Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who's Starting QB vs Baylor???

DBut82

I know it's "only" Tuesday, but do we have any idea who our starting quarterback is vs Baylor? Sam has a concussion which probably means he's a no go. Shane is still wearing a walking boot due to  sprained ankle.  I'm sure he could go but does Herman really wanna put a sitting duck behind this oline???  I know Heard is taking snaps at qb, and as dynamic as he can be running the football, can he with a limited playbook produce a win in Waco?  We're up against it this week fellow fans!  Personally, I's like to see Heard get the start. What are y'alls thoughts???  HOOK 'EM!!!

Shane needs to start if Sam can. Herman said he is throwing a lot harder off his right foot and as good as he can get health wise. If Heard starts we are doomed. I know everyone loves him on here but he will get no where with the o-line we have. No where. Need someone thT can throw the football. Get it off quick.if Heard starts we may be down to 4th string covey and I mean that. 

I definitely agree that if Shane is healthy that you start him.  A limited week of practice is definitely not how you prepare Heard to start a game in over 2 years.  But I also think Heard brings advantages that a hobbled Shane can't.  I also really think Heard has been given more reps under center than Herman will ever allow us to believe.  That oline couldn't protect Shane when he was healthy.  Can you imagine what trouble Shane is in with an injured ankle???  If the game plan calls for 3 step drops, quick passes and screens then hopefully Shane can survive.

48 minutes ago, okiehorn said:

Shane needs to start if Sam can. Herman said he is throwing a lot harder off his right foot and as good as he can get health wise. If Heard starts we are doomed. I know everyone loves him on here but he will get no where with the o-line we have. No where. Need someone thT can throw the football. Get it off quick.if Heard starts we may be down to 4th string covey and I mean that. 

I agree. Shane must start on Saturday if Sam can't and he most likely will. TH said that he is pretty much good to go, has been recovering nicely, and is almost back to 100%. 

Baylor's front seven isn't as good as the ones we have faced in the last couple of weeks, so this might be the ideal game for Shane to step in. I think we probably will see some of Heard in some red zone packages or some other wildcat stuff mixed in. In terms of game plan, TH said a nice line in his presser. He said something like, no matter what you do, you always need some kind of blocking. Plus he said, playing Shane would open up a greater part of the play book. So I think some quick releases should definitely be on the list. The rest pretty much depends if we can protect Shane enough for some deeper shots and take some pressure of him with the run game.

If totally healthy, you start Shane. Just not convinced that he is. 

Heard would be practicing exclusively at QB and it would be a crash course as I think chances are good that he HAS to finish the year as the starting QB. And I'll go ahead and say it again. It was a mistake not moving him back to QB full-time in the spring. 

Just now, North Texas Golfer said:

If totally healthy, you start Shane. Just not convinced that he is. 

Heard would be practicing exclusively at QB and it would be a crash course as I think chances are good that he HAS to finish the year as the starting QB. And I'll go ahead and say it again. It was a mistake not moving him back to QB full-time in the spring. 

I agree with everything you said here.  I also doubt Shane is completely healthy... 

8 minutes ago, Dbut82 said:

I get that but if you're healthy you don't wear a boot...

Obviously I don’t know anything but I think he is healthy. Was just a easy way out for Herman to start Sam. As big of a fan to Sam as I am, I have been amazed at how many anti sam supporters there are. But I believe this is a good problem to have. Can’t be bad when fans like both your back up and starter

57 minutes ago, DMAC said:

Better sit Sam or hes another Ash.  Go with Shane and if Shane gets hurt then run Heard.

I really hate this for Sam. Concussions are so iffy that you have to really consider benching him for the remainder of the season. Seriously, one more hit could possibly ruin the kid. I also hate the idea of trotting a hobbled Shane out there behind that oline. He took a hit against HoeU and damn near lost the ball. Without a healthy ankle he's really a sitting duck. Then you have to throw Heard in the mix with minimal game prep. Since Shane at least has a grasp of the offense, I think you give Heard 1st team reps and get a firm grasp on whathe can handle. He may be your starting QB for the remainder of the season if worse comes to worse...

its quite simple, you go with the HEALTHIEST QB, if you rush someone back then where are you at, you are left with an unprepared QB or you risk a long term injury or worse..If Sam is in concussion protocol then he is OUT..period...You are then left with Shane and Heard...Look at the big overall picture and long term what is best for the team and the health of the athlete... IMO you start Heard

2 hours ago, mctmatt said:

Was the year before last that Baylor had no QB so they basically put their best athlete back to take deep snaps and just let him run the ball with an now and again deep pass to keep the secondary honest.  Texas won the game but I think Baylor almost pulled out a win . 

Yes, you're correct.  Except if this were to happen, our "best athlete" has actually started games at QB and broke Vince Young's single game total offense record...

You start Shane and have Jerrod ready to go. Sam is the long term answer at the position and is there no reason to rush him back and play around with the concussion issue. If you send Jerrod out there though, for the love of God, give him some simple passing plays. If you don't let him throw, you're setting him up to fail as the defense will just load the box.

Sorry but I don’t agree with the folks that are saying Jerrod heard. He may have broke Vince’s record but he didn’t do it with this line. Maybe he will prove me wrong but that package has done nothing this year. Maybe if they’ll let him throw some but that’s the only way. And they dont allow that

27 minutes ago, okiehorn said:

Sorry but I don’t agree with the folks that are saying Jerrod heard. He may have broke Vince’s record but he didn’t do it with this line. Maybe he will prove me wrong but that package has done nothing this year. Maybe if they’ll let him throw some but that’s the only way. And they dont allow that

I totally understand your point.  I say Heard mainly because neither of our other QB's are healthy.  But if Shane is healthy enough you start him.  But you HAVE to have Heard ready.  I believe that with a decent and limited game plan, Heard can be effective.  It becomes more than a "package" at that point.  He's your guy so you prepare him as such.  I also believe Heard being a running threat will open holes in the run game.  Remember how effective Benson was after Vince became the full time starter.  Of course not to that extent but I definitely believe Heard/Warren/Carter can rack up yards on the ground...