Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Are You #TeamBuechele Or #TeamEhlinger?

Daniel Seahorn

I want this team to continue to improve, get back to playing the quality of football we had become accustomed to. Get back to a team where we once again impose fear in our opponents.

With that said, I'm not a huge fan of qb controversy arguments, but I'll play along.  I think the biggest factors moving forward are health, experience, and system IQ. Sam is a bigger kid and can probably do more carrying the ball than Shane. Do we really want to consistently rely on either of these guys to carry the ball? Sam has great arm strength but I dont think it is drastically better than Shane. 

Shane has the experience, he has proven to be accurate, when healthy, and he knows the system. Herman admitted they condensed the system (plays, reads, checks, etc) for Sam. Moving forward we will need the non condensed version of our offense to be productive. Young, inexperienced Qbs usually are exposed by good defensive coaches as they get more film each week to use. They are both smart kids, no doubt, I think there is an evident drop-off in 'system IQ' from Shans to Sam currently. 

Go with the experience, I think Shane is a better athlete than we give him credit for anyway. At the end of the day, whoever is taking snaps gets my support. Hook'em!

14 hours ago, texbound said:

I'm #TeamLonghorn.  If the coaching staff feels Sam gives them the best chance to win then I'm for Sam.  Vice Versa.  I will say this though, I think Sam's frame and size would stand up better with a battered OL.

Pretty much my stance as well. Nice post. 

Texas has two QBs that both have shown sign that they can get it done now we just have to let it play out and see who takes the bull by the horns.

On another note:

I know everyone talks about Herman's offense being more effective with a running QB and I hate it. 

Without a QB you don't have sh*t. Running QBs are significant more like to go down with an injury. Why risk it?

Look at Florida St. right now.

USC without Darnold?

UCLA without Rosen?

Oklahoma without Mayfield?

And who can forget Texas vs Alabama.

10 hours ago, JMagana said:

Texas has two QBs that both have shown sign that they can get it done now we just have to let it play out and see who takes the bull by the horns.

On another note:

I know everyone talks about Herman's offense being more effective with a running QB and I hate it. 

Without a QB you don't have sh*t. Running QBs are significant more like to go down with an injury. Why risk it?

Look at Florida St. right now.

USC without Darnold?

UCLA without Rosen?

Oklahoma without Mayfield?

And who can forget Texas vs Alabama.

Good point, and I can't really argue with your logic.  However, it is also true that THIS offense is designed to have a running threat at QB.  I base that on what Herman did at OSU and UH.  It is his offense. 

Coaches can talk all they want about adapting to their talent, and good coaches do to an extend.  But don't kid yourself, they have their system that they want to fit kids into. 

I am #TeamBuechele. Love both of them though. Here is why I pick Shane:

1. I haven't seen anything in these two games that makes me think Sam is that much of a better runner. I keep seeing that is the reason to start him but I just haven't seen anything for me to think he's that much better than Shane in this sense. Not saying it isn't in there. I just haven't seen it.

2. I want the QB to be able to get rid of the ball quickly and accurately with this O-line. That is Shane. He has appeared to be far more accurate than what I have seen from Sam so far. He can also get through those progressions quicker than Sam. 

3. I just can't get out of my head how bad our offense was for 55 minutes last game. in 12 possessions the offense accounted for 3 points, 3 turnovers, and only 178 yards. Now, a LOT goes into that being so bad. It isn't on Ehlinger. I just think if Shane is in there we complete a few more of those short passes on 1st and 2nd down that make it easier on 3rd down.

4. All this goes out of the window if Buechele is still not healthy. Sam needs to start until Shane is fully good to go! I don't want him playing hurt like most of last year. Ehlinger is a lot better than Swoopes and not a huge drop off to the backup. Keep Shane healthy.

I remember when Shane Buechele was the QB Du Jour.  I remember when everyone (including the mods) were saying he was the anointed one and would take us to the promised land.

Where are those guys now?

Every year it is the same thing.  The arm chair QB's howl for the next man up.

And the only reason people are saying Sam is a better fit is because some talking head or mod said it is so.  And neither of them know diddly.

Here is my take on Shane.  The kid is smart and, last year, made WAY better decisions than a true freshman should have.  And, lest we forget, that is exactly what he was. In addition, if I am a first year coach, making 5M a year, I damn sure want the most experienced QB running my offense. Especially now that I am 1 - 2 for the season.

And here is another point - is Herman a football coach or not? (I am not sold on Beck, what so ever)  IMO, a good football coach fits his offense to the talent on hand.  He doesn't try to squeeze unsuitable or mediocre talent to a pre-conceived offense.  He had a QB with a years experience and a true freshman.

Me, I'm going with the experience and designing an offense to meet his skills.

USC ate Sam alive, as it should have.  I'm convinced we would have done better with Shane.  Those of you that argue that Sam avoided several sacks are overlooking the 9 sacks that he took.  His legs sure didn't help him then.

I'm thinking Shane's experience and excellent arm would have mitigated his lesser running ability by dumping off or throwing away passes.  Something that true freshman didn't do.

2 hours ago, doc longhorn said:

I remember when Shane Buechele was the QB Du Jour.  I remember when everyone (including the mods) were saying he was the anointed one and would take us to the promised land.

And the only reason people are saying Sam is a better fit is because some talking head or mod said it is so.  And neither of them know diddly.

Here is my take on Shane.  The kid is smart and, last year, made WAY better decisions than a true freshman should have.  And, lest we forget, that is exactly what he was. In addition, if I am a first year coach, making 5M a year, I damn sure want the most experienced QB running my offense. Especially now that I am 1 - 2 for the season.

And here is another point - is Herman a football coach or not? (I am not sold on Beck, what so ever)  IMO, a good football coach fits his offense to the talent on hand.  He doesn't try to squeeze unsuitable or mediocre talent to a pre-conceived offense.  He had a QB with a years experience and a true freshman.

USC ate Sam alive, as it should have.  I'm convinced we would have done better with Shane.  Those of you that argue that Sam avoided several sacks are overlooking the 9 sacks that he took.  His legs sure didn't help him then.

I'm thinking Shane's experience and excellent arm would have mitigated his lesser running ability by dumping off or throwing away passes.  Something that true freshman didn't do.

Consider that some people never bought into Shane last year.  If Shane starts I will root for Texas.  If Sam starts I will root for Texas.

I'm #TeamLetsGitItPoppin

While I have a preference or an opinion on who I'd rather see run this offense, ultimately the kid to do it will be who Coach Herman sees fit.  I'll continue to believe that he knows better than me and trust that he'll roll with who he's most comfortable with and is the best for this team. HOOK 'EM!

6 hours ago, doc longhorn said:

I don't think it is a stretch to view what Herman did at OSU and UH and then deduce, his offense is designed to have a running threat at QB.  Therefore, a QB who can run is a better fit for said offense.  I think people can come up with that formula without the help of a "talking head." 

I will stick to what I said earlier:  Right now Shane is a better QB.  Sam is a better fit for the scheme.  The coaches seem to prefer Sam.  And.... I would start Shane. 

Who fed you your opinion?   

55 minutes ago, Dbut82 said:

I'm #TeamLetsGitItPoppin

While I have a preference or an opinion on who I'd rather see run this offense, ultimately the kid to do it will be who Coach Herman sees fit.  I'll continue to believe that he knows better than me and trust that he'll roll with who he's most comfortable with and is the best for this team. HOOK 'EM!

Oh, but you're missing out on so much forum fun!!

2 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

The thing about Shane last year....He was so much better than what we had seen for 4 years, I was happy to have him.

Absolutely! He was a true freshman leading an offensive unit on its third OC in three years.

He is the only QB in the history of the program to start every game as a freshman. (he must not be too frail)

He tied Bobby Layne for the most wins in a season by a freshman QB.

His three passing touchdowns against OU tied Vince Young for the most ever.

Buechele is in unchartered territory for a Longhorn QB. He tied or broke nearly every record for a freshman QB and passed for the 7th most yards in a single season by any QB.

Most of his detractors disregard all of his personal statistics. They just lament on the 5-8 record as proof he isn't a "winner". The only other freshman QB to win a measly 5 games had his #22 retired at Texas and is in the College and Professional Football Hall of Fame. His defense in those five wins allowed the opponent to score a total of 7 points. UTEP scored 7 on us last year and our defense gave up 131 points in the 5 wins.

How many programs could have a "QB controversy" between a record setting incumbent and newcomer with two games under his belt and one win?

Texas Fight! yes, over some ignorant stuff.

seems like I remember Shane was one of the top dual threat QB's in his class. I have yet to see anything that tells me that Sam is a better runner. I have seen that Sam is hands down a better lead blocker, but that is not what you want from your QB.Sam did take a hell of a lick and just hopped right back up, but I saw Shane do the same against ND. I am ok with whomever the coaches decide on....but I will be surprised if it is not Shane.If he is healthy.

6 hours ago, Embrey said:

Consider that some people never bought into Shane last year.  If Shane starts I will root for Texas.  If Sam starts I will root for Texas.

The only objection I heard about Shane, last year. was he was just a true freshman.  And that was a valid objection - just like Sam this year.

As far as rooting for one or another  - of course, we all will.  But that wasn't the OP question.

Just now, doc longhorn said:

The only objection I heard about Shane, last year. was he was just a true freshman.  And that was a valid objection - just like Sam this year.

As far as rooting for one or another  - of course, we all will.  But that wasn't the OP question.

Of course I don't expect you to remember comments I made during the season last season but I made them nonetheless.  I questioned Shane's ability to consistently complete anything other than a hitch or a hook, usually no more than 7 yards downfield.  Over the middle was a crap shoot with him.  The deep ball was usually either to a receiver running a stride beyond the defender or that he benefitted more than not on the 50/50 balls he threw to long receivers like Johnson et al.  He had the best back since Cedric which obviously brought the linebackers and safeties forward.  Will he impress in the play action game if Porter and the depleted O line cannot find a way to improve? 

But other than that I think we are in total agreement.

2 hours ago, 83Dee said:

I don't think it is a stretch to view what Herman did at OSU and UH and then deduce, his offense is designed to have a running threat at QB.  Therefore, a QB who can run is a better fit for said offense.  I think people can come up with that formula without the help of a "talking head." 

I will stick to what I said earlier:  Right now Shane is a better QB.  Sam is a better fit for the scheme.  The coaches seem to prefer Sam.  And.... I would start Shane. 

Who fed you your opinion?   

Ha, ha - seriously?  Who fed me my opinion?  That comment sounds like hurt feelings.

The opinion I expressed was I don't really give a damn what Herman ran in the past.  If he is any kind of coach at all, he will adapt his offense to the talent he has.  Now, that being said, I wouldn't be surprised if he let Beck have his head on what offense to run.  At least I hope that is the case.

And my feeling on "fit" is there are probably several high school QB's that would "fit" Herman's offense.  But they would be too young - just like Sam.  So it's academic

My whole point being if he wanted to "fit" a kid, how about fitting a kid to an offense suitable to his skills?  A kid with experience? A kid that has passing accuracy almost the same as Colt?