Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bribery alleged in NCAA basketball ranks

joeywa

https://www.wsj.com/articles/arrests-expected-in-probe-of-alleged-bribery-kickbacks-at-college-basketball-programs-1506431065

Bribery, Kickbacks Alleged at Top NCAA College Basketball Programs 
Federal charges center on alleged scheme in which agents, financial advisers and apparel executives bribed college coaches to direct players to them

[IMG]
Chuck Person is a basketball coach with Auburn University. PHOTO: ICON SPORTSWIRE/ASSOCIATED PRESS

By Rebecca Davis O’Brien
Updated Sept. 26, 2017 10:45 a.m. ET

Federal authorities brought fraud charges against coaches at some of the nation’s premier college-basketball programs, including the University of Arizona and the University of Southern California, following a probe of alleged corruption in college sports. 

Prosecutors from the Manhattan U.S. Attorney’s Office unsealed three separate criminal complaints Tuesday, alleging schemes in which agents, financial advisers and apparel executives bribed college coaches to direct players to them.

Among those charged were an executive from Adidas, a financial adviser and a sports agent. Chuck Person, a former star with the National Basketball Association who works as an associate coach for the men’s basketball team at Auburn, his alma mater, was charged with accepting tens of thousands of dollars in exchange for steering student-athletes to a financial adviser.

In one alleged scheme, Emanuel Richardson, an assistant coach at the University of Arizona, Anthony Bland, a coach at the University of Southern California, and Lamont Evans, an associate coach at Oklahoma State University, were charged with accepting cash bribes from a sports agent and a financial adviser.

Mr. Evans, until March, coached at the University of South Carolina, and the charges stem from his work there.

None of schools allegedly involved immediately returned requests for comment.

In another alleged scheme, James “Jim” Gatto—identified in the complaint as a basketball marketing executive at a global athletic company—worked with another sports-marketing executive to funnel hundreds of thousands of dollars from Mr. Gatto’s employer to high-school basketball players and/or their families in exchange for the players’ commitment to play for NCAA schools sponsored by the company.

Jim Gatto is the director of basketball global sports marketing at Adidas, according to his LinkedIn profile. “Today, we became aware that federal investigators arrested an Adidas employee,” said an Adidas spokesman. ”We are learning more about the situation. We’re unaware of any misconduct and will fully cooperate with authorities to understand more.”

Mr. Gatto is accused of getting $100,000 to a player so that he would attend a university that has an apparel contract with Adidas.

2 hours ago, doc longhorn said:

Of course the first thing that came to my mind is whether or not Texas could in, anyway possible, be involved?  This kind of crap is systemic and i wonder if the investigations will migrate to football?  And everyone knows the AAU is probably complicit and corrupt to the core.

At this point, it's unlikely.

33 minutes ago, DMAC said:

Rick Pitino is out at Louisville.  News conference upcoming.  The fallout is probably just beginning.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2017/9/26/16367520/brian-bowen-louisville-cardinals-rick-pitino-ncaa-corruption-payment-texas-longhorns

Bowen was listed in reports.

Tip of the iceberg, IYAM. 

I'm guessing this thing is like a volcano on the brink of eruption.  It's not a NCAA thing, it's the feds that are involved.  And I'm betting the IRS comes into play once payments are verified to have been made and unreported.

In fact, as far as the NCAA, twitter has reported that the NCAA was purposely not informed.  If true, that would be very interesting.

Looks like Anfernee Simmons and Courtney Ramey decommitted from Louisville. I know Shaka offered Ramey, but no idea if there was any interest from Ramey. Anyone else know how that recruitment went? Considering he's a PG, he could be a great addition to the class.

On the flip side, I'm assuming there would be some concern about recruiting these kids given the events that have transpired. I'm assuming if you did pursue them, you might go through a process similar to Bamba's where the NCAA cleared him? Otherwise, I'd assume no programs would want to pursue these kids.

5 hours ago, longhorn_mig said:

Looks like Anfernee Simmons and Courtney Ramey decommitted from Louisville. I know Shaka offered Ramey, but no idea if there was any interest from Ramey. Anyone else know how that recruitment went? Considering he's a PG, he could be a great addition to the class.

On the flip side, I'm assuming there would be some concern about recruiting these kids given the events that have transpired. I'm assuming if you did pursue them, you might go through a process similar to Bamba's where the NCAA cleared him? Otherwise, I'd assume no programs would want to pursue these kids.

I wouldn't touch a Louisville recruit with a ten foot pole.  Tainted by association at the very least.