Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Injury Update - Post OSU


Aaron Carrara
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Administrators

Per the University, Longhorn freshman QB Sam Ehlinger and sophomore C Zach Shackelford are being evaluated by the Texas medical staff for head injuries sustained in the Oklahoma State game on Saturday and both were held out of practice on Sunday. Redshirt freshman WR Reggie Hemphill-Mapps also was held out of Sunday's practice due to a knee injury he sustained in the game.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Soon as I heard Ehlinger was out of practice due to head injury my mind raced back to the play when his helmet hit the ground (not as bad, but similar to the last time) at which time I thought he would come out and Shane would go in. That did not happen, so my next immediate thought this evening was... could that explain his judgment when he threw on 3rd and 4 at the 6?  The moment he threw and I saw the ball arch like a rainbow and hang a long time before coming down.... it seemed so eerily unfathomable, as strange as seeing a player getting turned around in a pile and ending up running the wrong way toward the opposing teams goal.

My stomach felt like a bowling ball landed inside. I was spinning thinking... I did not see that. I did not see that. How on earth in a million years could that happen.

Much as I had gotten behind Ehlinger after the USC game, I now favor Shane playing the rest of the way. And Jerrod Heard should have packages inside the red zone when the playing distance shortens for passing routes. Motion plays with speed to the outside is now required. No 18-Wheeler package for off tackle pushes. And this season we don't need Ehlinger running anymore than necessary. I favor for now not even playing him.

Start with Baylor getting Shane ready for the last 5 games, and work Jerrod in for more offense. I suggest biting the lower lip and putting #30 in for passing plays that gets him in open spaces even near the line of scrimmage. There is a lot that can be done with this offense I don't care who is lining up. The offense from tackle-to-tackle does not need to push people all over the field. Just contact and contain long enough for speed and motion to get going and the ball to get out of the QBs hands very fast. Now is the time for innovation and play offense with what you got, not necessarily what you'd like to see. Wait til next year for that.

 

 

 

Edited by Epictetus
correct a typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, okiehorn said:

Oh boy.... this season just isn’t goin as planned. Thank you O-Line 

I still dont understand why this line cant block up the middle.  We have now killed 2 QBs.

The coaches have to be examined here and stop with all "they dont have anything to work with" bullshit. 

3 Starters from last year are available as we speak and all of sudden they cant block after being #16 in FBS in rushing last year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, DMAC said:

I still dont understand why this line cant block up the middle.  We have now killed 2 QBs.

The coaches have to be examined here and stop with all "they dont have anything to work with" bullshit. 

3 Starters from last year are available as we speak and all of sudden they cant block after being #16 in FBS in rushing last year.

At this rate 4th string QB coney better be getting snaps. What a disappointment..walking down the walk way Saturday all I heard was “in 2 years this team......” screw that, that’s to far away. We are the University of Texas

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The really bad news is such a thin OL crop this year and most OL players dont transition well for a minimum of 2 years.  Thats 3 years.  But lets keep plugging guys into whatever blocking scheme that isnt working.  Herman likes to use the insanity definition but fails to adhere to it.  Instead we just blame the one freshman on the edge or Cuney.

I would start these guys

LT Kerstetter (moved from RT)

LG Vahe

C Shack (Cuney as backup)

RG Okafor (preferrably McMillon if available)

RT Tristan.  He seemed better at RT than he has at LT

Moore at TE

Pound the rock with Warren and Carter. 

Play Heard at QB and Lil J in wildcat. 

Maybe even Carter in wildcat with Porter blocking.   

As of right now its pass pass pass punt anyways and more empty sets with QB suicide runs from Beck and Co.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Captain Hookem said:

What play last Saturday did he hit his head? I didn't see it, or notice at the time it was more serious.  

Yea, when he laid there and looked unconscious for a few minutes. But maybe your being sarcastic lol Idk. But yea he got drilled and there’s a lot of folks curious. 

 

Also just finsihed watvhing the press conference, I normally can’t wait till there on YouTube. Now it’s just Herman saying the same exact things every single week. It’s getting old. Obviously he wants to win but getting tough to listen to

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DMAC said:

The really bad news is such a thin OL crop this year and most OL players dont transition well for a minimum of 2 years.  Thats 3 years.  But lets keep plugging guys into whatever blocking scheme that isnt working.  Herman likes to use the insanity definition but fails to adhere to it.  Instead we just blame the one freshman on the edge or Cuney.

I would start these guys

LT Kerstetter (moved from RT)

LG Vahe

C Shack (Cuney as backup)

RG Okafor (preferrably McMillon if available)

RT Tristan.  He seemed better at RT than he has at LT

Moore at TE

Pound the rock with Warren and Carter. 

Play Heard at QB and Lil J in wildcat. 

Maybe even Carter in wildcat with Porter blocking.   

As of right now its pass pass pass punt anyways and more empty sets with QB suicide runs from Beck and Co.

 

I like that line as well as any I have seen. I also think that the wildcat might be the ticket. Hell...Baylor last year ran it for almost a half against us with a WR that might never have played it before and they ate us up with it. I dont mean they ran it sometimes....I mean they ran it every damned play.

 

Of course, I think with Shane running the offense from the start we might be able to complete a few passes anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DMAC said:

The really bad news is such a thin OL crop this year and most OL players dont transition well for a minimum of 2 years.  Thats 3 years.  But lets keep plugging guys into whatever blocking scheme that isnt working.  Herman likes to use the insanity definition but fails to adhere to it.  Instead we just blame the one freshman on the edge or Cuney.

I would start these guys

LT Kerstetter (moved from RT)

LG Vahe

C Shack (Cuney as backup)

RG Okafor (preferrably McMillon if available)

RT Tristan.  He seemed better at RT than he has at LT

Moore at TE

Pound the rock with Warren and Carter. 

Play Heard at QB and Lil J in wildcat. 

Maybe even Carter in wildcat with Porter blocking.   

As of right now its pass pass pass punt anyways and more empty sets with QB suicide runs from Beck and Co.

So Heard instead of Shane? Or just make sure to play Heard at QB?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, prosfromdover said:

So Heard instead of Shane? Or just make sure to play Heard at QB?

I am talking wildcat.  Shane wouldnt survive at wildcat.  I read here somewhere Heard has moved back to QB again this week due to Sam's injury

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

Ehlinger and Shackleford are in concussion protocol.

Not sure what the college rule is but UIL you're out 10 days min. If college is the same, they are out against Baylor.

There was a play late in the game where it appeared Sam got his bell rung on the OSU sideline and it took him a bit to bounce back up. I was at the game so I didn't see the replay.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, tejasrulz said:

Not sure what the college rule is but UIL you're out 10 days min. If college is the same, they are out against Baylor.

There was a play late in the game where it appeared Sam got his bell rung on the OSU sideline and it took him a bit to bounce back up. I was at the game so I didn't see the replay.

That’s the exact play I’m thinkin of. I was up high but I didn’t think he was getting up

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Captain Hookem said:

Ok, I'm confused. I knew about the hit against OU, but there have also been mentions of a hit against OSU as well that Ehlinger took to the head. I don't remember him taking a hit like that against OSU. 

There was a hit late in the 4th Quarter on the boundary his head slammed into the turf.  He got up a lil slow and even the announcers mentioned it and replayed it.  His head hit the turf which was very similar to the play he hit his head vs ou.

@Adferrum has the play above.  It was overtime

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

🏈 Texas vs. Baylor

  • Days
  • Hours
  • Minutes
  • Seconds

McLane Stadium
Waco, TX
Kickoff Time TBA - TV TBA

  • 2021 Texas Football Schedule

    Week
    Opponent
    W/L
    9/4
    Louisiana
    W 38-18
    9/11
    @Arkansas
    L 21-40
    9/18
    Rice
    W 58-0
    9/25
    Texas Tech
    W 70-35
    10/2
    @TCU
    W 32-27
    10/9
    Oklahoma
    L 48-55
    10/16
    Oklahoma State
    L 24-32
    10/30
    @Baylor
    11/6
    @Iowa State
    11/13
    Kansas
    11/20
    @West Virginia
    11/27
    Kansas State

Our Affiliation

USATDP_Logo.png

Quick Links

×
×
  • Create New...