Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

COVID-19 ALERT: All University of Texas Athletics competitions/games cancelled until Sunday March 29th
Sign in to follow this  
Harrison Wier

Five Quick Thoughts: Iowa State (by Jameson McCausland)

1. Chris Warren gets his carries, but the running game is still struggling

It become obvious during the first drive that Tom Herman and Tim Beck were not going to let Chris Warren go virtually unused for the second straight game. Warren carried the ball 16 times for 48 yards and added 2 catches for 23 yards. Outside of Warren, the running game struggled again. Toneil Carter needs to see more carries going forward. I will give credit to Kyle Porter, who gained the tough yards in the 4th quarter when Texas ran out the clock. Going forward, the Texas offense is going to continue to struggle scoring if they are this one-dimensional.

2. The lack of offensive execution

I have defended Tim Beck and the offense through the first 3 games of the year, but Texas can not continue to show the type of offensive performances they have the past 2 games. Against Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU and West Virginia, the Texas defense is going to allow points. The offense has to find a way to string together drives. I am not entirely sure if inserting Sam Ehlinger is the answer. Right now, the quarterback is not in a position to succeed in the Texas offense.

3. The Offensive Line

Despite Iowa State rushing 3 and dropping 8 back most of the night, I was underwhelmed with the performance of the offensive line. Tristan Nickelson and Derek Kerstetter committed numerous holding penalties, and Nickelson in particular struggled mightily. Texas simply has to scrap all runs in the playbook that go outside the tackle to the left side because nearly every time it results in either a negative play or a hold called on the LT. There were a few positives I took away, too. Aside from the second half penalties, freshman Derek Kerstetter played very well and gives the Longhorns something they can work with at right tackle. At this point of the season the offensive line is average, and they played that way against Iowa State.

4. Penalties

The amount of penalties committed by the Longhorns is alarming. The worst part is that many of these penalties are happening 5-10 yards away from the play. In particular, the penalties on special teams need to corrected quickly. Fans can talk about the offensive play-calling all they want, but it’s hard to call plays when there is a holding or false start penalty seemingly every other play. Texas was lucky to escape with a road win after committing 10 penalties.

5. DeShon Elliott shines again

I think it is safe to say that DeShon Elliott has turned the corner. The junior had 2 more interceptions tonight and a sack. He also played excellent against the run. Elliott is playing at an all-conference level right now, and is one of the main reasons the Texas defense is playing as well as they are. There is no doubt that this is the player that fans were expecting the past 2 years.

As fans we'll bitch about Beck and the O. And there's some bitching to be done. 

For me? A road conference W feels pretty good. 

The D looks pretty damn good. And how about some love for Rowland. (Hint...he's the kicker). Can't say I was confident on the 49 that pretty well locked up the game. 

Just win baby. 

The defense deserves every game ball the staff hands out tonight. They earned their keep. 

The offense... not so much. Kerstetter may end up being a pleasant surprise if he can lock down the right tackle spot. 

The offense as a whole lacks any kind of rhythm, flow or identity. Shane is a tough kid, but man I feel like he’s a hit away from being back on the shelf. Especially after some of the shots he took tonight. 

6 minutes ago, streettopeschel said:

As fans we'll bitch about Beck and the O. And there's some bitching to be done. 

For me? A road conference W feels pretty good. 

The D looks pretty damn good. And how about some love for Rowland. (Hint...he's the kicker). Can't say I was confident on the 49 that pretty well locked up the game. 

Just win baby. 

If there was a 6th thought, it was going to be about the special teams. The only reason Texas won this game tonight was because of defense and special teams. The return units were okay, but Dickson and Rowland both deserve a game ball. 

Texas better find some offense or we will be lucky to finish 6-6.   

Can we trade Beck for 2 starting OT's?

Warren is a terrible blocker.  That is putting it lightly.  Porter's running ability is dismal.  Carter is the best option.

Sam might have been the best option last night.  He probably gets more yards on runs than Shane did since they were basically daring Shane to run it.

19 minutes ago, DMAC said:

Texas better find some offense or we will be lucky to finish 6-6.   

Can we trade Beck for 2 starting OT's?

Warren is a terrible blocker.  That is putting it lightly.  Porter's running ability is dismal.  Carter is the best option.

Sam might have been the best option last night.  He probably gets more yards on runs than Shane did since they were basically daring Shane to run it.

Carter will definitely see more playing time going forward. The simple reality is that right now no Texas running back is going to look good because of how the offensive line is blocking.

A couple of things...

1. Rowlands kick offs....before last night he had never reached the end zone that I remember, but last night everyone was deep.

2.Boyd had his best game ever. His man Lazzard is the real deal and he held him in check.

.3. It is said that even Deon Sanders cant keep his man guarded forever, but apparantly the Iowa State secondary can....all night. Are our guys just standing in place?

4. CWIII is as unimpressive running the ball as Porter.

7 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

A couple of things...

1. Rowlands kick offs....before last night he had never reached the end zone that I remember, but last night everyone was deep.

2.Boyd had his best game ever. His man Lazzard is the real deal and he held him in check.

.3. It is said that even Deon Sanders cant keep his man guarded forever, but apparantly the Iowa State secondary can....all night. Are our guys just standing in place?

Boyd played great.  Our defense is carrying this team.

I say play Carter ahead of Porter and Warren.

6 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

A couple of things...

I agree with all those points, especially about Boyd. He still had his moments that had people frustrated, but he played well. No play is more evident of his progress then when he didn’t bite on the RB pass that they tried to throw to Lazard. If he hesitates even for a second, Lazard blows by him and the RB has an easy pass for a TD. 

The secondary has really come together the past two games. Elliott is playing at an elite level and part of that is due to the corners. I have been tough on Chris Boyd because I had high expectations for him, he is starting to play to his ability.

Our "fat" DT's are wrecking havoc up front. On several occasions when a ball carrier is forced out of bounds or tackled on the sideline our DT's are right in the middle of the action. Poona Ford and friends are playing with a lot of energy and it is paying off everywhere on the defensive side of the ball.

I wish I could see the whole field during our pass plays. Its hard to believe that no one could get open with the amount of time Shane had on a couple of plays. He reminds me at times of Matt Schaub when he played for Houston. He wants to be extremely efficient (borderline perfect) when throwing to a receiver. I appreciate a QB not being careless but sometimes they must take some chances. I would prefer the chances be taken down the sideline instead of in the middle of the field (last nights pick) but counting to three and dumping it to the outlet receiver wont loosen the defense.

I wonder if we script the offensive plays at the beginning of games. We seemed to have a purpose the first couple of drives last night. As the game progressed we looked lost. It seemed like were just guessing to find something that might work. Our O line is atrocious but the lack of a focused attack plan magnifies the issue. We never did anything to make the ISU defense adjust. We were reacting to them instead of making them react to us. Like the great Coach Yoast said "He's onto your game. You got to throw something at him he's not ready for."

Our rush defense currently ranks #16 in FBS

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/24

RANK TEAM G OPP RUSH OPP RUSH YDS YDS/RUSH OPP RUSH TDS YPG
16 Texas 4 118 386 3.27 4 96.5

The one offset is the Maryland game which we gave up 260+ yards.  The last three games we are

RANK TEAM G OPP RUSH OPP RUSH YDS YDS/RUSH OPP RUSH TDS YPG
1 Texas 3 73 120 1.64 0 40

The defense has been amazing.

Offense is bad; really bad.  No excuses.... next man up... la-de-da.... but I'm finding it hard to blame the coaches. 

Our two tackles last night were:  RT - 285LB (3 star) True Freshman;  LT - our backup RT from earlier in the season.  One of our guards is a TE converted to DT converted to OG.  And... according to our coach, we have one backup lineman that doesn't terrify him.  My point is this, if you cannot block, it doesn't matter what play you call and it doesn't matter how talented you are at RB / WR.  Offense is not going to be very good.  I loved Harrison's wright up, but calling the OL performance "average" is being kind.  I'm not blasting the kids.... effort is there; some are playing ahead of schedule and others are playing out of position. 

I hope Conner can come back ahead of schedule and our True Freshman RT continues to improve.  Otherwise, it is going to be a struggle offensively for the entire season. 

11 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

Offense is bad; really bad.  No excuses.... next man up... la-de-da.... but I'm finding it hard to blame the coaches. 

Our two tackles last night were:  RT - 285LB (3 star) True Freshman;  LT - our backup RT from earlier in the season.  One of our guards is a TE converted to DT converted to OG.  And... according to our coach, we have one backup lineman that doesn't terrify him.  My point is this, if you cannot block, it doesn't matter what play you call and it doesn't matter how talented you are at RB / WR.  Offense is not going to be very good.  I loved Harrison's wright up, but calling the OL performance "average" is being kind.  I'm not blasting the kids.... effort is there; some are playing ahead of schedule and others are playing out of position. 

I hope Conner can come back ahead of schedule and our True Freshman RT continues to improve.  Otherwise, it is going to be a struggle offensively for the entire season. 

Unfortunately, Connor Williams coming back is not going to solve a lot of the problems the offense has. The inability to establish the run goes back to the first game of the season, when Williams was fully healthy. 

17 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

The funny thing is that at halftime I was writing some thoughts and I was planning on complimenting the offensive line’s performance given the circumstances, then the second half happened....

1 minute ago, okiehorn said:

Has the TE from Jenks played any yet? I haven't noticed. Reese I believe his name is. Was suppose to be stepping up and playing well all camp? Bad blocker I guess? Or bad practice player lol

Reese Leitao has not played this year. At this point, I would expect him to redshirt. He was seen as a superior blocker to Brewer, but not as polished in the receiving game. Kendall Moore gives the coaching staff the luxury of not having to rush Leitao.

6 minutes ago, texbound said:

Granted the Iowa State defense was probably tired, but one bright spot for me was they got ball with over 4 minutes to play and never gave it back.  It's something, right?

Yea 7 1/2 min. That was impressive to finish the game

18 minutes ago, texbound said:

Granted the Iowa State defense was probably tired, but one bright spot for me was they got ball with over 4 minutes to play and never gave it back.  It's something, right?

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/705

We are #10 in Time of possession.   It would be better if Shane wouldn't snap the ball with the clock running and 20 seconds left on the play clock when we SHOULD be burning the clock. (last night a few times)

Great read guys, lots of great analysis here.

My thoughts.

1. While I said Sam was the one with the moxie, make no mistake Buechelle's bravery. If you look back on the TD pass to Carter, Buechelle gets leveled as he released the ball. IMO, He KNEW that was coming and yet got off the perfect pass anyway. 

2. Rowlands hit a 49-yarder last night. It basically sucked all the air out of Iowa State's hopes. But we hit a friggin' 49-yarder. It sounds better every time I say it. lol

3. I like Carter ALOT better than I used to. 

4. A. Foreman aggravates me so. I'm trying. I really am. lol

5. Since it's easier to find a G, can we move McMillon to LT? At this point, Nickelson plays like he's a hotel doorman or something.

6. Hats off to Boyd. He kept a top notch WR to only 64 yards and prevailed in his 13 attempts more than failed (5).

7. Orlando will need to leave for just the right job. In no way should he leave for a lower or mid tier school. He's better than Muschamp. 

8. I think I stand firm with what I said before. Sam fits this offense and seems to be able to overcome a really bad OC's play calling. There seemed to be a confidence in the air with Sam in there. I did not sense this again with Shane, though he did play well. He could play anywhere. But for a long period of time we didn't get it done with a far less fear-inflicting ISU front 7 (as opposed to USC's). Same OC. Same stupid play calling.  IMO, if we played OU last night, we lose.

9. LJH stepped up early as ISU had Johnson draped. LJH needs more touches.

10. Think about how many kids are out there right now – trying to find a Malik jersey or poster for their room. The way he played at times last night, you just don't see anywhere else. Not even Bama.

2 hours ago, 83Dee said:

"but I'm finding it hard to blame the coaches."

This.

I'm as guilty as anyone but the bottom line is that the coaches see and know things the average fan doesn't see and know. 

1 hour ago, oldhorn2 said:

Malik tackles like Nobis.Not as viciously as Nobis, but he grabs em up high and flings em. Nobis grabbed em up high and continued on through to smush the guy. I just realized that.

For the young guys....doing anything like Nobis is beyond a good thing.

Malik tackles like Nobis.Not as viciously as Nobis, but he grabs em up high and flings em. Nobis grabbed em up high and continued on through to smush the guy. I just realized that.

When Tommy hit'me they went back the other direction. They never fell forward.