Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

COVID-19 ALERT: All University of Texas Athletics competitions/games cancelled until Sunday March 29th
Sign in to follow this  
joeywa

Astros World Series

13 hours ago, Epictetus said:

A lot of baseball is about stories, so... here goes....

Wrap up... My brother (from Nacogdoches, me in Austin) texted through the series. So I am texting that I won't call right after the game.... there were 2 out and one more out needed to close the thing...so we can watch the wrap-up uninterrupted.. when the final hit ball went into play... had my head down looking at the phone but heard it... immediately glanced up in time to see the fielding and throw. BUT... I missed seeing the pitch and swing LIVE as it happened. Lesson: nothing beats real time in anything. I can never recover that moment, only replay it. So the final play that won it... I was looking at the face of a freaking phone. Texting.

Second, I'm among those who enjoyed tonight having been to the Astrodome when they were Colt 45s.  Dumbest thing I ever did back then (or where they Astros by then?)... went to an afternoon weekend game to see... get this... Valenzuela pitch. He was a big deal then. One of the few games I ever saw. I did not go to many. Maybe went to 3-4 games in my life. Irony that it was the Dodgers!!  But... the biggest irony.. next day's game I missed the next day...  having focused on seeing Valenzuela pitching ... Nolan Ryan pitched a no-hitter that Sunday afternoon.

Some time later, Ryan is pitching against the Phillies to try and win the American League flag. Hit ball to the mound, he reaches for the ball just enough to deflect and impede it's progress for someone else to make a play, and he doesn't make a play. I think bases loaded, and the game got away after that. Game proceeds and Houston loses and do not make it to the series. I'm at a bar on Westheimer and almost cried, mostly for the players and their disappointment.

Tonight was sweet. I have in my drawer. Still. The ticket stub to the only World Series I ever saw. Fenway Park. Red Sox and Cardinals. I was in the Air Force on Cape Cod at the time. A guy who had to fly and couldn't use his tickets gave em to me and a buddy. 7th game. Carl Yastrzemski was the main man for Red Sox. Gibson was on the mound for Cardinals. Who won. So I experienced being in the stands losing a World Series. Tonight at home got to experience winning one. Long journey for that to happen. Of course I learned to despise the Cardinals. ...

.... who swept the Astros not long ago. And,..  that completes the circle of my Colt 45 / Astro / World Series experiences. Stros win! Stros win! Stros win! (play on a phrase, if you happen to know it)

And one final note on it... Nov 1st is my birthday!!  Could not have been a more unique moment in sports for me. Kinda like... "4th and national championship..."

I was at the Astros game the next day and saw Ryan throw the no-hitter!  Easily the best baseball game I've ever seen, lost my voice from yelling and couldn't talk for a day or so after.  As for ticket stubs, I love baseball and lost the stub for the no-hitter while my sister, who hates sports in general, still has hers.  Damn.

18 minutes ago, Oldmanastro said:

Yes, SI predicted it, and also said Springer would be the MVP! 

Unlike some have reported, as i remember, George Springer was already in the Astro system when Crane bought the team.  

After suffering thru 3 one hundred losing seasons, I'm not sure how to react to a world series championship.   What is going to really hurt is when the Astros are unable resign several of their young players to new contracts.

43 minutes ago, gmcc said:

Unlike some have reported, as i remember, George Springer was already in the Astro system when Crane bought the team.  

After suffering thru 3 one hundred losing seasons, I'm not sure how to react to a world series championship.   What is going to really hurt is when the Astros are unable resign several of their young players to new contracts.

I just wish for an adequate income that: players loved each other, the team, the franchise, where they live, management and ownership, and would sign for whatever it takes to remain -- and owners would do their part to "make it so."  But then, I'm not in that position so can only speak from the outside.

I just realized overnight that in accomplishing this, the Astros beat three classic programs: Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers. Just think of the legendary players for all three of those. We're talking all-time. Doesn't get any classier. This makes up for so many disappointments for a long, long time.