Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

COVID-19 ALERT: All University of Texas Athletics competitions/games cancelled until Sunday March 29th

bevacmdg17.jpg

The Vegas line on Saturday's Texas vs. San Jose State game has the Longhorns opening as 27.5 point favorites over the Spartans at Darrell K. Royal - Texas Memorial Stadium in Austin. Texas (0-1) lost its season opener to Maryland 51-41, struggling to find an identity on both sides of the ball in Tom Herman's debut as head coach.  

Quarterback Shane Buechele threw for 375 yards and two touchdowns, but the lack of a running game and offensive line issues proved problematic for the offense throughout the game.

While the offense had its share of problems, Todd Orlando's defense wasn't without blame.  The Maryland rushing offense gashed the Longhorns for 263 yards while the quarterback tandem of Tyrrell Pigrome and Kasim Hill combined for 219 yards passing.  When it was all said and done the Terrapins amassed 482 yards of total offense.

The loss to the Terrapins extended the team losing streak to four games, dating back to November 12, 2016. San Jose State (1-1) lost its season opener to Charlie Strong and South Florida 42-22, following up the loss by defeating Cal Poly 34-13 on Saturday.

True Freshman quarterback Sam Ehlinger could see playing time on Saturday against the Spartans, as Shane Buechele is nursing a shoulder injury sustained in Saturday's contest.  Regardless of which player starts at quarterback on Saturday, wide receiver Collin Johnson says his focus is on his game.

Whoever is in, I’m just going to do my part. I can’t control who is playing, but I can control what I do. My route depth, how I run my routes – that’s all I can worry about. I try not to get outside of what I can worry about. Whoever is in, I’m just going to do my part.

This week San Jose State named redshirt freshman quarterback Montel Aaron as the team's starter for Saturday's contest.  Aaron won the starting job after coming off the bench against Cal Poly, replacing a struggling Josh Love and leading the Spartans to victory.

Texas, ranked #23 in both the Associated Press and Coaches Preseason Top 25 Polls, dropped from both after starting the season 0-1.

The Longhorns look to right the ship on Saturday at 2:30 pm in front of an exasperated crowd that threw trash trash on the field as the game clock expired in the loss to Maryland.

Game:  Texas vs. San Jose State
Date: Saturday, September 9, 2017
Time: 2:30 PM CST
Venue:  Darrell K. Royal - Texas Memorial Stadium

I live here in Vegas...the line has nothing to do with how they really think the came will actually come out

Look at it this way, if they put the line at 14.5, everyone and their kid sister would jump on that number, same with if they put it at 21..but making Texas a 4 TD favorite makes you think..before the Maryland game you would have laid the points without hesitation..Now it makes you pause for a second...Its not about how many points UT will score, they will probably rack up at least 5-6 TD's but how many will the defense give up..the Over/Under is at 62...a score of 42-20 would hit that number...I think Texas will cover the number but they will make your butt pucker to the bitter end to do it...

15 minutes ago, Adferrum said:

Probably too high, but all I want to see is a W and improvement on both sides of the ball

Man, I got to admit that I will disappointed with anything less than a totally dominating win against San Jose State. Meaning a win of 30+ points MINIMUM and preferably 40+. 

34 minutes ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Man, I got to admit that I will disappointed with anything less than a totally dominating win against San Jose State. Meaning a win of 30+ points MINIMUM and preferably 40+. 

You're setting yourself up to get disappointed ;)

I'm fine if I don't shout at my TV because of any blunders on our side, whatever that'd mean score-wise

1 hour ago, Adferrum said:

You're setting yourself up to get disappointed ;)

Basically 2 options for every fan.  Ride the roller coaster of emotions:

1.  Expect a blowout - drunk on pre season kool-aid

2.  Get slammed to reality that your team isnt very good after the next game.

3.  Get pissed off and want revenge on the next team on the schedule OR get depressed and be happy beating a relative doormat team by 3 points in a knock down drag out fight.

If its the former you might feel better for a bit until you realize you just beat up a doormat team.  If its the latter you might feel good for a bit until you realize you barely beat doormat team.  

Either way you're screwed and go back to step 2.  This has been our cycle for the last 5 years or so at a minimum.

The one caveat is beating an overrated ND team and talking CFB Playoffs then realizing they sucked more than your team.

8 hours ago, DMAC said:

Basically 2 options for every fan.  Ride the roller coaster of emotions:

1.  Expect a blowout - drunk on pre season kool-aid

2.  Get slammed to reality that your team isnt very good after the next game.

3.  Get pissed off and want revenge on the next team on the schedule OR get depressed and be happy beating a relative doormat team by 3 points in a knock down drag out fight.

If its the former you might feel better for a bit until you realize you just beat up a doormat team.  If its the latter you might feel good for a bit until you realize you barely beat doormat team.  

Either way you're screwed and go back to step 2.  This has been our cycle for the last 5 years or so at a minimum.

The one caveat is beating an overrated ND team and talking CFB Playoffs then realizing they sucked more than your team.

Yes and no. I'm not being depressed, I'm just trying to be somewhat realistic. I'll cut the coaching stuff some slack for the first game. Sure, it was ugly and I was upset / disappointed after that. But I still believe, like from the moment 9 months ago when we hired TH, that he is the right guy to turn this program around. And I won't let one 4 hour span define a body of 9 works of good months, at least as far as you can judge that from the recruiting class he has assembled and the positive energy surrounding this team going into the season. I know many, myself included, wanted to see instant results, hoping that this year could be a breakout year. But, being realistic, it's probably not that likely. 

Yet, what I want to see is following: Constant improvement of the team. It's ok to make mistakes, but it's not ok to make the same mistakes over and over again. We made a lot of mistakes against MD, and I want to see those cleaned up. A good coach is able to improve the performance of the team throughout the season and that's how I'm going to judge this coaching staff. Old habits can be hard to break and unrealistic expectations are going to set you up for disappointment. As embarrassing as Saturday's loss was, I'm fine with it as long as we learn from it and make the right adjustments going into the future. Texas rallying back in Q3 shows me that the staff is able to do that. A win Saturday is probably not going to mean that much in evaluating where the team stands, but heck it's a lot better to defeat a mediocre SJSU team than potentially getting blown out by USC. Let the team build some confidence, see what works and maybe they'll get that ah-ha moment TH talked about.

4 hours ago, Adferrum said:

Yes and no. I'm not being depressed, I'm just trying to be somewhat realistic. I'll cut the coaching stuff some slack for the first game.

It was the first game of the season for the a new head coach and staff and we all knew that.  Still even the most conservative predictions had us winning by 10 points or more.  I dont think predicting a 10 point win was unrealistic.  Maryland was 3-3 in the big 10 and 6-7 overall last year.  I have rationalized bad football for so long now I cant do it anymore.  I remember this same stuff after the first few losses in Strongs tenure and it was talent pool issues.  Welp its year 4 and what is it now?

"It's ok to make mistakes, but it's not ok to make the same mistakes over and over again. We made a lot of mistakes against MD, and I want to see those cleaned up."

Take a number.  I am still waiting for the mistakes against Arkansas (2014) to be fixed.  Run fits.  

Yet, what I want to see is following: Constant improvement of the team. It's ok to make mistakes, but it's not ok to make the same mistakes over and over again

You just summarized my Longhorn football life the last 5+ years.  Unfortunately I wish I could say there has been improvement but there hasnt.  Atleast we had a defense 2013 with Hicks and Edmunds at LB but we had an inept offense.  

I am sure we will improve because honestly it cant get much worse.  Kansas was the low point last year but our defense is so freaking pathetic its hard for me to see how ANYONE can be optimistic about this shit show being displayed on the field.

For me I had my Tom Herman AH-HA moment during the game.  AH-HA I bought into the koolaid AGAIN.  Disappointed AGAIN.  No fitting the run AGAIN.  AH-HA we suck AGAIN.   Months of hope and anticipation slapped me in the face AGAIN.

I guess 5 million a year doesnt cover fundamental football packages anymore.  The only fundamental I saw was we fundamentally suck on defense.  If we get beat by better players so be it, I can live with that.  This BS of beating ourselves because these guys cant take the correct angles or fit the run or keep receivers in front of them is mind blowing.  I do not believe in participation trophies.