacks on the roster make it through this season in one piece. I know they are battered and bruised up front, but this is as bad of an offensive line that I’ve seen at Texas in my time following the program.

TCU’s defense has been pretty solid this year, but you have to find a way to be better than 7 points and 263 yards of total offense. Texas still lacks a run game, which allows TCU and others to flood the secondary with defenders, which makes it significantly harder for receivers to get open. Is 3.8 yards per play bad? It seems bad.

·         The defense continues to give winning effort, but has nothing to show for it

The group brings their hard hat and lunch pail to the yard every week. TCU is good offensive football team, and they held Kenny Hill under 150 yards pass, didn’t allow a 100 yard rusher (Darius Anderson came up just shy), and didn’t allow a receiver to have over 50 yards. In total Texas only allowed 343 yards of offense, and considering who they were playing that is pretty dang impressive and good enough to win the game if your offense has a pulse.

This group is playing sub-.500 football. Even when they get stuck on the field for long periods of time due to the offense not producing they still bow their necks and get stops time and time again. They may have spotted TCU some early points before getting their feet underneath them and also surrendered a short field TD late to Anderson, but this group shouldn’t hang their heads at all.

·         Dump the Wildcat package

This package has been ineffective regardless of who has been the trigger man under center. I honestly can’t remember a positive play out of this package since LJ Humphrey hit a nice run out of at against Maryland. It’s a very vanilla package and it’s not fooling anybody whatsoever. Either learn to throw out of it add some wrinkles or dump it and put something else in.

·         Texas needs to reopen their kicker competition

Josh Rowland short hopped a field goal tonight that a college kicker needs to be able to make. I know he has never been touted as having a big leg, but that was really ugly and is exactly why Tom Herman doesn’t have much confidence trotting him out there.

A better option may not exist on campus right now, but it is time to start holding Rowland’s feet to the fire like everyone else on scholarship in Austin.

·         The present is ugly, but the future is bright at running back

Texas has struggled to run the football all year long, but it’s hard not like what you see early from guys like Daniel Young and Toneil Carter. Both have looked like upgrades over Chris Warren and Kyle Porter and it continues to beg the question why we haven’t seen the sooner. If you add a guy like Keaontay Ingram to the mix with those two young backs, then I feel very optimistic about the ability to get production out of that group down the line.

Of course they will only go as far as the offensive line allows them to go, but there is no doubt in my mind a good amount of talent in that threesome.

The mighty Kansas Jayhawks roll into DKR next week. Lets hope the Texas offense is better than 7 points next week. It’s a game Texas SHOULD win every single year, but we all saw how that went last year in Lawrence.

Our OL is beyond comically bad.  It makes me wish we had "NCAA" Hughes still.

Sam was the best QB for this team.  I only say that because he provided us a running game.  Now that he has Concussion 1 that is out the window.  Shane also holds the ball to long when he does have time which is rare.  He needs to sling it when its 1v1 but instead he takes the sack.

Beck was a really bad hire.  If the OL was in tact and everyone was healthy I doubt our offense would be much better.  I am beginning to wonder how much of Herman's success was Orlando and Applewhite.  

On another note how many of us are disappointed in Herman's attention to details?  I am.  We still get costly "Illegal substitutions", PF's, and other stupid penalties that plagued the Strong teams.

Rowland needs to go back to the minors.  Nevermind this isnt MLB.

Really at the start of the season if you would have looked at the schedule, I think we are right about where I thought we would have been. Except I thought we would win against Maryland and possibly lose against Kansas St, so those two are kind of a push. The rest of the loses (Oklahoma, Okla St, TCU) were to top 10 teams. Coming off a 5-7 season there is no way that at the first of the year you could chalk those up as wins. People drink the Kool Aid of Tom Herman coming in and reading the offseason workout reports and start thinking all of a freaking sudden, we are going to win 10-11.....even heard one say 12 wins. Trust me, I want them to win as bad as anyone, but you have to set the burnt orange colored glasses down and look at reality. We are about where we should be especially with all the injuries to the O-Line. Need to win 2 out of the last 3 (all are winnable) go to a bowl, win the bowl, and come in with a top 5 recruiting class and things should get quite a bit better next year. 

The only win will be Kansas and it's not a sure thing (see 2016). Going to a bowl (which ain't gonna happen) would only add one more pathetic loss to a miserable season. Feels like a jackass caught in a Texas hailstorm..........nowhere to hide....nowhere to go.......and you can't make it stop. 

As for scrapping the Wildcat maybe a new coaching approach, LSU scored on mighty Alabama with it. A good

OL could help. One thigh is troubling me is it the players not as good or it the coaching something is wrong and it needs fixed.

Only time will tell.

1 hour ago, Eastexhorn said:

As for scrapping the Wildcat maybe a new coaching approach, LSU scored on mighty Alabama with it. A good

OL could help. One thigh is troubling me is it the players not as good or it the coaching something is wrong and it needs fixed.

Only time will tell.

The package can be effective if you provide enough wrinkles to keep the defense honest. Texas runs two to three plays max out of it and that’s not going to fool anyone. 

"Doesn’t matter who you play, seven points from the offense is not going to get it done. I’m racking my brain for some positive takeaways for the offense, but the only things that come to mind is LJ Humphrey clearing the 100 yard mark with a nice catch and run and Shane Buechele somehow walking away from this game in one piece."

You nailed it. 

Buechele showed me something, toughness wise. He may be a bit fragile, but he's a player. I still think Sam is better in this offensive offense. But Shane would be welcome in my foxhole anytime.

You and I both said before the season Humphrey could make some noise. Kid just makes something out of nothing, again and again.

We should consider giving our tackles more help in pass blocking when left on the island. Found three plays where our interior three made certain TCU’s one nose didn’t force a QBH while leaving the OT’s to fend for themselves.

77—Vahe—C___(Fail)

64—McMillon—C___(Fail)

75—Nickelson—-C-___(Fail)

68—Kerstetter—D+___(Fail)

51—Cuney—D-___(Fail)

http://insidetexas.com/coach-vs-grades-tcu/

2 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

"Doesn’t matter who you play, seven points from the offense is not going to get it done. I’m racking my brain for some positive takeaways for the offense, but the only things that come to mind is LJ Humphrey clearing the 100 yard mark with a nice catch and run and Shane Buechele somehow walking away from this game in one piece."

You nailed it. 

Buechele showed me something, toughness wise. He may be a bit fragile, but he's a player. I still think Sam is better in this offensive offense. But Shane would be welcome in my foxhole anytime.

You and I both said before the season Humphrey could make some noise. Kid just makes something out of nothing, again and again.

LJ is going to be a player for Texas. Just needs to keep coming along and continued to get worked into the gameplan. 

1 hour ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

I should have saved myself a bullet point for the charlie fox of a review in which Texas was retroactively taxed with a penalty when no flag was thrown initially. I’ve never in my life seen that happen before on a football field. 

I just looked through the rulebook, and it's not a reviewable play. The only times they can "create a foul" is stuff like forward pass beyond the neutral zone, blocking early on an onside kick, too many men on the field, illegal touching after going out of bounds, and targeting.

3 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Buechele is terrible.  The throw in the 4th was his only good throw of the day.  The game was over.

The two completions in Texas’ scoring drive were 50/50 balls.  The plays being made were by the WRs.  Period.

I agree that he showed toughness.  I admire him for that.  He is a bad QB.

1 hour ago, Ryan Bridges said:

I just looked through the rulebook, and it's not a reviewable play. The only times they can "create a foul" is stuff like forward pass beyond the neutral zone, blocking early on an onside kick, too many men on the field, illegal touching after going out of bounds, and targeting.

This only solidifies my thoughts when it was all happening. The refs completely botched that ordeal. 

1 hour ago, Embrey said:

Buechele is terrible.  The throw in the 4th was his only good throw of the day.  The game was over.

The two completions in Texas’ scoring drive were 50/50 balls.  The plays being made were by the WRs.  Period.

I agree that he showed toughness.  I admire him for that.  He is a bad QB.

While he is certainly not an elite QB, he is neither terrible nor a bad QB. 

With a functional offensive line, WR's who can get open (and ours don't), and RB's who can break tackles and make the defense miss, he would be above average. Again, not elite, but he would certainly be good enough. 

Not that this means anything...

In-conference losses are three, to these teams. Current 5-Nov standings and rankings.

#5,  8-1 Blow-U
avg 48pt, scored 29 on Horns

#8, 8-1 TCU
avg 37pt, scored 24 on Horns
Shut down for long stretch after early 10pt lead.
Cashed in a late TD.

#12, 7-2 Ok-State
avg 49 pt, scored 13 on Horns  (10 in regulation)

Combined record of the three: 23-4

Add this Horns loss: #15, 8-2 USC
Oddly, the Maryland loss was the widest margin, and scored the most on Texas.

Discounting opening loss to Maryland those four loses are to current Top 15 teams. (Contrasting that to beating a then-ranked team that falls far by mid-season if not out of the Top 25)

On the field Texas is  not getting blown out and destroyed -- but losing by one TD average to top-ranked teams (omitting Maryland in my analysis). With maybe the worst offense, by production and by appearance one can possibly imagine.

The offense is so tepid it makes the entire game look as if we are being crushed by 3-4 scores.

How important would it have been to hold off USC from scoring in the final 45 seconds? Could have carried over to the late lead against OU... over to the OT snafu against tOSU...   Just hope those four "near losses" by avg of one TD does not infuse an attitude of not winning.

I'm just tying to keep in perspective that those four losses I just described are to Top 15 teams this late in the season, two in the Top 8, and a combined record of 31-6.  Texas average loss to those four: 7.0 pts.  With no offense.

How's that for a TexAgs moral write-up!!!

Edited by Epictetus
some fixes

10 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Rumors are out there that Beck has been relieved of play-calling duties. 

This annoys the daylights out of me on two fronts that seem to contrast:

First, "we're Texas!"  "We have more money than the Vatican."  No coach is off the table:  Nick Saban, Jon Gruden, John Harbaugh.... Yet Tim Beck was hired to be the offensive coordinator for the University of Texas?  Tim Beck called plays at Ohio State for one season and then lost those privileges.  And this elite program saw fit to place him in that role here?  I justified this, at the time, by saying, "this will be Herman's offense, he will be running it."  Like him or not, Urban Meyer is a cut throat winner and he cut bait with Beck as OC / play caller. To be shuffling the staff mid-season of year one (if true) represents a Head Coaching failure at one of his primary responsibilities; hiring a supporting cast! 

Second, to blame the hapless offense on play calling is crazy enhanced with steroids!  If you have the stomach for it, replay any football game since Kansas State and just watch the Offensive Line.  Opposing defenders being double teamed as a part of a three man rush sac our Quarterback because we are unable to hold THAT BLOCK!  We are beaten physically and make mental errors leaving defenders unblocked.  I disagree with Kirk Bohls.... this IS absolutely the worst offensive line in the history of Longhorn football.  I don't know if it is personnel, coaching, injuries or a combination of all three, but to "fix the offense" with a mid-season change of who is calling the plays is ridiculous.  

Maybe this is a precursor (if true) to Tim Beck being fired.  Well, even this is infuriating.  We had a good offense when Herman (offensive guru) arrived.  A good offense with:  Vahe, McMillan, Shackelford and Nicholson all playing prominent roles.  Yet Gilbert and his OL coach weren't considered and are now doing similar things somewhere in Florida.  And ditto to the idea that Buchelle stinks as a QB.... how can this even be evaluated? 

We'd better empty the "Vatican vault" to keep Orlando here, because if our defense looked similar to it's two predecessors we'd be discussing the worst Texas team in my lifetime.     

9 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

This annoys the daylights out of me on two fronts that seem to contrast:

First, "we're Texas!"  "We have more money than the Vatican."  No coach is off the table:  Nick Saban, Jon Gruden, John Harbaugh.... Yet Tim Beck was hired to be the offensive coordinator for the University of Texas?  Tim Beck called plays for Ohio State for one season and then lost those privileges.  And this elite program saw fit to place him in that role here?  I justified this, at the time, by saying, "this will be Herman's offense, he will be running it."  Like him or not, Urban Meyer is a cut throat winner and he cut bait with Beck. To be shuffling the staff mid-season of year one (if true) represents a failure of one of the head coaches primary responsibilities, hiring a supporting cast! 

Second, to blame what is occurring on offense on play calling is crazy enhanced with steroids!  If you have the stomach for it, replay any football game since Kansas State and just watch the Offensive Line.  Opposing defenders being double teamed as a part of a three man rush sac our Quarterback because we are unable to hold THAT BLOCK!  We are beaten physically and make mental errors leaving defenders unblocked.  I disagree with Kirk Bohls.... this IS absolutely the worst offensive line in the history of Longhorn football.  I don't know if it is personnel, coaching, injuries or a combination of all three, but to "fix the offense" with a mid-season change of who is calling the plays is ridiculous.  

Maybe this is a precursor (if true) to Tim Beck being fired.  Well, even this is infuriating.  We had a good offense when Herman (offensive guru) arrived.  A good offense with:  Vahe, McMillan, Shackelford and Nicholson all playing prominent roles.  Yet Gilbert and his OL coach weren't considered and are now doing similar things somewhere in Florida.  And ditto to the idea that Buchelle stinks as a QB.... how can this even be evaluated? 

We'd better empty the "Vatican vault" to keep Orlando here, because if our defense looked similar to it's two predecessors we'd be discussing the worst Texas team in my lifetime.     

Tim Beck is a respected football coach and very popular amongst very fickle high school coaches around Texas.  Maybe "play calling" isn't his thing?  If that is true, then evaluation ought to be made on the person who just hired him to fill that role here. 

I'm not in favor of a coach losing his job when personnel available is directly responsible for play calling options.  I hope Tom Herman isn't the type of coach to make a move like that because supporters call for it and the move itself would lead people to believe that is the only issue.  I would have more respect for Herman to stick with his original hire and show those picking the low hanging fruit what the offense can do when healthy.  I don't know what Beck's ceiling is with a healthy offense, but you could bring in anyone that you would like and sit him in this situation and it would look exactly the same.

Saturdays game proved to me that we currently have above average talent...above average aint gonna cut it...this team will look drastically different next year and then the following year..The coaching staff is doing its best to stay in the game with less than blue chip talent..With the exception of a few first team All Conference players on defense , there are no such athletes on offense...

Asking Hermann and staff to make a winner of CS recruits is unrealistic, the program got used to losing and its hard to shake that DNA, TCU was the first game that the Horns were never in a position to win..Never thought I would see a day that TCU would dominate Texas this many years in a row, like a bad dream...

Not throwing in the towel, but ready to change the identity of this one..