Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Not Afraid to Say Heard Should Be Playing QB


 Share

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

NTG, 

Are you really going to use TWO passes to make your case for Heard as a passer? If you are going to cherry pick the highlights then lets make sure you get the lowlights in there as well. 

 

Okay, so if the lowlights can be used to "prove" that he could not be a passing threat then why can't the highlights be used to "prove" that he could be a passing threat? 

No question he had some definite lowlights. I get that. But he was also working under the biggest shitshow of an offensive coaching staff that Texas might have ever had.  Anyone who thinks otherwise is just kidding themselves. And anyone who watched the Cal game that year and says he doesn't have the potential to be a better than average QB is kidding themselves. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Okay, so if the lowlights can be used to "prove" that he could not be a passing threat then why can't the highlights be used to "prove" that he could be a passing threat? 

No question he had some definite lowlights. I get that. But he was also working under the biggest shitshow of an offensive coaching staff that Texas might have ever had.  Anyone who thinks otherwise is just kidding themselves. And anyone who watched the Cal game that year and says he doesn't have the potential to be a better than average QB is kidding themselves. 

That Cal defense was one of the worst in the entire country, NTG. They made every QB look good that year. 

He never came close to looking that good again the rest of the year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

That Cal defense was one of the worst in the entire country, NTG. They made every QB look good that year. 

He never came close to looking that good again the rest of the year. 

And no QB looked better against them than Heard.

When I get time, I will provide some very interesting, and surprising, stats for the Cal defense that year. Pretty much no team and QB put up the stats and points against them that Texas did with the exception of UCLA.

For instance, only one team scored more points against them than Texas did. And Josh Rosen, who is pretty good btw, threw for only 35 more yards than Heard did. But it took him 16 more attempts to do so. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Brandon17 said:

This has to be the most idiotic hot take I have seen in a long time. 

Not really.  NTG has a point.  Heard and Lil Jordan moved the ball in the wildcat.  Heard converted a much needed 3rd and 4 from the wildcat and Lil Jordan lone carry went for 21 yards.  Shane never had the protection so why not go with what works.  Not saying Heard should be the QB but Hermans offense needs a mobile QB (ward, Miller, Barrett) and watching Shane run the ball reminded me of derpy Case McCoy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

And no QB looked better against them than Heard.

When I get time, I will provide some very interesting, and surprising, stats for the Cal defense that year. Pretty much no team and QB put up the stats and points against them that Texas did with the exception of UCLA.

For instance, only one team scored more points against them than Texas did. And Josh Rosen, who is pretty good btw, threw for only 35 more yards than Heard did. But it took him 16 more attempts to do so. 

 

I don't need the stats, man. You aren't going to convince me with one game of stats that Jerrod Heard is the answer. 

If the staff thought he could competently run the offense then they would have gave him significant reps in the spring instead of keeping him at WR and opting to only use him in an emergency. 

If Heard ends up having to play QB this year then Texas is on its last legs at this position. That's the only way I see it playing out. 

I'm not really interested in going in circles about this further. You can't keep at it if you like. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

look at the type of QB that has been winning National Championships the last couple of years...its not a SB type...its a JH type of QB...the game has evolved much like BB which is now dominated by your point guard..Football is no different at the college level, pros is a different story...but for college  not so much..Throwing the ball 50 times a game doesn't win championships...pounding the rock, solid defense, and a playmaker at QB does...

don't get me wrong Im not in favor of scrapping SB at QB but IMO he doesn't look comfortable in this offensive scheme...

Sam may be the QB of the future with this staff but he  is as green a QB as they come..JH has game experience and we all know he IS a playmaker...he is closer to what Hermann had at UH...just might be worth some consideration

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Hiwood said:

look at the type of QB that has been winning National Championships the last couple of years...its not a SB type...its a JH type of QB

Very true.  Herman former QB Greg Ward Jr made the Eagles practice squad as a slot receiver.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, UTK66 said:

The Heard at QB ship has sailed. His shoulder injury will not allow him to throw anywhere near the way he would need too. I thought everyone knew/remembered this. I guess not. 

I'm asking because I don't know. But wasn't his shoulder injury 2 years ago? I don't know anything of the severity but is it not completely healed by now? Also, didn't that injury happen during the previous staff? I still don't understand why the current staff hasn't given Heard a legitimate look...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

I don't need the stats, man. You aren't going to convince me with one game of stats that Jerrod Heard is the answer. 

If the staff thought he could competently run the offense then they would have gave him significant reps in the spring instead of keeping him at WR and opting to only use him in an emergency. 

If Heard ends up having to play QB this year then Texas is on its last legs at this position. That's the only way I see it playing out. 

I'm not really interested in going in circles about this further. You can't keep at it if you like. 

 

In other words you don't like discussion on a discussion board when someone has a different viewpoint than you do. 

As I've always said, just because you agree with me doesn't mean you are smart and just because you disagree with me doesn't mean you are stupid. You don't seem to think that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, North Texas Golfer said:

In other words you don't like discussion on a discussion board when someone has a different viewpoint than you do. 

As I've always said, just because you agree with me doesn't mean you are smart and just because you disagree with me doesn't mean you are stupid. You don't seem to think that. 

I'm not stopping anyone from having the discussion. You and everyone else can participate in this thread as long as you like. 

This topic has come up several times since I've come onboard and I've gave my insight and opinion every single time and it hasn't changed. 

I don't care that you have a different opinion than me. Nobody here agrees on every single thing and that's perfectly fine because that's what drives this message board. 

I'm choosing to back out of the conversation because this particular subject is a dead horse that's been beaten to death. There's no new information whatsoever to lead me to believe Heard would be a successful quarterback in this system or any other system. Until that becomes available we are literally just spinning our tires and rehashing old points. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just saw an interesting post on Brainiacs.  Considering the first line about the team being prepared :huh: not sure how much validity the last line has.

Quote

*Going into the game the team was very confident. They watched a ton of film. I was told that pretty much any free time the players had they were watching film. They were prepared.

*I was told that there was no panic at halftime. Coach Herman reminded the guys that they had trained hard for moments like this. The big takeaway is that ultimately, as Herman spoke about in his presser, there is no magic formula. You have to work and work until that work shows up consistently on the field.

*I was also told that there was a lot teaching in practice yesterday and very little yelling. It’s very clear based on my conversations with folks that the staff isn’t panicked. And they shouldn’t be. As much as folks might not want to hear it, you build a team through work and preparation. The light hasn’t come on yet but if you’re preparing the right way, it will.

(hopefully run fits)

*I do expect to see some changes in the upcoming games. The offensive line all on the same page and picking up the calls is something that will get remedied. I think you’ll see more 10 personnel (0 tight ends on the field).

*Also, don’t be surprised if Jerrod Heard gets some work at QB this week. – (Super K)

Quote

 UPDATE (6:15 pm): I alluded to it above but have confirmed that Jerrod Heard will take second team QB reps this week. The team will practice tomorrow afternoon so we will try to re-confirm at that point. – (Super K)

Probably just the shoulder bruise to Shane

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, okiehorn said:

I'm assuming super K was speaking of heard getting 2nd team QB snaps because he knows Shane is hurt, as it was reported on this site also...

Yea Heard basically the emergency QB if Shane is out then Sam goes with 1's and Heard will be with 2's.

I never saw it reported on this site.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/3/2017 at 1:41 AM, utb040713 said:

Remember Iowa State in 2015? Defenses figured out that if they just spied him the whole game, he was totally ineffective.

Buechele didn't look great--and in my opinion he didn't play as well as his stat line suggests--but calling for the QB's head after he completed 65% of his passes for almost 400 yards in his sophomore year doesn't really make a lot of sense.

20% of those yards came when the game was already decided. He was average on Saturday, just like he's been average most Saturdays at Texas. This staff was brought in to run a scheme that Buechele is not a fit to run. They can change it, but they've never run that scheme before.

To be a successful QB(team wins 10+ games consistently) in the Big 12, you need to be either an elite thrower of the football or a true DT. Shane, is neither of these.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since a couple of mods have said that I'm cherry-picking a few plays or one game, let's look at Heard's stat lines from 2015:

Notre Dame: Passing 1/1 for 10 yards, Rushing 2 carries for -12 yards
Rice: Passing 4/7 for 120 yards, 2 TD; Rushing 9 carries for 91 yards
Cal: Passing 20/31 for 364 yards, 1 INT; Rushing 24 carries for 163 yards, 3 TD
TCU: Passing 8/20 for 48 yards; Rushing 12 carries for 23 yards
OU: Passing 8/11 for 53 yards, 1 TD; Rushing 21 carries for 115 yards
KSU: Passing 10/15 for 99 yards; Rushing 15 carries for 61 yards

ISU: Passing 6/9 for 26 yards, 1 INT; Rushing 9 carries for 13 yards
KU: Passing 13/23 for 201 yards, 1 TD; Rushing 9 carries for 38 yards
WVU: Passing 11/18 for 162 yards, 1 TD/2 INT; Rushing 12 carries for 17 yards
TxTech: Passing 2/5 for 12 yards; 4 rushes for -1 yards
BU: Passing 0/2 for 0 yards; 3 rushes for 0 yards

Heard was playing hurt in the last 2 games and barely played in the ND game. 

Look at the bolded games and you will see that he was effective in 5 of 8 games despite an absolute incompetent offensive coaching staff. Does anyone on here want to guess what our record was in those 5 games? Try 4-1 and you know what happened in the loss to Cal. Yea, we beat OU and KSU! And you're going to tell me that he doesn't have the potential to be an effective QB? 

 

Edited by North Texas Golfer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll put my comments to bed after this but my only issue regarding Heard and the new staff is why wasn't he given a legit look at the position.  Heard is undoubtedly the most athletic of the quarterbacks and one of the most electric players on the roster.  He's a former 2 time state champion (high school, I know) with game winning experience at the position on the college level.  I know he suffered a shoulder injury a couple of years ago but considering our lack of elite depth at the position AND the plethora of talent we have at wide receiver, to me, it makes no sense that he wasn't given an opportunity.  I'm sure there are plenty of "issues" regarding him that I'm not privy, and that's fine.  But it just doesn't make sense to me especially considering the qb's Herman has had success with in his system seem to be more of the Heard mold than the Buechele type...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Since a couple of mods have said that I'm cherry-picking a few plays or one game, let's look at Heard's stat lines from 2015:

Notre Dame: Passing 1/1 for 10 yards, Rushing 2 carries for -12 yards
Rice: Passing 4/7 for 120 yards, 2 TD; Rushing 9 carries for 91 yards
Cal: Passing 20/31 for 364 yards, 1 INT; Rushing 24 carries for 163 yards, 3 TD
TCU: Passing 8/20 for 48 yards; Rushing 12 carries for 23 yards
OU: Passing 8/11 for 53 yards, 1 TD; Rushing 21 carries for 115 yards
KSU: Passing 10/15 for 99 yards; Rushing 15 carries for 61 yards

ISU: Passing 6/9 for 26 yards, 1 INT; Rushing 9 carries for 13 yards
KU: Passing 13/23 for 201 yards, 1 TD; Rushing 9 carries for 38 yards
WVU: Passing 11/18 for 162 yards, 1 TD/2 INT; Rushing 12 carries for 17 yards
TxTech: Passing 2/5 for 12 yards; 4 rushes for -1 yards
BU: Passing 0/2 for 0 yards; 3 rushes for 0 yards

Heard was playing hurt in the last 2 games and barely played in the ND game. 

Look at the bolded games and you will see that he was effective in 5 of 8 games despite an absolute incompetent offensive coaching staff. Does anyone on here want to guess what our record was in those 5 games? Try 4-1 and you know what happened in the loss to Cal. Yea, we beat OU and KSU! And you're going to tell me that he doesn't have the potential to be an effective QB? 

 

I agree 100% NTG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't care what you say, this is badass right here. Check out the play at 1:47. And while you are at it, check out the throw on the very next play.

Heard is not as good as VY was. But he is the closest thing to him that we have seen at Texas. And anyone who thinks his passing can't improve is crazy.

Edited by North Texas Golfer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

🏈 Texas vs. Baylor

  • Days
  • Hours
  • Minutes
  • Seconds

McLane Stadium
Waco, TX
Kickoff Time TBA - TV TBA


  • 2021 Texas Football Schedule

    Week
    Opponent
    W/L
    9/4
    Louisiana
    W 38-18
    9/11
    @Arkansas
    L 21-40
    9/18
    Rice
    W 58-0
    9/25
    Texas Tech
    W 70-35
    10/2
    @TCU
    W 32-27
    10/9
    Oklahoma
    L 48-55
    10/16
    Oklahoma State
    L 24-32
    10/30
    @Baylor
    11/6
    @Iowa State
    11/13
    Kansas
    11/20
    @West Virginia
    11/27
    Kansas State

Our Affiliation

USATDP_Logo.png

Quick Links

×
×
  • Create New...