Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
NLeininger

According to Hookem.com, Sam to start against SJSU

Even if Sam starts in place of Shane (injured), the offensive line will need to drastically improve!!!  Tom Brady would end up concussed the way the offensive line performed this past Saturday.

1 hour ago, hornag said:

Even if Sam starts in place of Shane (injured), the offensive line will need to drastically improve!!!  Tom Brady would end up concussed the way the offensive line performed this past Saturday.

This is a misnomer. The OL played better than most think. Sure they had their breakdowns, all OLs due but Shane was not running for his life as many would have you believe. Most of the time he was running for his life it was because he failed to execute himself. It's hard to say about run blocking when they only got 16 chances, there are improvements to be made no doubt, about that is across the board on offense.

Plus an OL looks much better when you get elite play from the QB position. Texas OL in 2005 was considered elite (of the 8 guys that were in the rotation), only 2 guys had any kind of a NFL career, and neither were considered AP level players.

As I've said elsewhere on this board, Shane was far from perfect, but he was far from the most glaring issue. Also, I definitely don't expect there to be a "perfect pocket for 10 seconds every time," nor should Shane. But I think he should also expect for his line to provide some blocking. I can clearly recall straight whiffs by McMillon and Nickelson in the first half, in addition to repeated protection breakdowns. Additionally, although he's not a lineman, Gray was asked to block and pass protect, and we all know how that turned out.

I'll give you that they played better in the second half, but they set the bar pretty low in that first half.

2 hours ago, NLeininger said:

This is a misnomer. The OL played better than most think. Sure they had their breakdowns, all OLs due but Shane was not running for his life as many would have you believe. Most of the time he was running for his life it was because he failed to execute himself. It's hard to say about run blocking when they only got 16 chances, there are improvements to be made no doubt, about that is across the board on offense.

Plus an OL looks much better when you get elite play from the QB position. Texas OL in 2005 was considered elite (of the 8 guys that were in the rotation), only 2 guys had any kind of a NFL career, and neither were considered AP level players.

This is correct from my replay I watched. Yes Tristan nickelson and grey SUCK. But a lot of the time Shane had the time but ran left or right outside of his blockers and then it was game over. He early stayed in the pocket going thru his progressions. It was glaring. O-Line def wasn't on point but Shane did have more than a few self inflicting sacks. Just because we get a offensive coordinator that's like a running QB doesn't make you a runner. Stick with what your good at. 

54 minutes ago, longhorn_mig said:

As I've said elsewhere on this board, Shane was far from perfect, but he was far from the most glaring issue. Also, I definitely don't expect there to be a "perfect pocket for 10 seconds every time," nor should Shane. But I think he should also expect for his line to provide some blocking. I can clearly recall straight whiffs by McMillon and Nickelson in the first half, in addition to repeated protection breakdowns. Additionally, although he's not a lineman, Gray was asked to block and pass protect, and we all know how that turned out.

I'll give you that they played better in the second half, but they set the bar pretty low in that first half.

Herman has said that Shane audibled on that play that lead to McMillon shifting his assignment left. The idea was to hit the hot route from where the vacating LB was coming from. Shane and Brewer didn't execute.

Far from perfect is the correct way to describe quarters 1-3, then the 4th quarter happened. In the 1st 13 minutes Shane was 3-9 for 28 yards, which included 4 near picks by Maryland(3 dropped and a pick 6 nullified). It went from a 3 point game to a 17 point game due to offense futility with Shane's abysmal playing being one the main reasons.

16 minutes ago, NLeininger said:

It went from a 3 point game to a 17 point game due to offense futility with Shane's abysmal playing being one the main reasons.

I guess you're giving a pass to the defense with respect to it becoming a 17-point game? I guess we're going to ignore the 2 holding calls that negated first downs?

33 minutes ago, longhorn_mig said:

I guess you're giving a pass to the defense with respect to it becoming a 17-point game? I guess we're going to ignore the 2 holding calls that negated first downs?

Well one drive started at Maryland's 48 and the other started at Texas's 24. Not a pass, but I recognize the difficult position they were put in. Yes, Williams had a bad drive when it was 44-34. Though the 2nd hold was a product of Shane bailing out of the pocket instead of stepping up into it. That doesn't excuse 3-9 for 28 yards.

I also acknowledge the symbiotic relationship between an offense and defense in college, and how the defense might have felt to see 

1) them spot the offense a 7 point lead and another 3 and out, only to see the offense shit the bad completely on the 1st drive, and having to go back on the field after an INT and a short field.

2) them turns things around and cut the lead to 3, after the punt return, get another couple of stops to keep it at 37-34 only to see the offense not do a damn thing, instead give Maryland the ball back twice with short fields again to defend.

As badly as the defense played, it was 37-34, Maryland and just lost their starting QB. All Texas needed to do was have their offense take the lead, and Buechele couldn't get the job done.

Winners find a way to win, period.

I already posted my thoughts in another thread that I don't believe Shane is the leader this team needs. Yet, your clear desire to blame Shane for this loss has somehow turned me into a Shane apologist. Based on your arguments, sounds like we just need to change our QB. Here's to hoping your right. It would be nice if it was that simple.

Still think that Tom Brady would have ended up concussed with the way we performed against Maryland, but do agree that Shane's performance left a lot to be considered.  His decision making needs to be much improved.  Coach Herman did comment on the  play when Nickelson shifted to the left and Shane blew it rather than Nickelson.

As I've said before, I by no means think Shane had a great performance, but his performance was one of many issues leading to the loss. Also, I assume you're talking about McMillon, not Nickelson. Not trying to be a smart ass...just don't want to let Nickelson off the hook for his abysmal performance.

13 hours ago, longhorn_mig said:

I already posted my thoughts in another thread that I don't believe Shane is the leader this team needs. Yet, your clear desire to blame Shane for this loss has somehow turned me into a Shane apologist. Based on your arguments, sounds like we just need to change our QB. Here's to hoping your right. It would be nice if it was that simple.

I'm not blaming Shane for the loss. It was a team loss from the coaching staff all the way down to Garrett Gray. No one executed at a level that was conducive to winning a football game against a P5 opponent, how much of a quality opponent is TBD. My point and has been from the beginning is to have a discussion that Shane's final stats were deceiving, and he like the rest of his teammates struggled for stretches of the game contributing to the loss,